Auston Matthews is 53 goals from franchise history.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So, when he hits his 30’s he’ll probably jump ship and peak with another team ……

This is a very real possibility if this team is still incompetent in the playoffs and can’t go on at least a couple of deep runs between now and the end of Matthews’ contract. If we’re still first round fodder or only have a couple second round appearances I wouldn’t be surprised to see him bolt with what’s left of his prime to try and win somewhere else.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Predictable whiners here.

This guy wants to be a Leaf, and is the best goal scorer in the league. Any negativity towards him is unwarranted.
Wants to be here so bad he didn’t sign for eight years, actions speak louder than words……..

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I still have a lot of faith they will get there. That’s what fandom is about, you ride with your guys, with your team. I know eventually the wait will be worth it. We will see them make a deep run.
Says you
speculation
if you say so

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I hope all the posters who negate all in-season accomplishments are at least consistent with their approach and don't watch the meaningless hockey of the regular season and clutter the board with their posts complaining about meaningless regular season games.
Yet they will also be the biggest whiners after a loss in a supposedly meaningless regular season game.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What did Wendel's will to win, or Sittler's leadership actually f***ing win?

They didn't win Jack f***ing shit.

You know the people that will be critical of the core 4 for not showing up in the playoffs will turn around and glorify Gilmour, or Clark or Sittler, or maybe the 2002 team because it was fun to watch, and it was, I love that team.

But remind me again how many championship banners are hanging from those eras?

f***ing 0, they don't exist.

We need to stop glorifying the past when the past didn't result in a championship, in fact you know what forget a championship none of those eras even resulted in a finals run.

For as overboard as the Oilers go on the nostalgia shit, and OH BOY do they ever at least those teams won.

What the f*** are we doing talking about "Will to Win" when the BEST we got was a conference finals.

Does this team have "the will to win?"

Who knows the Matthews era Isn't done.

I know the other teams didn't because they didn't win.
They won the fans hearts because it was clear they were willing to lay everything on the line for the team. I don't need championships to be happy, I just want an honest effort, leave it all out on the ice attitude and I can live with losing. We have a group of players who are probably the most talented skill wise the leafs have had at any one time and yet they are mostly unlikable by a large portion of the fanbase...why is that? If our guys showed half the heart as Wendal, Gilmour, Roberts, Sittler, Salming etc they would be loved and adored win or lose. Watching 34 get ragdolled against the canadians was so anti Clark/Gilmour it was painful to watch. Watching Marner refuse to take any responsibility for any of the playoff failures was also painful to watch etc etc.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yet they will also be the biggest whiners after a loss in a supposedly meaningless regular season game.
And rightfully so. If you can't win in the playoffs, you need to win in the regular season to win your SC. But alas, the only division they have won is the Northern division which nobody will ever win again.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I find it impossible to judge their motives, or make claims that they choose money first.

None here have ever been in that situation to make a bold claim that thwy would have chosen differently.

I will say with confidence that thwre will be very few that would take less at their employment if it meant bringing in extra help. Are you turning down money for the benefit of the company if they asked?

I realise that thousands and millions are entirely different animals, but the point remains.

Like Dubas, I think in time they will realise their errors and hopefully make a selfless dwcision in the future
Judging Dubas's moves in Pitts I don't think he has realized any errors in his phliosophy.

Reactions: bax and Anthrax442

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Matthews fulfills his team and media duties as well as any other player. Other than the incident in Arizona, what makes him not likeable?
Other than the incident in Arizona (which I excuse since he was young at the time and partying too much that day), the stuff below gives me the creeps, YMMV:

-his taste in music
-his interest in fashion, manbags, etc.
-his unwillingness to stick up for himself and team mates on the ice, even to minimum levels

Other than that, he seems likeable enough.

Reactions: myleafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Other than the incident in Arizona (which I excuse since he was young at the time and partying too much that day), the stuff below gives me the creeps, YMMV:

-his taste in music
-his unwillingness to stick up for himself and team mates on the ice, even to minimum levels

Other than that, he seems likeable enough.
The bolded has been a major chink in the armour for our top paid boys imo. Teams that win do not act in this way.

Reactions: bax

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

-his taste in music
lol!
That's a fair criticism and can be tied into the core lacking enough playoff intensity.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What did Wendel's will to win, or Sittler's leadership actually f***ing win?

They didn't win Jack f***ing shit.

You know the people that will be critical of the core 4 for not showing up in the playoffs will turn around and glorify Gilmour, or Clark or Sittler, or maybe the 2002 team because it was fun to watch, and it was, I love that team.

But remind me again how many championship banners are hanging from those eras?

With another 53 Matthews goals Leafs will still be like the Senators and Sharks.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
But he doesn't have a long way to go to be the greatest Leaf ever, he needs ONE thing.

A Championship.

He gets that, that title is his.

He's got 3 Rockets

He's got the Ted Lindsay

He's got the Hart.

He's even got Rookie of the year.

He's won almost every individual award you can.

You can argue he's a HOF lock NOW at 26.

He is a Championship away from being the greatest Leaf of all time.

So no we can't all agree he's a long way away, he's not.
Given our string of weak playoff runs, I'd say he's not all that close. Not yet.
One championship probably will make him best since Original 6.

I suppose if just looking at individual, non-team, achievement he'd be there like Ovechkin.

Individually a great career, but ... Alex Ovechkin Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Rather have Cups.
One Championship will definitely make him best since Original 6, no question.

With all the individual awards listed above AND a cup? Who else would be even close?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The same people who say individual achievements don't count only cups do argue that McDavid gets a pass on the lack of cups because of his individual achievements.
McDavid goes nuclear in the playoffs and has led his team to long playoff drives. Matthews is literally the antithesis of that and is a huge chickenshit when it comes to playoff hockey.

I love having him on my team but he's not delivered when it matters most. There is no arguing this point and to compare him to McDavid is frankly laughable.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
McDavid goes nuclear in the playoffs and has led his team to long playoff drives. Matthews is literally the antithesis of that and is a huge chickenshit when it comes to playoff hockey.

I love having him on my team but he's not delivered when it matters most. There is no arguing this point and to compare him to McDavid is frankly laughable.

Personal achievements don't win championships.

Why are you celebrating a personal achievement of McDavid and not Matthews? Neither brought them a championship.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
But he doesn't have a long way to go to be the greatest Leaf ever, he needs ONE thing.

A Championship.

He gets that, that title is his.

He's got 3 Rockets

He's got the Ted Lindsay

He's got the Hart.

He's even got Rookie of the year.

He's won almost every individual award you can.

You can argue he's a HOF lock NOW at 26.

He is a Championship away from being the greatest Leaf of all time.

So no we can't all agree he's a long way away, he's not.

Obliviously we all want a championship but it won’t be necessary to cement him as the greatest leaf. He will need greater playoff success than he’s had so far but championships are team accomplishments, and the personal trajectory he is on is far ahead of anyone else in the club’s history.

Reactions: francis246

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We have a group of players who are probably the most talented skill wise the leafs have had at any one time and yet they are mostly unlikable by a large portion of the fanbase

You’re projecting your opinion of them into the fanbase. I garauntee the overwhelming majority of fans do not see them this way

Reactions: francis246

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Contrary to what the brigade of excessively vocal and negative whiners here would have you believe, our lack of playoff success doesn’t erase the importance of our regular season franchise record book.

This IS a big deal, and I hope he hits it this year on route to the greater success we’re all waiting for.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Cool and all with Matthews pursuit. However I'm more shocked Leafs don't have a 500 goal scorer considering their history in league. After googling only Leafs and Rangers lacking a 500 goal man out of the original 6. 15 teams have one. Goodluck to Matthews he'll get there eventually I'm sure for Leafs.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
I'm glad because Sundin was a poser. Barely a point per game player, no personal or team trophies. He was a flat out liar but all the Sundin nut jobs will try to defend him. And he was butter soft.
Holik owned him, then heard the lamentations of his women.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad