Confirmed with Link: Austin Watson joins Red Wings for training camp PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Hes from Michigan... he can get signed to a 2 way, play in Grand Rapids and still be home for Christmas and shit like that. If injuries come up, the team needs a bit of a spark or theyre getting pushed around he can get a call up.

Its a PTO who cares
100%...if a rookie/prospect can't beat Watson out, well, it's because they're not very good or not good enough yet...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a good organizational move, he is a solid veteran that sticks up for teammates. He also has come out the other side of a bunch of personal issues so he has a lot of wisdom to impart if he does wind up down in Grand Rapids. I assume they have a two-way element to this, but I am fine with this signing, it is good organizational depth.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hes from Michigan... he can get signed to a 2 way, play in Grand Rapids and still be home for Christmas and shit like that. If injuries come up, the team needs a bit of a spark or theyre getting pushed around he can get a call up.

Its a PTO who cares

Maybe some thought we signed a Pontiac PTO to play.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Not really the worst idea.
Maybe - just maybe he gels with the team at camp and adds an element to the roster where his teammates play with a bit more gusto with him in the lineup.

100%...if a rookie/prospect can't beat Watson out, well, it's because they're not very good or not good enough yet...
But…But…But…We’re holding back all that talent from GR!!!

:laugh:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Chiasson and Bobby Ryan made the team after signing a PTO. The team doesn't have an enforcer at all, so there's an obvious need.

If the team needs a spare part that can be sent back and forth to GR, I'd rather have someone like Watson instead of Czarnik. Not impressed with his fighting ability though.

I guess it depends on the direction of the team Yzerman is wanting to take. Is he wanting to draft high or draft low. I think Mazur has a better chance at cracking the lineup over some random PTO signing. And rightfully so.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Maybe - just maybe he gels with the team at camp and adds an element to the roster where his teammates play with a bit more gusto with him in the lineup.

But…But…But…We’re holding back all that talent from GR!!!

:laugh:
For next season we have Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Kane , Tarasenko, Compher, Rasmussen, Veleno, Motte, Fischer, Copp and Berggren . That's 12 forwards
Seider, Edvinsson, Petry, Maatta, Chiarot, Gustafson, Holl and AJo . That's 8
3 goalies.
Total 23 players
What would Yzerman do if couple of kids in training camp looks better than those 23 players

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What would Yzerman do if couple of kids in training camp looks better than those 23 players
Option 1: Attempt to trade said player(s) if they have any trade value.

Option 2: Waive said player(s) if they have no trade value. If they pass through waivers, send them down to Grand Rapids. If they refuse to report, then terminate their contract.

They missed the playoffs by one damn point. While I'm perfectly fine with having a high standard of when a kid is ready for the NHL, I have zero patience for any notion of, "Well, yeah, he's better than one or two of the veterans, but he's still waiver exempt, so..."

Ice the best team you can and to hell with the egos. Let's rock.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Other than this guy potentially blocking a kid’s roster spot, why are we mad at this?
waynes-world-garth.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For next season we have Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Kane , Tarasenko, Compher, Rasmussen, Veleno, Motte, Fischer, Copp and Berggren . That's 12 forwards
Seider, Edvinsson, Petry, Maatta, Chiarot, Gustafson, Holl and AJo . That's 8
3 goalies.
Total 23 players

My choice would be Husso, Holl, or Motte to GR (in order of preference). All of them will clear waivers. Not good for a goalie to sit for months without playing anyways. It'd be doing Husso a favor to send him down.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd say his chances of earning a contract are <.000001%.
A one way NHL contract, quite possibly. A two way in Grad Rapids? I would be kinda surprised if the wings didnt put him there, assuming hes willing to ride the bus

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd say his chances of earning a contract are <.000001%.

It's a lot higher than that. I'd rather have him on the roster than Husso or Holl. GR could use a tough guy as well. So maybe they work out a league min contract and move him up and down as necessary. Let's keep in mind Stevie gave Kostin $2M x 2 years as RFA.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's a lot higher than that. I'd rather have him on the roster than Husso or Holl. GR could use a tough guy as well. So maybe they work out a league min contract and move him up and down as necessary. Let's keep in mind Stevie gave Kostin $2M x 2 years as RFA.
We had roster and cap space then. Plugging him as a GR guy, sure, I was speaking specifically earning a contract as an NHL roster player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We had roster and cap space then. Plugging him as a GR guy, sure, I was speaking specifically earning a contract as an NHL roster player.

Send Husso or Holl to GR. There's your cap and roster space.

Virtually every team carries 13 forwards on their roster, I can't recall any team starting the season with 8D and 3 goalies. So I think his chances are much higher than your estimate.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Send Husso or Holl to GR. There's your cap and roster space.

Virtually every team carries 13 forwards on their roster, I can't recall any team starting the season with 8D and 3 goalies. So I think his chances are much higher than your estimate.
I'd say it's more likely we start with 8D and 3G than it is that we make desperation moves to dump players to make room for Austin Watson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad