Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I agree with Detroit fans that Moritz Seider is a better player than the numbers show, and also agree with them that Lucas Raymond doesn't get enough respect. I think each is very good already and talented enough to take another step.

The thing is, even if they turn into Pastrnak and Hedman, I'm not sure how much of a difference that is going to make. Detroit is often compared to Buffalo and Ottawa, but when I look at the Wings depth chart, I don't see a bunch of young talent ready to make a leap. I see two good young players on a veteran team that kinda played to its potential last year. And I don't really see many areas of their roster where they will be better.

I know the fans are looking to Talbot to bolster them between the pipes and Edvinsson to boost the backline. I think Talbot is fine at best, and there aren't many rookie defensive defencemen who are difference-makers. They've got a fine stable of youngsters but how many are ready to make an impact this year?

The flip side of this is that I don't think the team got worse either and it missed the dance by just a point last year. I don't see Detroit making any kind of dramatic leap, but it's a veteran squad that conceivably could find the extra couple wins needed to squeeze in.

Just a guess, but I think next 1-2 years will have like 3-5 rookies hit the roster. Most of the first round picks are on the team of Stevie's first 3 year's. But in 1-2 year's the developmental picks will start to be in the age range Steve added lightning prospects in Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad