Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1729456174681.png

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Even if they move Georgiev back the other way, what else do the Avs have to send to make that cap situation work with Gibson?

If the Ducks retain, and take Georgiev back (probably just to waive him and send him to the AHL), cap pretty much balances out. So all that's left is to figure what Anaheim actually could use.

They can ask for as much a premium as they want. Reality is that Gibson hasn’t performed well for a while now, has a big-ish contract that’s for multiple years.

I’m not sure how much Anaheim can demand because I’m doubtful there’s many teams trying to acquire him.

Trading Gibson for Anaheim can be as simple as the $$$ savings they get for the next couple of years.

It's not the $ savings, since they need to hit the cap floor, so they'll be taking back salary in all likelihood (or making a separate deal be compliant). And if it's an expiring contract they take back, they still have to spend the money elsewhere in coming years. They're also likely to retain.

And I doubt they're asking a "premium." Just something more useful to them than Gibson is right now as a backup. To the Ducks he's a veteran backup. With retention, he might be a 3.2m starter to someone else. Somewhere in there is a value that's worth it to give up for a retained Gibson (and perhaps a cap dump back), that's worth it for the Ducks to accept. I don't think anyone's expecting a major impact player in return.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If the Ducks retain, and take Georgiev back (probably just to waive him and send him to the AHL), cap pretty much balances out. So all that's left is to figure what Anaheim actually could use.

It's not the $ savings, since they need to hit the cap floor, so they'll be taking back salary in all likelihood (or making a separate deal be compliant). And if it's an expiring contract they take back, they still have to spend the money elsewhere in coming years. They're also likely to retain.

And I doubt they're asking a "premium." Just something more useful to them than Gibson is right now as a backup. To the Ducks he's a veteran backup. With retention, he might be a 3.2m starter to someone else. Somewhere in there is a value that's worth it to give up for a retained Gibson (and perhaps a cap dump back), that's worth it for the Ducks to accept. I don't think anyone's expecting a major impact player in return.
There’s no doubt that if the avs are acquiring Gibson, Georgiev is going back the other way. And Georgiev is owed less money than his cap hit by 500k, so that’s always helpful.

And yes you’re right, Anaheim will still need to spend the dollars next year. But I think we can all agree that it would be better to invest that 6M into the skaters, than into a goalie that isn’t the everyday starter.

As a secondary benefit of reallocating money from G to F and D, is that if Anaheim is not a playoff team next year, the forwards and defense offer better potential for trades at the deadline to acquire more assets. Far more likely than a Goalie would.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Why not ? Dostal is the starter now makes the trade alot easier.

The ducks don't need to retain 50% for 3 years to get a low second round pick (and a bad goalie/salary dump). Gibson signed for 3 years at $3.2M is worth more than that.

redwings86

I understood english and hockey
Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
But now Gibson for Georgiev would probably work anyway. I changed my mind about Jarry. For Jarry are Penguins trusty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad