Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I still have no idea why the Sens went out and decided to hire the godawful Travis Green as their coach because that's the thing that's going to sink them. If they had hired someone competent for the position I'd be much higher on them as the pieces are there.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I still have no idea why the Sens went out and decided to hire the godawful Travis Green as their coach because that's the thing that's going to sink them. If they had hired someone competent for the position I'd be much higher on them as the pieces are there.
If players buy into and play the system the coach wants, that also goes a long ways.

Reactions: albator71

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Who’s arguing? I’m not saying Monty moving on isn’t a hit, but a “major hit?” How exactly did Toronto get so much better?? Florida still has the overwhelming majority of its Cup winning team in tact.

The leafs defense is probably the best or adjacent to the best it’s been in 20 years. Is it world class? No, but it’s better than it’s been in two decades.

Forwards are world beaters already

And their starting goaltender was so bad last season they had to remove him from the team. So they should be much improved their as well.

Leafs goals for should be about what they were last season and their goals against should be much much lower

That’s how they’ve improved while the other teams in the Atlantic they compete with have gotten worse

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The leafs defense is probably the best or adjacent to the best it’s been in 20 years. Is it world class? No, but it’s better than it’s been in two decades.

Forwards are world beaters already

And their starting goaltender was so bad last season they had to remove him from the team. So they should be much improved their as well.

Leafs goals for should be about what they were last season and their goals against should be much much lower

That’s how they’ve improved while the other teams in the Atlantic they compete with have gotten worse

I feel like I’ve heard that before about the D. Yes, Tanev is a great defenseman, but he’s also older. OEL filled in nicely, but he’s not much better than McCabe. The goaltending is Woll and Stolarz, I’ll give you that they’re good, but each have limited starts compared to other goalies in the Division. The forwards have yet to perform in the playoffs, but if they want the President’s, well by all means go ahead. They’re an amazing regular season team. I’ll give em that.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I feel like I’ve heard that before about the D. Yes, Tanev is a great defenseman, but he’s also older. OEL filled in nicely, but he’s not much better than McCabe. The goaltending is Woll and Stolarz, I’ll give you that they’re good, but each have limited starts compared to other goalies in the Division. The forwards have yet to perform in the playoffs, but if they want the President’s, well by all means go ahead. They’re an amazing regular season team. I’ll give em that.

I don’t know if they can win the presidents trophy. I wouldn’t say they could.

But I think, looking at the Atlantic as objectively as I can (not very well, I’m a leaf fan through and through) this is the best chance they’ve had to win the division in this iteration of the team

The playoffs is another discussion all together, but this threa DC is about the regular season divisional standings

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don’t know if they can win the presidents trophy. I wouldn’t say they could.

But I think, looking at the Atlantic as objectively as I can (not very well, I’m a leaf fan through and through) this is the best chance they’ve had to win the division in this iteration of the team

The playoffs is another discussion all together, but this threa DC is about the regular season divisional standings

Fair enough, anything’s possible.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
What are you referring to? The same comments were made about Tocchet when he joined Vancouver. Perhaps focus on your team's decision to hire Ruff, who many believe is beyond his prime. Go Sens!

• Haha
Reactions: sabremike

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
advanced stats wise, Sens goaltending was the second worst in the league. Adding a top 10 goalie immediately turns their biggest weakness into a strength.

Sens had 37 wins last year, and Washington made the playoffs with 40. Ullmark can easily be the difference here, especially in a division where most teams got worse.
Who got worse?

Boston - hell no, as long as Swayman signs

Buffalo- definitely not

Wings- definitely not

Montreal- definitely not

Tampa - maybe, but doubt vasilevsky will be bad again

Leafs - arguably about the same

Florida - sure, but still an Elite team

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

Seeing this a lot from Leaf fans this year and I think there's a lot of squinting involved
  • Squint and you might think Morgan Reilly is a #1 defenceman on a cup-winning team
  • Squint and you might think Chris Tanev is a #2
  • Squint and you might think Jake McCabe can anchor a 2nd-pair
  • Squint and you can ignore how mediocre Oliver Ekman-Larsson has been for years in anything other than a sheltered role.
  • Squint and you might think Benoit, Hakanpaa, Lillegren and Timmins represent good blueline depth
  • Squint and you might think Woll and Stolarz represents a good duo in net
  • Squint and you might think Craig Berube is going to transform the collection of kids and castoffs below the core 4 into the dead-puck era Devils
It's not impossible that some of these plans will work out, but that seems like a lot of squinting.

To this outsider, it really looks the same old Leafs: a good team with hyper-concentrated top 4 talent surrounded by too many questions marks elsewhere.

• Love

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I agreee that Ullmark's numbers may go down but he played well in Buffalo when they were the worst team in the league so I don't expect him to drop off a cliff. A perfect example was the pre-season game against Buffalo. He was peppered with 29 shots and stopped 28 of them. The one goal he let in was screened by one of the Sens D. I realize Buffalo iced all prospects but he still had to be sharp.
Regarding Ottawa, their expected Goals For percentage (xGF%) of 51.88 last season ranked third in the Atlantic Division, trailing only Florida and Toronto. The Senators displayed strong team numbers, but their goaltending was a weak point. With the addition of Ullmark, the Senators have significantly improved their chances of reaching the playoffs.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Who got worse?

Boston - hell no, as long as Swayman signs

Buffalo- definitely not

Wings- definitely not

Montreal- definitely not

Tampa - maybe, but doubt vasilevsky will be bad again

Leafs - arguably about the same

Florida - sure, but still an Elite team
The Red Wings seem aged, with players like Tarasenko, Kane, Petry, and Chariot, and their goaltending options are what? Husso, Talbot? It appears the Wings are facing challenges. I concur that Buffalo is a strong team, and while Montreal should improve, they still have significant progress to make. Thus, Buffalo and Ottawa are the teams most likely to reach the playoffs.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
as much as people clown on the Sabres for the 13 year Playoff drought thing there isn't really much difference in practice between that and the Wings 8 years or the Sens 7 years and Buffalo has more talent than either of those teams
It is very different, five or six years more. It sounds worse as a percentage. It's 86% longer than the Sens and 63% longer than the wings. That's alot.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Seeing this a lot from Leaf fans this year and I think there's a lot of squinting involved
  • Squint and you might think Morgan Reilly is a #1 defenceman on a cup-winning team
  • Squint and you might think Chris Tanev is a #2
  • Squint and you might think Jake McCabe can anchor a 2nd-pair
  • Squint and you can ignore how mediocre Oliver Ekman-Larsson has been for years in anything other than a sheltered role.
  • Squint and you might think Benoit, Hakanpaa, Lillegren and Timmins represent good blueline depth
  • Squint and you might think Woll and Stolarz represents a good duo in net
  • Squint and you might think Craig Berube is going to transform the collection of kids and castoffs below the core 4 into the dead-puck era Devils
It's not impossible that some of these plans will work out, but that seems like a lot of squinting.

To this outsider, it really looks the same old Leafs: a good team with hyper-concentrated top 4 talent surrounded by too many questions marks elsewhere.

This post is so out of touch, the Leafs have been a 100+ point team, and at times a top 5 team in their conference for years at this point.

How much squinting do you need to do to understand that their problems are all around the edges and that’s been the only place to ever improve this team?

Aside from goaltending, the entire team has been fantastic in the regular season. No squinting required.

I have no idea what you’re talking about

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
He came in at the trade deadline. He’s a loss, but not a “major hit,” needs will similarly be addressed at the deadline. I’m not saying we’re going to the Finals again, but I don’t get Leaf fans saying they’re better this year.
I maintain my prediction that Florida will top their division, given their depth at forward positions. Despite the defense suffering from the departures of OEL and Montour, their collective defensive play remains strong. My top three teams are Florida, Boston, and Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad