Proposal: Avs-Preds Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yes they are UFAs but they are also great players so they would have big value for a contending team...

Lacking some context here, seems to me.
Yes contenders often pay 1st's for high-upside rentals,
but usually their own upcoming 1st's, likely late in round

Not sure there is ANY precedent for top-drafted, blue-chip guys like Byram or Newhook going for rentals

Glad to be shown wrong if I am overlooking similar prior deals.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Lacking some context here, seems to me.
Yes contenders often pay 1st's for high-upside rentals,
but usually their own upcoming 1st's, likely late in round

Not sure there is ANY precedent for top-drafted, blue-chip guys like Byram or Newhook going for rentals

Glad to be shown wrong if I am overlooking similar prior deals.
Contenders seem to be paying those projected late 1st picks for mid-upside rentals in deadline. These guys are legit high upside for full season+likely more.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s just too big. There’s going “all-in” and then there is risking everything for a single season. The fact is the Avs don’t have the resources to keep both FF9 and Ekholm long term and that means this is a one shot deal. It’s a bridge too far. It’s reckless.

I have no problem with the Preds demanding a haul for their second and third best players, neither should be looked at as a rental and any team willing to pay the price in a trade that Nashville will want for one of them is going to do so almost explicitly with the intention of resigning them. But the simple fact is for the Avs - there’s no way to make this work especially not with the bill coming due on MacKinnon on the horizon.

If at the deadline the Preds still haven’t signed these guys and are looking to sell and if the Avs have a big problem on defense or offense - I could certainly see one of them being a target. But now, for both these guys with the Preds clearly not looking to sell and the Avs wanting to see what they have with Byram and Newhook? It would be reckless. And one thing Sakic has clearly not been with his asset management is that.

Reactions: Kibe

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
AVS give up two tier B prospects, a cap dump and a top 9 forward and they're saying no?
IMO this really favors Avs, but they're probably rating their prospects too high, or Forsberg + Ekholm too low.

One thing I agree on is Forsberg + Ekholm would both have to be extended.
Hahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha Byram and Newhook are B prospects? Can’t imagine you rank any predator prospect above a C+ then?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
What I’ve gotten so far from this thread is that if the Preds end up out of the playoffs they are going to trade Forsberg and Ekholm for a prime Gretzky with his same pay from the 80s or they are going to be severely disappointed.

I mean, if Byram and Newhook are considered B prospects at best, and that if the proposed deal is woefully insufficient compare to other deals that have been offered, Forsberg and Ekholm must be the best damn players in the league

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
It’s just too big. There’s going “all-in” and then there is risking everything for a single season. The fact is the Avs don’t have the resources to keep both FF9 and Ekholm long term and that means this is a one shot deal. It’s a bridge too far. It’s reckless.

I have no problem with the Preds demanding a haul for their second and third best players, neither should be looked at as a rental and any team willing to pay the price in a trade that Nashville will want for one of them is going to do so almost explicitly with the intention of resigning them. But the simple fact is for the Avs - there’s no way to make this work especially not with the bill coming due on MacKinnon on the horizon.

If at the deadline the Preds still haven’t signed these guys and are looking to sell and if the Avs have a big problem on defense or offense - I could certainly see one of them being a target. But now, for both these guys with the Preds clearly not looking to sell and the Avs wanting to see what they have with Byram and Newhook? It would be reckless. And one thing Sakic has clearly not been with his asset management is that.
Yeah as i said in the op too big to ever happend. Still it's fun to think about how good that Avs team would Be and how bright the Preds future would Be

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Another idea. Swap Newhook to Kaut and take out Kunin. Do you think that would be close?
Only way Byram is traded in your scenario is for an “extended” Forsberg. Avs won’t trade elite prospects for rentals. We’re not the Caps.

And make it Bowers instead of Kaut.

Reactions: Avaholic29

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Erik Johnson is actually a good player id he is healthy so I don't want to treat him as a cap dump at this point. No to trading Byram, who is NHL ready. Byram + EJ is better than Ekholm by himself in 2021.

Newhook for Forsberg extended is what I would consider.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Avs should go all in while MacK is still on his sweetheart deal.
Yes, they should. But getting two UFA's, one of which (Forsberg will cost much more on his next deal) isn't good business. If both Ekholm and Forsberg had two years left I could maybe see it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Erik Johnson is actually a good player id he is healthy so I don't want to treat him as a cap dump at this point. No to trading Byram, who is NHL ready. Byram + EJ is better than Ekholm by himself in 2021.

Newhook for Forsberg extended is what I would consider.
Its not about Avs treating him as a cap dump. Other Teams GM's will obviously see him as a cap dump. No one would take him for free.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Contenders seem to be paying those projected late 1st picks for mid-upside rentals in deadline. These guys are legit high upside for full season+likely more.

I get that you built this deal to try to logically get those bluechips to Preds, and you stand by it.
But I do not agree that Forsberg or Ekholm are unlike any rentals that have gone before. And hand-waving assumptions that they will re-sign have little weight.
I stand by the point that paying a Newhook or Byrum for a rental has no precedent in NHL that I can recall.

Anyway Colorado ain't doing it. ELC contract contributors are how teams afford a MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, etc, roster in Salary Cap league.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Absolutely terrible for the Avs. We aren't giving up our Two best prospects, for a pair of.pending UFAs.

The Avs also shouldn't be giving up any assets at all right now unless it's for a Center.

Not to mention LD is probably the Avs strongest position in the entire organization. Toews, Girard, Byram, Murray are all LD just at the NHL level alone.

Zero need for Ekholm.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I get that you built this deal to try to logically get those bluechips to Preds, and you stand by it.
But I do not agree that Forsberg or Ekholm are unlike any rentals that have gone before. And hand-waving assumptions that they will re-sign have little weight.
I stand by the point that paying a Newhook or Byrum for a rental has no precedent in NHL that I can recall.

Anyway Colorado ain't doing it. ELC contract contributors are how teams afford a MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, etc, roster in Salary Cap league.
Funny, I thought this thread was concocted by an Avs fan.

Anyway, it's pretty much agreed from all sides that there's no way it works for either team, so any further wrangling over why it doesn't work is immaterial. Both sides can slam their phones down in disgust, that works equally well for both parties here.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What I’ve gotten so far from this thread is that if the Preds end up out of the playoffs they are going to trade Forsberg and Ekholm for a prime Gretzky with his same pay from the 80s or they are going to be severely disappointed.

I mean, if Byram and Newhook are considered B prospects at best, and that if the proposed deal is woefully insufficient compare to other deals that have been offered, Forsberg and Ekholm must be the best damn players in the league
Really? That's what you got from one person calling them b prospects? Great job staying above the fray and repping hf in a positive way.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If Forsberg/Ekholm had some term then it'd be a fine deal because it'd improve the Avs for the foreseeable future.
But this deal would only benefit for this season then 1 if not both would probably walk since the Avs cant afford them.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
This is stupid for the Avs. If they don’t win the cup they’re just screwed out of two high end top prospects… for rentals

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
AVS give up two tier B prospects, a cap dump and a top 9 forward and they're saying no?
IMO this really favors Avs, but they're probably rating their prospects too high, or Forsberg + Ekholm too low.

Byram and Newhook are without any debate, A level prospects. Two of the best in the league honestly.

Neutral fan (Canucks), if that matters

Reactions: Lemonlimey

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If Forsberg/Ekholm had some term then it'd be a fine deal because it'd improve the Avs for the foreseeable future.
But this deal would only benefit for this season then 1 if not both would probably walk since the Avs cant afford them.

That's my feeling on this. If they had 2-3 years left then I would possibly look at it. But trading 2 high end prospects for pending UFAs is bad asset management.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

I come to these bad proposal topics for absolutely hilarious takes like this one. Thank you for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad