OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Some Friday questions:

1) Name something you remember that your parents told you that ended up being total nonsense? Things like you not swallowing watermelon seeds or one would grow inside you, etc.

2) How old was/is the longest living relative in your family?

3) If you could take a month long vacation, all expenses paid, where would you go or what would you do? Magically, all your work would be done when you got back, so no worries at all.

4) What is your favourite comic strip, comic book, etc?

5) Today is "find your inner nerd" day, what nerdy things do you enjoy?

1) That swimming after eating thing, I guess. I never upchucked like Bill Paxton in "Apollo 13".

2) My uncle Austin lived to 92.

3. I would visit the great national parks in Utah, Montana, Wyoming, etc. I adore New England, but I have a hankering to see the great landscapes in the west.

4. I don't have one particular favorite, but I had a routine list of comics I read as a kid, usually in the NY Daily News: Blondie, Beetle Bailey, Hagar The Horrible, Motley's Crew, B.C., Peanuts, etc., pretty vanilla. Allow me to put in a plug for the cartoons in the New Yorker.

5. Like a previous poster, I nerd out on history, science and true crime programming. I can't enough about the JFK assassination, the Five Families, the Zodiac, the Alcatraz escape, the Apollo moonshots(as I should, my alma mater helped put men on the moon), etc. My DVR is hopelessly backed up with stuff like "See No Evil", "An Unexpected Killer", "Bloodline Detectives", etc.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/2/good-beard-nice-beard-harry-bliss.jpg

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Congrats.

Other than the comp package, what else about this opportunity excites you? Is it a place you can see yourself for a while? Is there room for advancement? Any opportunities for training?

Tbh just bored and want to work and make money at the moment. There are advancement opportunities.

Panda contacted me for a second interview today as well.

Virtual one

Both companies have good compensation and benefits

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
TBH I havent been on here past 2-3 days because I been busy. I have felt the best I have felt in 6 years. Slowly shaking off the stigma and trauma of my ex

Happier anxious and exited about the future

Havent hard the bad headache I was having anymore

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have an opportunity to move into a duplex at the beginning of November. It would be great because it's about the same distance from work, it has a garage (YAAAAAY), has more square footage, and is cheaper rent.

The issue is, my current lease is not up until April and essentially you have to pay out the full term of the lease whether you move out before the lease is up or not. It's not like I'm getting a new job and moving out of state, so I don't know if I can talk them into letting me out early without having to do that. It would just suck to lose this opportunity because of that. But I can't afford to pay two rents from November through April.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Space update:

Appears Space X won't be allowed to run a rescue mission to the ISS;

"NASA will call on SpaceX to bring home two astronauts who have been stuck on the International Space Station since early June after their Boeing spacecraft ran into several problems midflight, the agency said Saturday."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I have an opportunity to move into a duplex at the beginning of November. It would be great because it's about the same distance from work, it has a garage (YAAAAAY), has more square footage, and is cheaper rent.

The issue is, my current lease is not up until April and essentially you have to pay out the full term of the lease whether you move out before the lease is up or not. It's not like I'm getting a new job and moving out of state, so I don't know if I can talk them into letting me out early without having to do that. It would just suck to lose this opportunity because of that. But I can't afford to pay two rents from November through April.
I don't know if the market is anything like it is here but a lot of landlords want tenants to leave so that they can hike the rents. I hope it works out!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't know if the market is anything like it is here but a lot of landlords want tenants to leave so that they can hike the rents. I hope it works out!
Well, they do love to hike the rents so maybe that will be in my favor. I suck at negotiating lol

Reactions: caz16

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

You can always tell them your financial situation changed or you could tell them they can keep your security deposit. Just be honest with them and see if you can't work something out.

No matter what, ask for a copy of your signed lease and see if there is any wiggle room in the document

Good luck!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
These pictures may or may not post.

Today, I believe I made the first known purchase of a Nikita Zadorov Bruins
T-shirt. #91.

I also bought a Centennial beanie.

A typical customer would pay $45 for the T-shirt and $35 for the beanie.

With my employee discount of 40%, the total was $48.

Frugal (cheap) and discerning as I am, I am pleased.

I'll also be the coolest kid on the block for about 10 seconds wearing the Zadorov T-shirt home on the T.

Attachments

• IMG_20240824_163607_2.jpg
    IMG_20240824_163607_2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240824_163324_2.jpg
    IMG_20240824_163324_2.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 0

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Some Friday questions:

1) Name something you remember that your parents told you that ended up being total nonsense? Things like you not swallowing watermelon seeds or one would grow inside you, etc.

3) If you could take a month long vacation, all expenses paid, where would you go or what would you do? Magically, all your work would be done when you got back, so no worries at all.

1. Mom was pretty much right about everything

2. My grandmother (Dad's mom) lived to 94. She died the day my daughter was born (an exact hour before)

3. Probably to Ireland and Wales.

4. Charlie Brown

5. reading.

Reactions: caz16

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So yesterday was exciting.....was loading a door and went to take a step backward on the ground....except I wasn't on the ground......on a one step platform

Backwards....bang....on my ass...hit head on driveway.....went to stand up....fell over again

Small cut on back of head, concussion

Today feel hung over.....but vision is back to normal
Yikes. Be careful!

Reactions: GordonHowe

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
"NASA will call on SpaceX to bring home two astronauts who have been stuck on the International Space Station since early June after their Boeing spacecraft ran into several problems midflight, the agency said Saturday."

The correct decision. It's another black eye for Boeing but it appears NASA has finally learned to prioritize crew safety after losing Challenger & Columbia. 🚀

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's

Dome light in the car at night being illegal.

My great aunt is 95.

I'd go to Toronto. I'm a bit of a homebody though so I wouldn't take a month . . but maybe I'd tell work that I am :P

I'm not much of a comics guy, but I loved Super Diaper Baby when I was 8-9 if that counts.

I am big into pro wrestling. A Japanese wrestling promotion runs about a month long round robin tournament from late July into August and it's perfect entertainment to keep me occupied during the offseason.

Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I was just at the Xfinity Center reliving childhood and teen years.

Makes sense now why traffic is absolutely bonkers now.
There was also a horrible fatal accident at the 495/Rte. 1 intersection, which took hours to investigate and also to capture the perpetrator, who ran off. Stole an SUV from the Gillette lots, then rear-ended a family of six, killing their 10-year-old.

I don’t think I have words for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad