Value of: Avs are getting healthy, still need a #2C and backup goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He really doesn’t fit the Avs style of play is the issue. I don’t think he can be worse than RyJo, But it probably won’t be worth the cost to acquire.
Hes very cheap, salary wise. Which can lead to a lot more roster power than most other player of his own calibre. The Habs can also take back salary.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Monahan is pretty much a low end 2C thats playing on a very bad team with no support on his line. He'd be a 60+ points guy on a good team.
No, he is a 3C that is tilted more offensively and needs to be shelter somewhat, that gets PP1 ice time which helps boost his numbers.
I have no doubt that he will fetch something a little more than most people think he should get, but as stated, OP said 2C and he is not a 2C

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
No, he is a 3C that is tilted more offensively and needs to be shelter somewhat, that gets PP1 ice time which helps boost his numbers.
I have no doubt that he will fetch something a little more than most people think he should get, but as stated, OP said 2C and he is not a 2C

Well as currently constructed, he’d probably be a 2nd line center on the Av’s so playing with better wingers, like Colorado has, would probably boost his production.

That said, obviously there are much better centers out there. Depends if the Av’s want to pay a much higher price.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He is a 3C or 2W, but his numbers aren't getting boosted. He's had dog shit linemates for most of the season. For most of the season the Habs have had 4 forwards capable of doing anything offensively, 3 of them play on the first line and Monahan gets stuck with the plugs. Of course he's gonna look better on the PP when he plays with those 3.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
How is henrique not?
I mean, for one thing, anyone that even pays attention to the Ducks knows that Henrique has become more of a winger than C.
Secondly, he has no where near the production needed to be considered a 2C on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I mean, for one thing, anyone that even pays attention to the Ducks knows that Henrique has become more of a winger than C.
Secondly, he has no where near the production needed to be considered a 2C on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.
Henrique would lead Colorado in faceoffs and plays center defensively. So...

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Henrique would lead Colorado in faceoffs and plays center defensively. So...
Ok?
Landy use to be the main faceoff guy and would play more as a center defensively when with the Landy-Mack-Rantanen line.

Everyone still knew that Mack was the center

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ok?
Landy use to be the main faceoff guy and would play more as a center defensively when with the Landy-Mack-Rantanen line.

Everyone still knew that Mack was the center
So he takes the faceoffs and takes the center's defensive responsibilities but isn't a center? That makes sense to you?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ya.
Last time I checked, there are 3 zones.
LOL. Just so I can get your math straight, 2/3 as a center and 1/3 as a LW = LW? Again, this makes sense to you?

You're getting hung up on starting roster designations waaay too much. Henrique plays a center more than he does a winger. If you'd like to be weirdly stubborn in what you label him as, go ahead, but that's all it is, weird stubbornness.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
LOL. Just so I can get your math straight, 2/3 as a center and 1/3 as a LW = LW? Again, this makes sense to you?

You're getting hung up on starting roster designations waaay too much. Henrique plays a center more than he does a winger. If you'd like to be weirdly stubborn in what you label him as, go ahead, but that's all it is, weird stubbornness.
I mean, you're the one who labelled him a 2C, and you have not presented anything that could back up that notion.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I mean, you're the one who labelled him a 2C, and you have not presented anything that could back up that notion.
The "I know you are but what am I" defense. Bring some facts to the table, all you have so far is really bad math.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Avs need a play driving offensive center like a kadri. We have good defensive wingers who can carry the dzone load as centers. That being said, i wouldnt be opposed to henrique but it all depends on the price.

Reactions: Static

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
:laugh:

You might feel this is true, ultimately it doesn't matter what you think. I would also bet the Avs have a couple of wingers and a RHD that Buffalo would have quite a bit of interest in.

Buffalo is not trading for an overhyped overpaid Ratannen.

Buffalo has a bunch of young wingers in their system.
Also, why would you be concerned he's one hit away from ending his career? He hasn't dealt with any concussion issues in over 2 years now.
not having having a concussion in 2 years doesnt matter. concussions dont heal like a torn ligament where at some point you are back at 100%. we have seen athletes in other sports like football walk away. Whats to stop him after the next big hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Is Ritchie now worth more than a late first?

Absolutely. He was taken late in the 1st round of what was considered to be a strong draft, and has only improved his draft stock since then.

I think Colorado's 2024 1st for Henrique at 50% is probably fair value... But absolutely don't think the 2024 1st and Ritchie are similar value at all.

How is henrique not?

Just because he's playing 2C on a bad team doesn't make him a legit 2C. If he's your 2C, you aren't winning anything.

And as I just said, I think he's a fine player and worth a late 1st as a rental. That still doesn't make him a 2C at all.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Absolutely. He was taken late in the 1st round of what was considered to be a strong draft, and has only improved his draft stock since then.

I think Colorado's 2024 1st for Henrique at 50% is probably fair value... But absolutely don't think the 2024 1st and Ritchie are similar value at all.

Just because he's playing 2C on a bad team doesn't make him a legit 2C. If he's your 2C, you aren't winning anything.

And as I just said, I think he's a fine player and worth a late 1st as a rental. That still doesn't make him a 2C at all.
I agree with all of your points but I would just say that the playoffs and the regular season are very different. Henrique becomes a much more valued commodity for a playoff run then he would be for the regular season. He can score, play defense, win face-offs, handle the physical part of the game, and move up and down the lineup as needed (laterally as well switching between LW and C). Add that he is dependable and a veteran makes him a very valuable playoff commodity.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Monahan or Henrique would be big upgrades to Colorado's situation, and to get either, Avs will pay a hefty price.

Much like Lekhonen a few seasons ago, both will very much be top 6 contributors moving from from a lottery team roster to the Makar/MacKinnon show... As usual, fans pay too much attention to individual stats & not enough to roster context.

As many fans that will be pissed about he cost, more would likely be pissed after an early exit if the GM stands pat. I bet Sakic & co. are not interested in waisting prime Mack& Mak years by not shoring up obvious roster weaknesses if they can.

:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Monahan or Henrique would be big upgrades to Colorado's situation, and to get either, Avs will pay a hefty price.

Much like Lekhonen a few seasons ago, both will very much be top 6 contributors moving from from a lottery team roster to the Makar/MacKinnon show... As usual, fans pay too much attention to individual stats & not enough to roster context.

As many fans that will be pissed about he cost, more would likely be pissed after an early exit if the GM stands pat. I bet Sakic & co. are not interested in waisting prime Mack& Mak years by not shoring up obvious roster weaknesses if they can.

Lehkonen was not a rental and had an additional year on his contract when acquired, hence the higher cost, at least that it what I recall. Colorado has rarely traded first round picks for pending UFA rentals during the last quarter century. It seems to run counter to its organizational philosophy.

Reactions: Bender

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lehkonen was not a rental and had an additional year on his contract when acquired, hence the higher cost, at least that it what I recall. Colorado has rarely traded first round picks for pending UFA rentals during the last quarter century. It seems to run counter to its organizational philosophy.
No, he was an RFA with 1 year left to UFA... And it wasn't for a 1st, it was a 2nd & former first round pick.

Last year McFarland traded a 2nd for Eller (UFA to be) & in the summer traded a high 2nd for Ross's last year RFA rights.
earlier Sakic traded a 2nd & prospect for Manson (UFA to be)...

So not sure that it's accurate to suggest the org. doesn't trade high picks or quality prospects for immediate help. An RFA or UFA you intend to extend for term is a better gamble than a pure "rental", no doubt about that. Will be interesting to see how they approach this year & next given Rantanen's contract status & their big holes/whiffs at G & C.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

How is Monahab really much of an upgrade over Johansen? Theyre similar players.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Ahhh, exactly?

Lehkonen came to Colorado and played on the Top line with Mackinnon.... Monahan is not going to come to Colorado and play on the Top line with Mackinnon. He's going to play 2nd or even 3rd line minutes, and get less PP opportunities with the Avs because he certainly wont be making the top PP unit.

So maybe you should pay more attention to roster context....

Monahan does nothing to shore up Colorado's roster weakness. He's not a meaningful upgrade in anyway over Johansen.

Same thing with Henrique although he's a little better. I'd much prefer throwing a 1st round pick away on Henrique over Monahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad