Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1729456174681.png

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Even if they move Georgiev back the other way, what else do the Avs have to send to make that cap situation work with Gibson?

If the Ducks retain, and take Georgiev back (probably just to waive him and send him to the AHL), cap pretty much balances out. So all that's left is to figure what Anaheim actually could use.

They can ask for as much a premium as they want. Reality is that Gibson hasn’t performed well for a while now, has a big-ish contract that’s for multiple years.

I’m not sure how much Anaheim can demand because I’m doubtful there’s many teams trying to acquire him.

Trading Gibson for Anaheim can be as simple as the $$$ savings they get for the next couple of years.

It's not the $ savings, since they need to hit the cap floor, so they'll be taking back salary in all likelihood (or making a separate deal be compliant). And if it's an expiring contract they take back, they still have to spend the money elsewhere in coming years. They're also likely to retain.

And I doubt they're asking a "premium." Just something more useful to them than Gibson is right now as a backup. To the Ducks he's a veteran backup. With retention, he might be a 3.2m starter to someone else. Somewhere in there is a value that's worth it to give up for a retained Gibson (and perhaps a cap dump back), that's worth it for the Ducks to accept. I don't think anyone's expecting a major impact player in return.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If the Ducks retain, and take Georgiev back (probably just to waive him and send him to the AHL), cap pretty much balances out. So all that's left is to figure what Anaheim actually could use.

It's not the $ savings, since they need to hit the cap floor, so they'll be taking back salary in all likelihood (or making a separate deal be compliant). And if it's an expiring contract they take back, they still have to spend the money elsewhere in coming years. They're also likely to retain.

And I doubt they're asking a "premium." Just something more useful to them than Gibson is right now as a backup. To the Ducks he's a veteran backup. With retention, he might be a 3.2m starter to someone else. Somewhere in there is a value that's worth it to give up for a retained Gibson (and perhaps a cap dump back), that's worth it for the Ducks to accept. I don't think anyone's expecting a major impact player in return.
There’s no doubt that if the avs are acquiring Gibson, Georgiev is going back the other way. And Georgiev is owed less money than his cap hit by 500k, so that’s always helpful.

And yes you’re right, Anaheim will still need to spend the dollars next year. But I think we can all agree that it would be better to invest that 6M into the skaters, than into a goalie that isn’t the everyday starter.

As a secondary benefit of reallocating money from G to F and D, is that if Anaheim is not a playoff team next year, the forwards and defense offer better potential for trades at the deadline to acquire more assets. Far more likely than a Goalie would.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The ducks don't need to retain 50% for 3 years to get a low second round pick (and a bad goalie/salary dump). Gibson signed for 3 years at $3.2M is worth more than that.
Are we talking about the same Gibson?
Most ducks fans I talked to hoped his injury this season was career ending. He was a good goalie for the first few years and then turned into post Sharks Antti Niemi for the last 5 years

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Most ducks fans I talked to hoped his injury this season was career ending.

What Ducks fans are those? Even the biggest Dostal fan knows he isn't gonna play 82 games. If anything after years of suffering behind a crap D, most hope Gibson goes somewhere where he can play meaningful games again.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Ducks retaining on Gibson seems tricky. Especially if there's already a bunch of Georgiev salary going back the other way. Gibson still has a couple years after this one. And at some point, the Ducks aren't going to want to be tied up in extra dead cap on a guy like that. They're going to want to leverage their situation to "turn the corner" with maximum cap flexibility.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The real question is why the hell was the most obvious roster issue not addressed during the offseason?

Only now they wanna do something about it. Very poor decision making.

potatopieee

Sep 23, 2018
Most ducks fans I talked to hoped his injury this season was career ending. He was a good goalie for the first few years and then turned into post Sharks Antti Niemi for the last 5 years
i dont blame gibson for being hung out to dry over those 5 years.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Has anybody pondered Gibson + Vatrano (expiring contract) for Nichushkin + Georgiev (expiring contract)? Ducks take on 6 years of Nichushkin, who could potentially be a headache or potentially be a really good top 6 winger in exchange for 3 years of your big money goalie who hasn't done much in years and is now a backup to Dostal.

Medium-to-high risk, high reward move for the Ducks. Worst case scenario is Nichushkin is healthy and not in any programs but also playing bad hockey. Best case scenario is a really good winger. Medium scenario is Nuke spending a lot of time injured or in a program or potentially kicked out of the league, or something like that, but Gibson and Anaheim both get to move on from each other at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad