Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With Swayman Bruin finish top 3: Leafs, Panthers, Bruins, Tampa, Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal.
Without Swayman the division changes: Leafs, Panthers, Tampa, Ottawa, Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, Montreal.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
There was a single moment last season that summed up how awful Granato and his staff were: In his first game Byram is on our PP. Having played for one of the best coaches in the league in Colorado he knows what players should be doing in this situation. His new teammates were doing anything but, and an exasperated Byram literally starts pointing with his stick and directing guys where they should be and what they should be doing. If you watched the preseason games under Lindy the difference is night and day.

I had erased that from my memory, Mike. Thanks a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: sabremike

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What about Mid-season swayman?!
Imo playing without Swayman to start the year will damage the Bruin’s too much to recover. If it’s only a handful of games, that’s different. But if it’s 20 games the hole dug (in the standings and in the room) will be too deep to climb out of. The bottom in that division will climb over the Bruins.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not going to make any grand declarations about the Sabres making the playoffs, but we're definitely better than Detroit and Ottawa
Are you just copy/pasting posts from a year ago at this point?

I'm not entirely sure how one could say that with a straight face. The Sens bottom 6 looks competent for the first time in about 6 years. They will have a full year of Pinto. Norris is back in the picture. I'd argue the forward changes/upgrades are equally as important as Ullmark.

On the D-side of things, they should also be better. An extra year for Sanderson, a healthy Chabot, a top 4 RD who actually plays D, and a competent bottom pairing.
I like Jensen but relying on him to provide great top 4 level defense, especially at this point in his career.. I'm not so sure. It's kind of funny the way his reputation got so great after he left Detroit. He had some good times in Washington and some not so good ones. It'll be interesting so see if he's got much left in the tank and can bounce back.

Last edited:

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Hopefully both punk ass Ontario teams will also miss the playoffs (which is likely already with Ottawa)

Hopefully the Habs will remain the division skid mark for a long time to come, and with their hilarious calamity of drafting they seem to be headed that way. Nothing but overrated crap. Reminds of when the Leafs would boost players like Kadri and a bunch of draft busts as budding superstars.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Atlantic might be the only division where every team(sans Montreal) could conceivably make the playoffs.
Would have the Panthers, Bruins, and Leafs all solidly in, but also maybe a disaster season wouldn't be out of the question for any of those three.

Florida: cup hangover, lost some talent, Bob another year older, scoring regression, maybe injuries etc
Boston: Swayman drama, new additions not fitting, can't score goals, Marchand gets old, PP sucks, can't score goals, maybe injuries etc
Toronto: goaltending? who is even their starter, underwhelming patchwork blueline, lack of scoring depth, Marner/Treliving drama, maybe injuries and of course the ever present Maple Leafs factortm

4th spot I would give to the team with the best goaltending, and that's still Tampa. Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Point, and Hedman aren't dead yet and Guentzel I could see going off in his first season there. I really don't think there will be all that much of a downgrade from Sergachev to McDonagh/Moser, Serg was one of the more overrated top pairing guys in the league in my eyes. Could definitely see them falling apart too, or having a horrible start that ultimately sinks them post-Stamkos. Would give them 65/35 type odds at playoffs.
4/5th spot could be any of the Sens, Wings, or Sabres. Out of those three I believe in Detroit most of all. But I'll root Buffalo, 13 years is longer than most 1st offense violent crime convictions. The fans at least have put in their time and then some. I'll say Lindy gets those kooky kids back in the playoffs. Ottawa could get in if Sanderson takes a big step and Ullmark stays healthy. I know what his numbers say but not super sold on Stutzle as a contending 1C.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hopefully the Habs will remain the division skid mark for a long time to come, and with their hilarious calamity of drafting they seem to be headed that way. Nothing but overrated crap. Reminds of when the Leafs would boost players like Kadri and a bunch of draft busts as budding superstars.

Good news is Ottawa's borderline AHL franchise ain't going nowhere, except one day to Québec city, and Toronto is going down in a couple of years too

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
All summer I said the top 4 are still the top 4 and I still believe that.

But if Boston doesn't stop f***ing around and get Sway signed that could cause a drop.

I don't know who would take that spot because it seems like everybody in the Atlantic has some sort of major injury.

But I feel like Swayman is the death blow, he's the guy IMO, every team has their limit, every team has a point of no return and I think if the Bruins don't have Swayman that is their point of no return, that is the one they can't come back from.

Reactions: Laus723

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Atlantic might be the only division where every team(sans Montreal) could conceivably make the playoffs.
Would have the Panthers, Bruins, and Leafs all solidly in, but also maybe a disaster season wouldn't be out of the question for any of those three.

Florida: cup hangover, lost some talent, Bob another year older, scoring regression, maybe injuries etc
Boston: Swayman drama, new additions not fitting, can't score goals, Marchand gets old, PP sucks, can't score goals, maybe injuries etc
Toronto: goaltending? who is even their starter, underwhelming patchwork blueline, lack of scoring depth, Marner/Treliving drama, maybe injuries and of course the ever present Maple Leafs factortm

4th spot I would give to the team with the best goaltending, and that's still Tampa. Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Point, and Hedman aren't dead yet and Guentzel I could see going off in his first season there. I really don't think there will be all that much of a downgrade from Sergachev to McDonagh/Moser, Serg was one of the more overrated top pairing guys in the league in my eyes. Could definitely see them falling apart too, or having a horrible start that ultimately sinks them post-Stamkos. Would give them 65/35 type odds at playoffs.
4/5th spot could be any of the Sens, Wings, or Sabres. Out of those three I believe in Detroit most of all. But I'll root Buffalo, 13 years is longer than most 1st offense violent crime convictions. The fans at least have put in their time and then some. I'll say Lindy gets those kooky kids back in the playoffs. Ottawa could get in if Sanderson takes a big step and Ullmark stays healthy. I know what his numbers say but not super sold on Stutzle as a contending 1C.

Woll is the Leafs starter, and I disagree that the defense is patchwork, I think Tanev, and OEL provide major upgrades, especially Tanev.

Although I would like to see 1 more piece

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I know people have been wrong about the Sens every year for the past few years but I think this year is the year.

I don't know if their year, but they will have to avoid injuries at all cost. IMO, they don't have enough depth to compensate if one of their key player gets sidelined for a couple of months.

I sure hope they make it in, it's been a while since they've had a decent team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You're drawing attention to it!

Would it help if I told you I partly believed it?

I'm not ready to call them a playoff team, but with the Swayman situation in Boston and Ullmark in your net, if Stutzle and Chabot are healthy, which admittedly appears questionable based on what I saw on Twitter.

But if they are healthy, with Ullmark in net, and with the Swayman situation in Boston.

Maybe.

All I'm saying is it's been 20 years since the battle of Ontario.

It's time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Would it help if I told you I partly believed it?

I'm not ready to call them a playoff team, but with the Swayman situation in Boston and Ullmark in your net, if Stutzle and Chabot are healthy, which admittedly appears questionable based on what I saw on Twitter.

But if they are healthy, with Ullmark in net, and with the Swayman situation in Boston.

Maybe.

All I'm saying is it's been 20 years since the battle of Ontario.

It's time.

I certainly agree that it's time. But a lot has to go right IMO.

As a Senators fan, I wouldn't put money down on it. If that means anything.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I certainly agree that it's time. But a lot has to go right IMO.

As a Senators fan, I wouldn't put money down on it. If that means anything.

I wouldn't either Boston is still Boston.

This year it at least feels possible, Maybe still somewhat of a long shot, but possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad