Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I literally dont understand this post. Did chat GPT make this up for you? Playing softball? What? Dude was our best forward at ES and one of our best players in the post season. Dude is going to put up 80-90 pts if he gets Mika's PP minutes. It took him longer than expected, but he's arrived,

I know, right? The gall.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I literally dont understand this post. Did chat GPT make this up for you? Playing softball? What? Dude was our best forward at ES and one of our best players in the post season. Dude is going to put up 80-90 pts if he gets Mika's PP minutes. It took him longer than expected, but he's arrived,
He's sarcastically referencing some preseason "wisdom."

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I used to ref. I could see myself saying you both got one so you are even but I could never imagine myself telling a player he can go give a cross check to make them even. That was crazy. Imagine if Bennet really laid in to Laf and then said you told me I could. :D

This is eye opening.

I think Laf deserves so much credit for this season. I say that because I thought he kept getting better. His first half was a good surprise but his second half was better and then he raised his game again in the playoffs. That kind of continued improvement rarely takes place during a season. Now I just really hope he works even harder this offseason. It is so important for him and this franchise.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I used to ref. I could see myself saying you both got one so you are even but I could never imagine myself telling a player he can go give a cross check to make them even. That was crazy. Imagine if Bennet really laid in to Laf and then said you told me I could. :D

I think Laf deserves so much credit for this season. I say that because I thought he kept getting better. His first half was a good surprise but his second half was better and then he raised his game again in the playoffs. That kind of continued improvement rarely takes place during a season. Now I just really hope he works even harder this offseason. It is so important for him and this franchise.

I just posted a related thought in the roster building thread. Watching this, it's so clear he is a first line player. I didn't recognize it during the year, I kinda followed along like you...I was focused on him finishing chances. But how many times does that puck start on his stick? It's an awful lot.

I dunno what more the dude has to do. I think he can just keep abusing defenseman. There are more than a few Dmen falling down around him here.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Last offseason people here were criticizing him for having social media posts of him playing softball instead of working out.

They said he was lazy and didnt care bc of this.

They were wrong

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Last offseason people here were criticizing him for having social media posts of him playing softball instead of working out.

They were wrong
It’s just endless copes from this fan base when it comes to underperforming young forwards. Any excuse not to blame the org and their horrendous track record when it comes to development, talent evaluation, knowledge of basic age production curve

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
It’s just endless copes from this fan base when it comes to underperforming young forwards. Any excuse not to blame the org and their horrendous track record when it comes to development, talent evaluation, knowledge of basic age production curve

But after 30 (sadly, +) years now, when do we turn the corner? The fact that it took a few years doesn't change where we are. This organization is frustrating. I thought being a Mets fan was bad, but come on :).

Anyway, if you wanted Laffy to be this good 2 years ago, it didn't happen. It doesn't mean he isn't becoming a monster.

We can kill the Yakupov comparisons at this point. The dude is a line driver by himself.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I just posted a related thought in the roster building thread. Watching this, it's so clear he is a first line player. I didn't recognize it during the year, I kinda followed along like you...I was focused on him finishing chances. But how many times does that puck start on his stick? It's an awful lot.

I dunno what more the dude has to do. I think he can just keep abusing defenseman. There are more than a few Dmen falling down around him here.
Many of the good things we saw rarely happened in his first few years. In fact even in the first third of the season they weren't happening nearly as often as the last few months. His game snowballed. Pucks that would bounce off his stick previously were stuck to his stick. Thats a sign of a very good player. When the puck seems attracted to him. His motor was much improved. I think that helps in many ways including concentration.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
But after 30 (sadly, +) years now, when do we turn the corner? The fact that it took a few years doesn't change where we are. This organization is frustrating. I thought being a Mets fan was bad, but come on :).

Anyway, if you wanted Laffy to be this good 2 years ago, it didn't happen. It doesn't mean he isn't becoming a monster.

We can kill the Yakupov comparisons at this point. The dude is a line driver by himself.
of course, it’s great that Laf looks like he’s going to live up to the billing. I just don’t think the team should be praised for taking 4 years to try Laf with Panarin and leave it alone. That’s an embarrassing fail more than anything else given the seasons those two had.

If NYR can have lafreniere a consensus 1OA wing looking that mid for years with Panarins RW wide open for years then what hope is there for significantly less good players.

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

They were wrong
Social media has rotted away the collective brain of society. Or just shows how braindead most of society always has been; now they've been given an outlet to showcase it.

Laf breaking out this season was such a treat to watch. Hopefully this coaching staff actually rewards him for it next season.

Reactions: Ruggs225

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
of course, it’s great that Laf looks like he’s going to live up to the billing. I just don’t think the team should be praised for taking 4 years to try Laf with Panarin and leave it alone. That’s an embarrassing fail more than anything else given the seasons those two had.

If NYR can have lafreniere a consensus 1OA wing looking that mid for years with Panarins RW wide open for years then what hope is there for significantly less good players.
It took 2 years. They tried him with Panarin (and Tro) at the start of 22-23 and it was shit so GG went back to the Kid Line that everyone was clamoring for

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
It took 2 years. They tried him with Panarin (and Tro) at the start of 22-23 and it was shit so GG went back to the Kid Line that everyone was clamoring for
I definitely wasn’t clamoring for that and I think many others weren’t either. It wasn’t shit, GG just had no patience. His insertion of Goodrow there was shit

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I definitely wasn’t clamoring for that and I think many others weren’t either. It wasn’t shit, GG just had no patience. His insertion of Goodrow there was shit
I wasn't either, but quote a few were. And in GG's defense that line wasn't doing much despite constantly being 1st in 5v5 ice time

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
We could have developed Laf faster if we force fed him minutes and gave him PP time. Had we done that, he would cost a lot more than he does now and we would have had to make other moves to make the cap work.
the entire f***ing justification for trading buchnevich was "we need to force feed these guys minutes."

if that was conditional, or not the intention, than the buchnevich trade was a grievous error.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
the entire f***ing justification for trading buchnevich was "we need to force feed these guys minutes."

if that was conditional, or not the intention, than the buchnevich trade was a grievous error.
I mean there was clearly an implied task there that with the opportunity presented with Buch being moved, someone actually had to grasp said oppertunity... and yes, Drury obviously misread the ability of KK and Krav (or anyone else) to do that.

The 'force feeding' of minutes to Laf is still an interesting one for me. We basically did it to start 22-23, and we went 6-5-3 while doing so. After coming off a ECF appearance the season before, just how much losing does the fanbase actually tolerate as long as Laf is seeing top 3 icetime 5v5?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That may just as well have been 27:27 of Anne Hathaway staring into the camera and repeatedly saying my name.

Is training camp here yet?
IMG_8035.png

• Haha
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad