Confirmed with Link: Austin Watson joins Red Wings for training camp PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Okay, I'll bite. Let's say we sign him. Who sits?
I think most nights(if he mades the team) will be a healthy scratch.

Maybe even play in GR after a wavier move and be a first guy call up early in the season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Stevie went dumpster diving for an enforcer, yay.

Sadly, he scored as many goals as Copp 2 seasons ago, and has better AHL stats than Kasper.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sadly, he scored as many goals as Copp 2 seasons ago, and has better AHL stats than Kasper.
Watson has played 234 AHL games (3 full seasons plus another 3 brief stints) with a total of 132 points (0.564 PPG). Kasper has played 71 AHL games (one full season) with a total of 35 points (0.493 PPG)...after rehabbing from a broken kneecap.

But even if I set the injury aside for a moment, let's take a more even sample size.

In his first 76 AHL games, Watson scored 37 points (0.487 PPG). That's a lower rate than a less-than-100-percent Kasper in a more equal sample size.

You can have concerns about a prospect - or even be down on him - without being disingenuous.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Chiasson and Bobby Ryan made the team after signing a PTO. The team doesn't have an enforcer at all, so there's an obvious need.

If the team needs a spare part that can be sent back and forth to GR, I'd rather have someone like Watson instead of Czarnik. Not impressed with his fighting ability though.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Chiasson and Bobby Ryan made the team after signing a PTO. The team doesn't have an enforcer at all, so there's an obvious need.

If the team needs a spare part that can be sent back and forth to GR, I'd rather have someone like Watson instead of Czarnik. Not impressed with his fighting ability though.
So , if he is not a good fighter , why do we need him as enforcer . I hope to see Mazur, Danielson or Kasper to be call up for Red Wings. Unless we got him to help kids in GR I don't see reason to keep him

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
Jesus. What is everyone so worked up about? This is a hard working dude to provide competition in training camp and preseason. It gives him an opportunity to prove he can still be NHL worthy while giving younger players competition. The goal, for him, should be to look good enough to earn a contract with anyone watching.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
camp2.gif

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

Sometimes I forget that bobby Ryan played for us

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So , if he is not a good fighter , why do we need him as enforcer . I hope to see Mazur, Danielson or Kasper to be call up for Red Wings. Unless we got him to help kids in GR I don't see reason to keep him

He's not a top enforcer in this league, but he can at least put up a showing better than anyone on the roster. This team is one of the softest, if not the softest team in the league.

I would much rather much have someone like Zadarov, but that contract was a bit much for me. People here said he's worthless, and he got $5M x 6 years from Boston. I'd like to be worthless, lol.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He's not a top enforcer in this league, but he can at least put up a showing better than anyone on the roster. This team is one of the softest, if not the softest team in the league.

I would much rather much have someone like Zadarov, but that contract was a bit much for me. People here said he's worthless, and he got $5M x 6 years from Boston. I'd like to be worthless, lol.
Zadorov is similar to Trouba, tough guy, who takes sometimes bad penalties

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't get why, there is absolutely no need for him as its tight enough like it is with those fighting for spots now.

Preseason schedule is 8 games, including 3 straight games in 3 days to end it. PTO's like this can be as simple as having warm bodies to play so actual NHL players don't need to play too many preseason games. Also there are rules about games played in the NHL for preseason games, so guys that have NHL games under their belt are needed if you don't want your regulars having to play so often in meaningless games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Preseason schedule is 8 games, including 3 straight games in 3 days to end it. PTO's like this can be as simple as having warm bodies to play so actual NHL players don't need to play too many preseason games. Also there are rules about games played in the NHL for preseason games, so guys that have NHL games under their belt are needed if you don't want your regulars having to play so often in meaningless games.

I think there's some mutual interest involved, not just a warm body for preseason.

NHL preseason veteran rule is 30 games the prior season or 100 games total. The team already has Dries, Lagesson, and Motte to use as preseason warm bodies. Add one of the goalies and that's 4 out of 8 required veterans. Add Fischer, Veleno, Holl, and a second goalie, and that's 8 right there with no meaningful players.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

That could be actually. Also could be an understanding that maybe no other teams wanted him now, its a way for him to show he's still fit and get Yzerman/Detroit coaching staff as reference if spots open elsewhere.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Most of the time it's relative to who he's fighting. Not many guys period are routinely winning against Maroon/Deslauriers. Only certain players step up to the plate period.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes from Michigan... he can get signed to a 2 way, play in Grand Rapids and still be home for Christmas and shit like that. If injuries come up, the team needs a bit of a spark or theyre getting pushed around he can get a call up.

Its a PTO who cares

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad