Confirmed with Link: Austin Watson joins Red Wings for training camp PTO

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
For next season we have Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Kane , Tarasenko, Compher, Rasmussen, Veleno, Motte, Fischer, Copp and Berggren . That's 12 forwards
Seider, Edvinsson, Petry, Maatta, Chiarot, Gustafson, Holl and AJo . That's 8
3 goalies.
Total 23 players
What would Yzerman do if couple of kids in training camp looks better than those 23 players

I think we all know the answer to this ;) (I'm crying on the inside)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
1-way NHL contract and send down to GR.

1-way or 2-way determines the salary. Nothing else.
I know that, I just meant saying theres basically 0 chance he gets a contract is a little odd considering he could easily sign in GR and not see any time in the NHL. Thats still a contract

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
If you watched the game, you'll know more and more why we need to sign this guy. No unnecessary slashes on Seider/anyone without the bell being rang. Seider could have easily handled himself too but, is that what we really want him doing night in and out?

Teams have players like MacEwen, Delasierras, Reaves, Rempe, Xhekaj... etc. We need someone to hold the line in fights, doesn't even have to win.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I didn’t watch last night when he got tossed.. but excluding that, I think Watson has looked good enough on the PK and defensively, on top of how often he has crushed guys to deserve a spot as the 13th forward.

The stuff last night stopping Mo from getting into it with a career axe man is just the cherry on top

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
If watson gets signed and kasper sticks who goes??

The easy answer would be berggren cause of the way hes been handled but I think it would be a mistake to let him walk for nothing basically at this point. Ideally would be copp with retention but I doubt it happens

Berggren veleno motte ?

Debrincat larkin raymond
Tarasenko kasper kane
Rasmussen compher berggren
Motte copp Fischer
Watson

Ideally I'd move copp but I cant see how anyone takes him even at 3.5-4 with rosters pretty much set. Veleno cant see him being satisfied with 4th line duties his whole career

Could be motte and go with a fischer veleno copp 4th line

I do think watson makes the team and I'll be pissed if kasper doesn't

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
If we are (hopefully) only keeping two goalies there is no reason to not keep Watson as the 13th forward. He can do some stuff other than fight as others have mentioned. It’s really not a big issue.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
If watson gets signed and kasper sticks who goes??

The easy answer would be berggren cause of the way hes been handled but I think it would be a mistake to let him walk for nothing basically at this point. Ideally would be copp with retention but I doubt it happens

Berggren veleno motte ?

Debrincat larkin raymond
Tarasenko kasper kane
Rasmussen compher berggren
Motte copp Fischer
Watson

Ideally I'd move copp but I cant see how anyone takes him even at 3.5-4 with rosters pretty much set. Veleno cant see him being satisfied with 4th line duties his whole career

Could be motte and go with a fischer veleno copp 4th line

I do think watson makes the team and I'll be pissed if kasper doesn't

It’s Berggren or Veleno. Columbus eventually needs to get to the floor and I believe Veleno would accomplish that, so it’s worth pursuing. It’ll probably be Berggren based on his deployment though.

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
It’s Berggren or Veleno. Columbus eventually needs to get to the floor and I believe Veleno would accomplish that, so it’s worth pursuing. It’ll probably be Berggren based on his deployment though.
I dont think either of them have a long term future in detroit but I'd rather get rid of veleno now and berggren in a year or 2 if he builds up his stock

As for Columbus I believe they're given an exception for the salary cap for this season as they should be

Last edited:
Reactions: deca guard

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Moving on from Veleno and/or Berggren because you want Kane and Watson on a rebuilding team would be top tier asset-management...

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
Moving on from Veleno and/or Berggren because you want Kane and Watson on a rebuilding team would be top tier asset-management...
I dont know why anyone wouldn't want kane atm. He'd only benefit guys like kasper longterm

I don't care for watson I just suspect yzerman will sign him. I'd rather move a copp which I dont see happening or the likes of motte Fischer but those guys are 4th liners and its pointless putting kasper and the kids on that line

Just mentioned veleno cause I don't ever see him being more than a 4th liner on this team and can't see him being here longterm and him being satisfied with that role.

Trust me nothing would make me happier to see mazur make it and have possibly a 3rd g.r line of mazur kasper berggren.

Suspect ilitch wants the wings to compete now so I see another year of development for mazur and berggren glued to the 4th line

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
If you watched the game, you'll know more and more why we need to sign this guy. No unnecessary slashes on Seider/anyone without the bell being rang. Seider could have easily handled himself too but, is that what we really want him doing night in and out?

Teams have players like MacEwen, Delasierras, Reaves, Rempe, Xhekaj... etc. We need someone to hold the line in fights, doesn't even have to win.
Because having another Luke Witkowski will make us such a better team.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012

But like… what did he actually do?

I turned the game on right as they were trying to figure out what the penalties were and Ken & Mick didn’t have any clue. Doesn’t seem like anyone in the GDT knew what Watson did either

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I dont know why anyone wouldn't want kane atm. He'd only benefit guys like kasper longterm

I don't care for watson I just suspect yzerman will sign him. I'd rather move a copp which I dont see happening or the likes of motte Fischer but those guys are 4th liners and its pointless putting kasper and the kids on that line

Just mentioned veleno cause I don't ever see him being more than a 4th liner on this team and can't see him being here longterm and him being satisfied with that role.

Trust me nothing would make me happier to see mazur make it and have possibly a 3rd g.r line of mazur kasper berggren.

Suspect ilitch wants the wings to compete now so I see another year of development for mazur and berggren glued to the 4th line
There is really nothing that Kasper should learn from Kane. They do not and will not play the same position or style. Maybe shootouts but I don't really care about those.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
But like… what did he actually do?

I turned the game on right as they were trying to figure out what the penalties were and Ken & Mick didn’t have any clue. Doesn’t seem like anyone in the GDT knew what Watson did either
Well, Idk about the GDT, but to answer your question, if it's not rhetorical...

Seider made a rough check/play on Jan Jenik which upset him a little, that lead to some stick jousting in front of our net and then Jenik slashing/cross checking in the arms Seider, Watson turned back and saw, and immediately turned down ice and threw him down. Seider could have handled it very much in the same way Watson did.

Last edited:
Reactions: izlez

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
There is really nothing that Kasper should learn from Kane. They do not and will not play the same position or style. Maybe shootouts but I don't really care about those.
Couldn't hurt to have kasper around kane and help him learn a thing or two and become a more offensive impact guy

Kane wont be here longterm but I'd rather have him today over some guys we currently have. Yzermans mistake was giving copp 5 years,not kane yearly deals.

Same with compher,5 years was too much for a guy who got 50 pts once playing on a top team. Anyways I dont think it would hurt kasper to have kane on his wing for a season

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, not saying Watson is Patrick Maroon either but he plays a similar role. That's a better comparable at least even if it's on the other side of the spectrum from Witkowski.

Watson can actually play a penalty killer role and does well as a shot blocking forward.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
whether Watson is the 13th forward or not is whatever but you know what 7 minutes of powerplays for the other team does in an actual game? flat out forfeits the game

and being on the penalty kill for that long in an actual game? probably a pretty solid chance someone on your team is getting injured, at least more of one than the nebulous "scary enforcer" people love to talk about actually does for preventing anything

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Nobody signs enforcers to make the team better, they serve a purpose. Who's the last player to win 3 Cups in a row?
I’ll bite on this just because I’m genuinely curious. Who did the Panthers or Knights have who’s sole purpose was to enforce and made a genuine impact for their cup run?

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I’ll bite on this just because I’m genuinely curious. Who did the Panthers or Knights have who’s sole purpose was to enforce and made a genuine impact for their cup run?
The Panthers as a whole are a tough team. There's no point on that roster as they have the player personnel already in place. Wings are a much less physical team, which could benefit from an enforcer type

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad