Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Silyayev has skill. Not a guy I’d take top 5, though.
He's a unicorn and the Ducks should do it.

According to pretty much everyone he's already a monster defensively, physically and skates like the wind. Anaheim are stacked everywhere already and if he develops offensively then congratulation to them, they get the only 6'7 top pairing dman in the league. Basically Chara lite.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He's a unicorn and the Ducks should do it.

According to pretty much everyone he's already a monster defensively, physically and skates like the wind. Anaheim are stacked everywhere already and if he develops offensively then congratulation to them, they get the only 6'7 top pairing dman in the league. Basically Chara lite.
Dominant defensively is a stretch. Saw a lot of him this year on Kovalenko’s team. He’s a really good prospect but I wouldn’t take him top 5. I do think he’s in a better place than most Russian defenseman to develop.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Up until the mid 00s Avs were one of the best drafting teams in the league. For years they were near the top of games in the NHL. Just pre cap, they spent a lot of those prospects to try to win. It just fell apart and aside for 09, they went into a black hole.

Elliott has an amazing release… one of the best I’ve seen at his age. He was just softer than baby shit.
One of the more underrated parts of PL era success. First decade in Denver Avs were pretty much guaranteed to find a couple effective NHL'ers in later rounds.

Tim Thomas 9th round 1994 (I know they were still in QC for this draft, but same org)
Milan Hejduk 4th round 1994
Chris Drury 3rd round 1994
Brent Johnson 5th round 1995
Sammy Pahlsson 7th round 1996
Dan Hinote 7th round 1996
Ville Nieminen 3rd round 1997
Radim Vrbata 7th round 1999
Jeff Finger 8th round 1999
Kurt Sauer 3rd round 2000
JML 5th round 2000
Marek Svatos 7th round 2001
Cody McCormick 5th round 2001
Tom Gilbert 4th round 2002
David Jones 9th round 2003
Brad Richardson 5th round 2003

Like goddamn that's a ton of late round value. Sad to see how poorly the org has drafted in later rounds for the better part of 2 decades at this point.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
One of the more underrated parts of PL era success. First decade in Denver Avs were pretty much guaranteed to find a couple effective NHL'ers in later rounds.

Tim Thomas 9th round 1994 (I know they were still in QC for this draft, but same org)
Milan Hejduk 4th round 1994
Chris Drury 3rd round 1994
Brent Johnson 5th round 1995
Sammy Pahlsson 7th round 1996
Dan Hinote 7th round 1996
Ville Nieminen 3rd round 1997
Radim Vrbata 7th round 1999
Jeff Finger 8th round 1999
Kurt Sauer 3rd round 2000
JML 5th round 2000
Marek Svatos 7th round 2001
Cody McCormick 5th round 2001
Tom Gilbert 4th round 2002
David Jones 9th round 2003
Brad Richardson 5th round 2003

Like goddamn that's a ton of late round value. Sad to see how poorly the org has drafted in later rounds for the better part of 2 decades at this point.
They honestly should fire every last scout on staff and start over with a blank slate. It can't be any worse than the last 15 years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Klipperstein is leaving, just announced by TMV.
Whoa, that's big news weeks before the draft. I assume he'll be staying through the end of his contract? If not, CMac better get on the phone and trade all his picks before they get lit on fire.

Where did Pierre Dorion land? Would he be willing to lead a scouting department? Would we want him to?
As far as I know, he's still a free agent. This would be a golden opportunity for the Avs to get a really smart guy in the room for once. But honestly it just makes too much sense for the Avs to actually do it. More than likely they'll just promote somebody from within who has been part of the culture of failure for years and call it a day instead of shaking things up.

Reactions: Chiarelli

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Whoa, that's big news weeks before the draft. I assume he'll be staying through the end of his contract? If not, CMac better get on the phone and trade all his picks before they get lit on fire.

As far as I know, he's still a free agent. This would be a golden opportunity for the Avs to get a really smart guy in the room for once. But honestly it just makes too much sense for the Avs to actually do it. More than likely they'll just promote somebody from within who has been part of the culture of failure for years and call it a day instead of shaking things up.
I fear you are right, but I'd like to think that since the players seem to say the Avs put a lot of planning and prep on fancy stats and such, that they would then be taking the art of drafting seriously as well. I've always thought it was an internal budget thing more than anything else. I think this is a good opportunity to test that theory. Dorian is available isn't Jarmo available as well? Two guys that are thought of as having good drafting skills but they've both been GMs and won't come as cheap as an internal hire. If the Avs land a name they're probably upping the internal budget. If they don't, they probably haven't and are content with what it is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Parekh had some really high praise of Demidov, but it sounds like he won't go 2nd overall considering how much Chicago is scouting Levshunov. Ivan probably will be the second-best player if others like Silayev don't turn into Pronger 2.0.
Lmao wtf... Levshunov looks like he got drafted the same year as Andrew Cogliano.
Or he lived his entire childhood next to a Belrussian chemical manufacturing plant.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I thought Duncan was drafted because of his numbers. Which were incredibly inflated by Stefan Elliott.

Wait a second...Stefan Elliott was also billed as our coming savior.

We basically lit a first (Seimens) and second (Stefan) on fire just to watch it ultimately culminate in 21 games of Brandon Gormley.

Has there ever been a time when our amateur scouts were competent? In this millennia or century? They were good in the 90s. They've missed on most everything outside of the top 10 since. Hell, Tyson Jost was taken with #10, so you could even say we even struggle with top 10 picks.
After the lockout. Pierre had his health problems, the team got rudderless, cheap on scouting and had tunnel vision.

I fear you are right, but I'd like to think that since the players seem to say the Avs put a lot of planning and prep on fancy stats and such, that they would then be taking the art of drafting seriously as well. I've always thought it was an internal budget thing more than anything else. I think this is a good opportunity to test that theory. Dorian is available isn't Jarmo available as well? Two guys that are thought of as having good drafting skills but they've both been GMs and won't come as cheap as an internal hire. If the Avs land a name they're probably upping the internal budget. If they don't, they probably haven't and are content with what it is.
Apparently stats can't do everything.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Avs are just going to outsource their scouting to ChatGPT.
Since 2018 outside of top 10 picks if you just sort by points per game and don't even control for league or age or injuries in draft year or anything would the Avs had better results?

Like literally just aggregate every draft eligible player into a spreadsheet and take the highest point per game player available from CHL NCAA Swedish or Finnish league.

It's pretty hard to do worse. An Avs draft pick is more likely to make it on American Idol singing Creed cover songs. And I'm not even sure American Idol is a thing anymore.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Since 2018 outside of top 10 picks if you just sort by points per game and don't even control for league or age or injuries in draft year or anything would the Avs had better results?

Like literally just aggregate every draft eligible player into a spreadsheet and take the highest point per game player available from CHL NCAA Swedish or Finnish league.

It's pretty hard to do worse. An Avs draft pick is more likely to make it on American Idol singing Creed cover songs. And I'm not even sure American Idol is a thing anymore.
I bet Sammy G could absolutely kill With Arms Wide Open.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
An Avs draft pick is more likely to make it on American Idol singing Creed cover songs. And I'm not even sure American Idol is a thing anymore.

somehow I read this and one name instantly popped up in my head.
mitchell-heard-2014-690.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad