Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
When u can score 70 goals in your sleep, there has to be some balance from the hockey gods. Matthews missed 2 playoff games and wont say why? He is a soft big man and it appears he was looking for a way out or an excuse to deal with another playoff series lost. Berube hopefully can call out Matthews and lower his ego, Matthews ego is an issue.
“It appears he was looking for a way out”? He won game two by himself but got injured. Why would he look for a way out after playing the best game of his playoff career ?

Oct 18, 2010
“It appears he was looking for a way out”? He won game two by himself but got injured. Why would he look for a way out after playing the best game of his playoff career ?

He did not win game 2 by himself. Stop overrating him please or watch what some of these players that actually perform in the playoffs are doing.

He left in game 4 before period 3. That was essentially a must-win game and they laid an egg. Worst performance at home since game 7 against Montreal or David Ayres and the game was over. Was he injured? We don't know anything because they aren't telling us anything. Nobody can show us when this injury happened. First it was illness, then it was a knee injury, and now it's a head injury. But don't ask Matthews, he won't tell you why he couldn't play... in the playoffs. :shakehead But he wasn't alone. The Leafs #2 guy did the same thing. But they walk on water so don't dare mention it.

He pulled chute when the series was lost and then somehow came back when the series was tied.

There's a reason why the Stanley Cup is what it is. Even in the softest era of hockey ever. Barkov got hit in the head and missed no time and had a game better than any Leafs core member has ever played.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He did not win game 2 by himself. Stop overrating him please or watch what some of these players that actually perform in the playoffs are doing.

He left in game 4 before period 3. That was essentially a must-win game and they laid an egg. Worst performance at home since game 7 against Montreal or David Ayres and the game was over. Was he injured? We don't know anything because they aren't telling us anything. Nobody can show us when this injury happened. First it was illness, then it was a knee injury, and now it's a head injury. But don't ask Matthews, he won't tell you why he couldn't play... in the playoffs. :shakehead But he wasn't alone. The Leafs #2 guy did the same thing. But they walk on water so don't dare mention it.

He pulled chute when the series was lost and then somehow came back when the series was tied.

There's a reason why the Stanley Cup is what it is. Even in the softest era of hockey ever. Barkov got hit in the head and missed no time and had a game better than any Leafs core member has ever played.

Matthews was on the cusp of taking some massive reputational damage for what happened in that Boston series and was lucky to have the team claw back to tie the series in his absence to save him from the last image of this season being a big team hissy fit on the bench. The cloud of controversy in which he was pulled from Game 4 is just inexplicable, all explanations not exactly clarifying. I think whatever happens moving forward he’s going to be kind of suspect territory, but obviously within his ability to change the script. I also think Marner unfairly shoulders a lot of the blame that should be directed at Auston.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017

Marner fans blaming Matthews. Now I get it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews was on the cusp of taking some massive reputational damage for what happened in that Boston series and was lucky to have the team claw back to tie the series in his absence to save him from the last image of this season being a big team hissy fit on the bench. The cloud of controversy in which he was pulled from Game 4 is just inexplicable, all explanations not exactly clarifying. I think whatever happens moving forward he’s going to be kind of suspect territory, but obviously within his ability to change the script. I also think Marner unfairly shoulders a lot of the blame that should be directed at Auston.

The team clawing back saved Matthews from the lasting image of Marner’s hissy fit? Interesting take.

Also, Marner gets more crap than he deserves imo but the criticism of him has nothing to do with Matthews. The bolded is just not true.

Matthews deserved some criticism, which he gets, but they are different players and different situations.

Reactions: arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
AM was good in Game 1, just didn’t score. If he scored that goal instead of hitting the post on that misplay by Swayman or Bruins D, Game 1 would probably end differently.
Game 2, AM dominated.

I agree that MM gets it worse than AM but AM gets it too. Just that there are far less diehard AM can do no wrong fans than MM can do no wrong fans and that’s why discussions on AM’s bad playoffs are a lot less.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The team clawing back saved Matthews from the lasting image of Marner’s hissy fit? Interesting take.

Also, Marner gets more crap than he deserves imo but the criticism of him has nothing to do with Matthews. The bolded is just not true.

Matthews deserved some criticism, which he gets, but they are different players and different situations.

From all the various reports out there that bench scene could have been any one of Matthews, Marner or Nylander bickering about something.

Marner scored a random goal after that. Leafs lost. Nylander went on a scoring streak and Matthews disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

If Matthews disappeared in the third in a push to claw back 2-2 in the series and the Leafs had lost Game 5 the next night without him, there would have been some serious questions.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
From all the various reports out there that bench scene could have been any one of Matthews, Marner or Nylander bickering about something.

Marner scored a random goal after that. Leafs lost. Nylander went on a scoring streak and Matthews disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

If Matthews disappeared in the third in a push to claw back 2-2 in the series and the Leafs had lost Game 5 the next night without him, there would have been some serious questions.

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of arguing imo - shows they actually do care. It also happens on every bench whether cameras catch it or not. Marner was the only one who took his gloves off and threw them on the ground. Honestly none of the three actions really merit being classified a hissy fit but Marner’s would be closest. Hell it didn’t even look like Matthews even likely raised his voice.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Both of those players are complete phonies and I see no argument to the contrary.
Neither has excelled at playoff style hockey. You can include Nylander in that list as well. We don’t know if it’ll ever change, but Marner has at least won in Junior and Matthews grew up a showcase player and maybe that’s all he’ll ever be.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Neither has excelled at playoff style hockey. You can include Nylander in that list as well. We don’t know if it’ll ever change, but Marner has at least won in Junior and Matthews grew up a showcase player and maybe that’s all he’ll ever be.
Willie won the World and was MVP.

Anyhow, I do agree with you as AM just doesn’t play like a guy who is always one of the biggest guy if not the biggest on the ice. Knies plays exactly like a guy who is always one of the biggest on the ice.

I am not talking about their style but more mentality. Knies don’t just play tough, he trolls and love talking trash but AM rarely does it.

Oct 18, 2010
Marner fans blaming Matthews. Now I get it.

What :biglaugh:

It also happened in Anaheim when Marner got "benched" (missed 2 shifts). Meanwhile Matthews was worse and nobody talked about it. I think people are too scared to criticize Matthews because they think he will leave. And I think the fans don't want to admit that the problem goes much deeper than one thing.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It also happened in Anaheim when Marner got "benched" (missed 2 shifts). Meanwhile Matthews was worse and nobody talked about it. I think people are too scared to criticize Matthews because they think he will leave. And I think the fans don't want to admit that the problem goes much deeper than one thing.

I also don’t know if the problems are that deep but definitely requires some kind of culture reset.

I’ll just use Barkov as a comparison because it’s easily available and the hockey world has been buzzing about him.

One quote going around is how everything snaps into position when Barkov is on the ice because he does everything properly and is in the right place yada yada…

Matthews has that ability to be a 200 foot beast as well but I see a lot of inconsistency to what he brings every night.

Sometimes he’s on the Phil Kessel program. Shows up to play a solid 7 minutes a night, drops 2 goals and an assist and its job done. Sometimes he throws his body around like he’s on a rampage. Sometimes he’s a committed shot blocking, puck stripping and back checking machine. Sometimes he’s sleepwalking. Sometimes he looks like an elite playmaker. Sometimes he has fire.

The quality control is simply not always there. Can Berube make that tweak at the top and let it all fall into place? If not, then that’s a deeper problem, whether you need to build a more alpha core around Matthews, such as the way Florida surrounded Barkov with more serious people, or if not, you need a new alpha at some point.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Wrong. Check the thread you just replied in, as well as the Tavares, Nylander, and Reilly threads for proof.

Stop trying to push your fake narrative.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What does that mean? He was on the Price is Right?
That’s a term we use down here in the south about some baseball players….”bless him, he’s great in the showcase, but that boy cant play a lick when it matters”.

Willie won the World and was MVP.

Anyhow, I do agree with you as AM just doesn’t play like a guy who is always one of the biggest guy if not the biggest on the ice. Knies plays exactly like a guy who is always one of the biggest on the ice.

I am not talking about their style but more mentality. Knies don’t just play tough, he trolls and love talking trash but AM rarely does it.
Willie won the B Tournament…yaaaay.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I’m not. During his locker clean out he showed a lack of leadership

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
AM was good in Game 1, just didn’t score. If he scored that goal instead of hitting the post on that misplay by Swayman or Bruins D, Game 1 would probably end differently.
Game 2, AM dominated.

I agree that MM gets it worse than AM but AM gets it too. Just that there are far less diehard AM can do no wrong fans than MM can do no wrong fans and that’s why discussions on AM’s bad playoffs are a lot less.
Being good means closing the deal. At his price point he needs to score those goals not hit the post

Resistance to what?
Resistance is futile

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Being good means closing the deal. At his price point he needs to score those goals not hit the post

Resistance is futile
By no means am I giving a free pass to AM.
Just pointing something out.
Even if he scored that goal in Game 1 and Leafs won that game, as long as they didn’t win the series, it means nothing.

The tallest of the Hobbits is still short.

Reactions: Racer88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad