Austin Watson fires a slapshot at Jeremy Lauzon at the end of the game

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Before watching, was expecting a shot towards the net, which it was.

That is what I saw. I think it is hilarious - but so on point for this group - that it took 24 posts for someone to come to this realization.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If it were unintentional he’d have thrown his hands up or something to indicate that.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
It’s unreal how dirty Tampa is when they’re down - and they get away with it mostly because of the lack of media attention in Tampa.

If this happened on a bigger market team, there would be comments from the NHL already.
I basically assume that a player will be injured when playing the Lightning. Kucherov is usually good for 1-2 cheapshots per game, and Cernak is singlehandedly increasing the rates of future CTE among active players.

Reactions: Chainshot

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I happen think that Watson was shooting the puck towards the player, not towards the net. Do not like it at all. That said, from the angle it looks like Lauzon was standing between Watson and the net, so you have to accept shooting at the net as the explanation if Watson chooses to say that. Consequently, any suspension/fine talk seems hopeless to me, since shooting the puck at the net with time still left on the clock is a legitimate play to make.

Reactions: egelband

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I played hockey until my early 20's various levels (not professional), I was always a shooter/goal scorer on all my teams. I would never intentionally shoot at a player at the end of a game bc there's no point. But during the game......hell yeh I would shoot at a goalies head if he was playing hot to raddle him or if players kept blocking my shot, hell yeh I would shoot at them intentionally (in low % shooting positions) bc if you want to block my shot and a potential goal then there will be a price to pay. A lot less players would block my shots after 1-2 hit them up high during a game.

If this was intentional at the end of game, looks like that to me........he would be answering for that in the future.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Surprised there wasn't a thread made about this already, just saw it on the morning highlights. I don't know the exact rules on this, but is this suspension worthy ? There should be some sort of disciplinary action for that. That's about as dirty as it gets. Literally 1 second left, it's a 5-1 game and you fire a slapshot straight at your opponent ? Lauzon limped off, hopefully it's not a serious injury. Not sure what Watson is even thinking there, frustration ?

Disciplined for what? You answered your own question ‘1 second left’. There wasn’t a single rule bent, let alone broken. Everyone plays until the hooter/whistle. It obviously wasn’t intentional either. It was reckless though and happens frequently

• Haha
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Disciplined for what? You answered your own question ‘1 second left’. There wasn’t a single rule bent, let alone broken. Everyone plays until the hooter/whistle. It obviously wasn’t intentional either. It was reckless though and happens frequently
How is it obvious that it wasn't intentional?

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

'Has 50 feet of open ice, 1.5 seconds left in the game, in his own zone, losing 5-1, got into a fight minutes earlier out of frustration, despite having 50 feet of open ice, shoots the puck at the only thing standing in his way'

Some dude - "Obviously wasn't intentional"

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Disciplined for what? You answered your own question ‘1 second left’. There wasn’t a single rule bent, let alone broken.
You could hit him with an unsportsmanlike move with intention to injure.

'Has 50 feet of open ice, 1.5 seconds left in the game, in his own zone, losing 5-1, got into a fight minutes earlier out of frustration, despite having 50 feet of open ice, shoots the puck at the only thing standing in his way'

Some dude - "Obviously wasn't intentional"
Bingo.
People being obtuse for shits and giggles.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
It's 5-1, not a last-ditch effort to tie a 1-goal game. Watson is a moron and should be fined or suspended. Anyone saying it's nothing is being purposefully obtuse to the context of what happened.

It's also completely inline with Tampa's MO when a game isn't going their way. That edge is partially why they've been so good for so long, but they'll pull BS like this when they're trying to get back into games or to try and send a message when they've for sure lost one. Kucherov is the worst offender, but it's a team-wide personality. They physically dominate teams as much as they beat them with skill when they're at their best, but the snarl crosses the line at times.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
I'm confident that was on purpose. He has a lot of time and every player is aware of who is between him and the net before winding up because you're trying to avoid a block. It's also why you don't see guys clearing the zone and hammering a slapshot dead straight at defenders in the neutral zone.

There is a funny clip last year of Bouchard teeing up one-timers on a PP at the end of a game and Nick Paul blocks a few. Cooper cried about it in the post game saying Bouchard tried to injure his player so it's a bit ironic this happens.

You love to see Tampa get stomped and the ensuing tantrum they throw. Sorest losers around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad