Auston Matthews is 53 goals from franchise history.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Is this a commentary on how amazing a shooter AM is or how shitty the Leafs have done drafting/developing/signing talent or both?

I mean, it’s definitely both. Obviously it’s early to say, but assuming some relative degree of health Matthews may well be a career 800+ goal scorer when it’s all said and done.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is this a commentary on how amazing a shooter AM is or how shitty the Leafs have done drafting/developing/signing talent or both?
Imagine adding Stankoven and Johnson on ELCs instead the likes of Vesey, Jumbo, Ritchie, Boyd, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Gregor etc. Fact is this team has sucked at drafting and developing since the draft was established.

Good for him, he’s an elite goal scorer in the regular season
One goal in his last 10 playoff games. I mean how bad do you have to play when you are that good at scoring goals?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
One goal in his last 10 playoff games. I mean how bad do you have to play when you are that good at scoring goals?
Pretty bad, though he was “injured” both times

I won’t derail the thread too much, or the core 4 police will be after me, but I’ve made it clear I don’t think Matthews can win as a leader, he’s the #2 to the main guy. He’s like a rantanen, not a Mackinnon and he has yet to show otherwise

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Pretty bad, though he was “injured” both times

I won’t derail the thread too much, or the core 4 police will be after me, but I’ve made it clear I don’t think Matthews can win as a leader, he’s the #2 to the main guy. He’s like a rantanen, not a Mackinnon and he has yet to show otherwise
I've said all three amigos are not #1s and they need an alpha dog to follow. As far as goal scoring in the regular season goes, this guy makes it look so easy. Dwarfs what great Leafs goal scores like Lanny, Phil, Big M, Andreychuk and even Vaive have accomplished.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I say rip up his contract and give him the maximum allowable and see how the rest of the boys react. So far hasn't been good
I'd rather move him and Marner for MacKinnon and Rantanen. Somebody would pay huge for the best American goal scorer in the game. Moving him would take balls but that could be the move that gets us there if the right deal is made (see Lindros to Philly trade).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m going to preface this by saying, nobody thinks the core 4 doesn’t need to bring more.

Last 3 years playoffs:

Edmonton - 3.68 GF/g, 32.3% powerplay
Colorado - 3.87 GF/g, 30.3% powerplay
Toronto - 2.76 GF/g, 16.1% powerplay

Top point producers per game
McDavid - 1st (1.79)
Draisaitl - 3rd (1.53)
Makar - 4th (1.32)
Rantanen - 5th (1.29)
MacKinnon - 7th (1.18)
Landeskog - 12th (1.10)
Matthews - 17th (1.04)
Marner - 21st (1.00)
Nylander - 39th (0.91)

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've said all three amigos are not #1s and they need an alpha dog to follow. As far as goal scoring in the regular season goes, this guy makes it look so easy. Dwarfs what great Leafs goal scores like Lanny, Phil, Big M, Andreychuk and even Vaive have accomplished.
Yep, when it comes to goal scoring ...
But I wouldn't say Andreychuk is the 6th. best player in Leafs history.
Also wouldn't say there are 27 better players than Keon in Leafs' history.

So is there an Alpha anywhere in the system, at any age?
Who are the players that were captain by leadership, rather than captain because of points, in the system?

1720980110032.png

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’m going to preface this by saying, nobody thinks the core 4 doesn’t need to bring more.

Last 3 years playoffs:

Edmonton - 3.68 GF/g, 32.3% powerplay
Colorado - 3.87 GF/g, 30.3% powerplay
Toronto - 2.76 GF/g, 16.1% powerplay

Top point producers per game
McDavid - 1st (1.79)
Draisaitl - 3rd (1.53)
Makar - 4th (1.32)
Rantanen - 5th (1.29)
MacKinnon - 7th (1.18)
Landeskog - 12th (1.10)
Matthews - 17th (1.04)
Marner - 21st (1.00)
Nylander - 39th (0.91)
There's been posters around here who've been pointing out the issues on the PP for years now. Again, when you have Rielly and Marner as 2/5 skaters on your PP who possess zero shooting threat at all your PP becomes very easy to defend, as Boston threw it in our faces with our 1/22 PP.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There's been posters around here who've been pointing out the issues on the PP for years now. Again, when you have Rielly and Marner as 2/5 skaters on your PP who possess zero shooting threat at all your PP becomes very easy to defend, as Boston threw it in our faces with our 1/22 PP.
No worries, new AC gets to try to make it work with the same cast of characters and he will most likely fail like the others. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Don’t talk about Clark like that, he has one whole almost PPG playoff run in his career, you’re talking about the legend that scored at a 30 goal pace in the playoffs. You’re talking about a guy that competed for a conference final banner one time. Show some respect.
Think you need your own advice trying to set Leafs fans up to pick this legend or that legend. No 2 people are the same. Even twins one a passed 1 scored.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Who cares about regular season?

This guy is supposed to be quasi generational, yet he is getting outscored by Sundin who had 26 goals in his first 53 playoff games whereas Matthews has 23 in 55 (in a higher scoring era with a way better team).

Elite players find a way to get it done as we see with any of the talents in the league, not Matthews though, 2 goals in his last 10 playoff games (16 goal pace) and 11 in his last 30 playoff games (30 goal pace).

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep, when it comes to goal scoring ...
But I wouldn't say Andreychuk is the 6th. best player in Leafs history.
Also wouldn't say there are 27 better players than Keon in Leafs' history.

So is there an Alpha anywhere in the system, at any age?
Who are the players that were captain by leadership, rather than captain because of points, in the system?

View attachment 894889
I was talking goal scoring not best players. Andrechuk is one of the few Leafs to score 50.

IMO Keon, Sit, Gilmour, Borja Mats, Horton, were alphas. Older players may be but they were before my time.

Reactions: ULF_55

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Who cares about regular season?

The regular season matters as does our franchise record book.

None of that changes that we’re all looking for post season success, but acting like the rest suddenly doesn’t matter is absolutely ridiculous.

People seriously need to stop with this garbage.

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
May as well add every Leaf since 1967 including Sundin, Salming, Turnbull, McDonald, Kessel, Roberts and any HOFer who has never won a SC for that matter.. Not sure if you ever watched Sittler and Clark in the playoffs but if you did, you'd clearly see the difference in their play. Funny never seen either laugh while being ragged dolled or turn down a fight from an asshole opponent like Tkachuk or Hagel. Sittler had 5 goals in one game vs the Broad Steet bullies. Marner has 11 in 8 f***ing years. Yes they've won the same number of cups the Leafs did but your argument is flawed.
nope we only care about winning here. the argument has to be linear at this point to make people honest. Win or gtfo like the rest of the losers since 67. just because you look back on them fondly for a sense of nostalgia for the old times doesn't mean anything considering every team save for like the canucks and sabres has won a cup since.

Because of hard work and sacrifice Gilmour Clark had back to back semi finals. They were fun to watch and cheer for.

That’s all anyone ask for from this group.
then your bar is lower than hell. if all you care about is fune then why complain about regular season accolades being meaningless? those are actually fun. Back to Back semi finals and yet nothing to show for it. We raise losers to impeccable heights here to put down other losers. its jokes.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Pretty easy to tell the age of some of the posters in here, or at least when they started becoming a fan of the Leafs. Way too much disrespect of Leafs legends in order to prop up the losers that are on the team today. I'm embarrassed for some of the posters in here.
last i checked those leaf legends also were losers...not having made it to a single final let alone winning a cup. Mind you i am old enough to remember the 90s very well

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
nope we only care about winning here. the argument has to be linear at this point to make people honest. Win or gtfo like the rest of the losers since 67. just because you look back on them fondly for a sense of nostalgia for the old times doesn't mean anything considering every team save for like the canucks and sabres has won a cup since.

then your bar is lower than hell. if all you care about is fune then why complain about regular season accolades being meaningless? those are actually fun. Back to Back semi finals and yet nothing to show for it. We raise losers to impeccable heights here to put down other losers. its jokes.
Semi finals is pretty darned good if you ask me. That team was very fun to watch. His one is boring and never does anything to get excited about.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Semi finals is pretty darned good if you ask me. That team was very fun to watch. His one is boring and never does anything to get excited about.
naw a cup or bust at this point semi finals means f*** all.

I don't i found coming back from 4-1 down against tampa and 2-1 down with a minute left or whatever it was was pretty fun. Same with forcing game this year. but at the end of the day the real fun is winning the cup i dont care anymore about semi finals or whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad