The Sun: Atlantic Division Preview

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This is the lowest I've been on the team in the Matthews era yet.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Leafs come fourth in the Atlantic. Injuries on defense and goaltending will be the difference. The team will take another step backwards and miss the playoffs as a result.

A time limit cannot be attached to how long this team will remain swirling the bowl.

They are not one year behind schedule. Not even two or three years behind. They are INDEFINITELY behind schedule.

The flies will be hovering for the foreseeable future so long as Shanahan remains in charge.

Mark it on your calendars todays date. September 14, 2024 and the Leafs are still a steaming hot pile of stink. May as well write that every day continuing several years from now too.

Uncurling this pyramid sized cone shaped structure of shit Shanahan's built isn't gonna happen overnight.
Your commitment to the schtick is admirable. Not really based on reality, but admirable.

Reactions: bax

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Leafs come fourth in the Atlantic. Injuries on defense and goaltending will be the difference. The team will take another step backwards and miss the playoffs as a result.

A time limit cannot be attached to how long this team will remain swirling the bowl.

They are not one year behind schedule. Not even two or three years behind. They are INDEFINITELY behind schedule.

The flies will be hovering for the foreseeable future so long as Shanahan remains in charge.

Mark it on your calendars todays date. September 14, 2024 and the Leafs are still a steaming hot pile of stink. May as well write that every day continuing several years from now too.

Uncurling this pyramid sized cone shaped structure of shit Shanahan's built isn't gonna happen overnight.
If they can stay healthy, they’ll once again easily make the playoffs, if they can’t stay healthy it’s going to bet ugly. Tre’s signings are high risk, high reward, they’re going to need lots of luck and as a sixty year Leaf fan I can tell you luck has been in short supply……..

Your commitment to the schtick is admirable. Not really based on reality, but admirable.
“Always look in the bright side of life, da dum da dum da dum………”

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240914_085826_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240914_085826_Brave.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
They won the Canadian division then proceeded to choke in their usual spectacular fashion in the playoffs.
To my mind that was the only real choke in this era. They pissed away a 3-1 stranglehold to a clearly inferior team. MM looked like he was going to cry on the ice at one point. That one left a mark.

Losing to the Bruins or TB in tight 7 game series are losses not chokes.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To my mind that was the only real choke in this era. They pissed away a 3-1 stranglehold to a clearly inferior team. MM looked like he was going to cry on the ice at one point. That one left a mark.

Losing to the Bruins or TB in tight 7 game series are losses not chokes.

It was also by far the easiest path to the cup finals they would have had via the 2nd and 3rd round matchups as well. That series was an extraordinarily heartbreaking outcome in many ways.

Reactions: Enga Olly

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't find that even remotely surprising.

Who cares? Winning the division isn't the goal.
Boston played all out to win the East, it backfired. First in the East rarely does well. I think they finish 4th and that's fine. Just have everyone healthy and fresh round one. There is no easy path out of the East next year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

I get your point but they have a chance to win 2 rounds this year. Making the semis is progress and they may have close to 20 million to work with if Marner etc walk.

I have never seen a team find so many ways to lose in gm 7.
It was also by far the easiest path to the cup finals they would have had via the 2nd and 3rd round matchups as well. That series was an extraordinarily heartbreaking outcome in many ways.

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo
Leafs need to win the division…simple as that. It’s a step they need to take. It’s sad AF that they have only ONE……ONE….division title since 1967.

ONE!

I know it doesn’t guarantee a trip to the final, but like I said it’s a step they need to take.

Win the division, win the East, reach the final…..win the………..I won’t jinx it.

Might not happen this year, but this is the way I see it unfolding….or shall I say….this is the way I envisioned in back in 2017 after the loss to Washington.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs need to win the division…simple as that. It’s a step they need to take. It’s sad AF that they have only ONE……ONE….division title since 1967.

ONE!

I know it doesn’t guarantee a trip to the final, but like I said it’s a step they need to take.

Win the division, win the East, reach the final…..win the………..I won’t jinx it.

Might not happen this year, but this is the way I see it unfolding….or shall I say….this is the way I envisioned in back in 2017 after the loss to Washington.
If things go right there is no reason why they can't win the division this year.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I think if the Leafs get out to a fast start - they could do it and win the Atlantic.

However, I envision some early struggles with playing Berube style hockey. My hope is that they learn along the way - and are playing at a higher level come playoff time.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're in the mix to win the division, but I think Boston or Florida are way more odds-on favourites for it. I've also been expecting a Tampa resurgence for the last little while. They've got Vasi and the bones of those cup winning teams still in place, even if the depth is a shadow of what it once was. Guentzel will fit them like a glove, that's a dangerous, dangerous team.

Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit are all in the "believe it when I see it" category. Montreal is going to be bad again, so they'll play like demons whenever we face them.

I think we come third again. Our main risks are health, goaltending, and how Marner performs in his contract year. I've been predicting (wrongly) for a while now that the core sees the writing on the wall that it just doesn't work and an early slide extends into a playoff miss, but I think Berube dramatically lowers that risk this year (plus the sort of shame this implosion requires would have long since been met, it's clear our guys don't feel shame lol). I'm expecting another relatively boring 105 point season where we know by January that we're locked into a playoff spot. New season, same as the old season.

Our main optimism is in Berube, goaltending, Knies, and the defensive signings. In particular, the combination of Berube and Captain Matthews might give the boys a the right mix of accountability and leadership to tighten up. Bad games always happen, but this core has always suffered from lazy games and those really should not be happening.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think if the Leafs get out to a fast start - they could do it and win the Atlantic.

However, I envision some early struggles with playing Berube style hockey. My hope is that they learn along the way - and are playing at a higher level come playoff time.

It's very early so I'm sure we'll get a better picture by November but so far it's more or less the same level of hockey. I don't forsee a major shift in play style, at least in my opinion. Whether he can get more from the group in consistency and compete is the biggest factor.

The forecheck/cycling will need a lot of time to rectify. It's been a mess so far. Throwing pucks around in the offensive zone without purpose and completely omitting plays from the point. I dunno how many times they make a play to the point, only for the defenseman to throw it back in the corner and then losing the puck. It was a major issue last year, particularly in the last quarter + playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're in the mix to win the division, but I think Boston or Florida are way more odds-on favourites for it. I've also been expecting a Tampa resurgence for the last little while. They've got Vasi and the bones of those cup winning teams still in place, even if the depth is a shadow of what it once was. Guentzel will fit them like a glove, that's a dangerous, dangerous team.

Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit are all in the "believe it when I see it" category. Montreal is going to be bad again, so they'll play like demons whenever we face them.

I think we come third again. Our main risks are health, goaltending, and how Marner performs in his contract year. I've been predicting (wrongly) for a while now that the core sees the writing on the wall that it just doesn't work and an early slide extends into a playoff miss, but I think Berube dramatically lowers that risk this year (plus the sort of shame this implosion requires would have long since been met, it's clear our guys don't feel shame lol). I'm expecting another relatively boring 105 point season where we know by January that we're locked into a playoff spot. New season, same as the old season.

Our main optimism is in Berube, goaltending, Knies, and the defensive signings. In particular, the combination of Berube and Captain Matthews might give the boys a the right mix of accountability and leadership to tighten up. Bad games always happen, but this core has always suffered from lazy games and those really should not be happening.

I suspect the Bruins playing games with their goaltending is going to keep them out of the top few spots,.until they get that stabilized

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
but for the record, most teams win the cup without beating the best.
Well no, because they won the cup. I'm sure you have a whole pile of "expected " and "should have" stats but the result the Cup winner made the playoffs and did not lose a round.

That makes them the best team for that season

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I suspect the Bruins playing games with their goaltending is going to keep them out of the top few spots,.until they get that stabilized
The fall of the Bruins is the ultimate, “I’ll believe it when I see it”. They’re always strong, they’ll pull Hugh McLue von Perriwinkle out of the Tier 6 Danish league and he’ll put up .924 in 35 games or something.

• Haha
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad