ATD 2011 Draft Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I paid a steep price to get this pick, but for a number of reasons, I had to do it, not the least of which is that this is the lowest this guy has fallen in the past 5 or 6 ATDs that I checked.

Ladies and gentlemen, I will start my team off with a guy who even the great Eddie Shore feared, Earl Seibert!

Is there a reason that he's still available? He's gone mid-40s to early 50s in all the drafts that I have checked. Either way, I'm excited about profiling him! PM'ing next.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I paid a steep price to get this pick, but for a number of reasons, I had to do it, not the least of which is that this is the lowest this guy has fallen in the past 5 or 6 ATDs that I checked.

Ladies and gentlemen, I will start my team off with a guy who even the great Eddie Shore feared, Earl Seibert!

Is there a reason that he's still available? He's gone mid-40s to early 50s in all the drafts that I have checked. Either way, I'm excited about profiling him! PM'ing next.

I considered him at 56, but I think Cleghorn just fits the bill way too well. Nice pick though jarek, he should've gone before a few picked IMO.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Seibert is one of the best picks of the draft so far IMO. He's been the BPA for a while IMO, and despite the fact that he's a defenseman, we almost had to take him to pair with Chelios because it was just too much value to pass up. Luckily, that means the guy we want didn't get taken, so the Tidewater Sharks are pleased to select:

P196601S.jpg

C Max Bentley

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
It's comforting to know that if I really wanted Seibert, I HAD to make this trade, and honestly, I'm glad I got him. This gives me a ton of options going forward.

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
I had Seibert last draft and was suprised he fell this low as well. I would have taken him without hesitation had he fallen to 67. Clean, physical, blocks shots. Great underrated player. He played through the forward pass rule, which shows his versatility and how he was able to adapt to the new game.

A lot of his 2nd ASTs were to Clapper and some of the other converted Defensemen, but that seems to be a symptom of the day he played in. Was he not blacklisted by the NHL for so long following the Morenz incident I feel he'd be ranked slightly higher. He's definitely a rock and a #1 defenseman in the ATD context.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I had Seibert last draft and was suprised he fell this low as well. I would have taken him without hesitation had he fallen to 67. Clean, physical, blocks shots. Great underrated player. He played through the forward pass rule, which shows his versatility and how he was able to adapt to the new game.

A lot of his 2nd ASTs were to Clapper and some of the other converted Defensemen, but that seems to be a symptom of the day he played in. Was he not blacklisted by the NHL for so long following the Morenz incident I feel he'd be ranked slightly higher. He's definitely a rock and a #1 defenseman in the ATD context.
can you say more about that? i have never heard of it.

jarek may also want to look into the all star voting to see if seibert was hurt in the split voting for RD and LD. seibert played RD, and shore usually took 1st RD.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
can you say more about that? i have never heard of it.

jarek may also want to look into the all star voting to see if seibert was hurt in the split voting for RD and LD. seibert played RD, and shore usually took 1st RD.

I'll look into it. On another note, one thing I never realized is that Seibert is a RHS. Score!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Man, I was counting the remaining guys I viewed as strong #1 defensemen, and then counting the teams ahead of me who I thought might take a D, and I was getting worried for a while there. But everything worked itself out in the end. If Seibert had dropped, I would have considered him for sure, but I like the offensive edge this player has and it's nice to have the decision made for me.

For the second draft in a row, Inglewood is pleased to select a big, tough defender who can do it all:

Bill Gadsby

one_gadsby01.jpg

An 7-time Allstar, Gadsby earned his 3 first-team selections the hard way due to his prime overlapping almost perfectly with the prime years of Red Kelly and Doug Harvey. Three of his second-team allstar selections came behind that legendary duo. In a different era, it's not hard to imagine Bill Gadsby earning more than 3 first-team selections.

Gadsby led all defensemen in scoring 3 times, and finished second to Kelly or Harvey on another 5 occasions.

In total, his scoring amongst defensemen looks as such: 1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,4,4,6,7,7. He also placed 9th in total league scoring in 1956, and came 3rd, 3rd, and 7th in assists. He was the first defenseman in NHL history to record 500 points.

On top of his elite offensive resume, Gadsby was a strong defensive player who played an extremely physical game. His willingness to sacrifice his body in the line of duty earned him a reported 600 stitches in his face over the course of his 20 year NHL career.

Sadly, Gadsby had the supreme misfortune of playing his first 15 seasons in Chicago and New York, where he never had a prayer of winning the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I see a lot of similarities between Earl Seibert, Scott Stevens, and Tim Horton, so it was definitely quite a bit of a steal to (trade with the team on the clock to) get him.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
From what I read, Seibert went into self-imposed exile from hockey after a falling-out with
Eddie Shorein Springfield. Apparently he never forgave himself for the Morenz hit, when someone asked him if he played with Morenz he would say bitterly "I killed him." I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason he wanted nothing to do with hockey.

I wonder how that affected howhe was remembered, especially compared to Clapper who was always around the game.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Eddie Shore (suspended 16 games for nearly killing a guy) still earned a spot on the 2nd all-star team, narrowly beating Earl Seibert. Both players had 10 first-place votes and 8 second-place votes. Shore was given the spot on the second team because of the breakdown of left/right defense positions.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Man, I was counting the remaining guys I viewed as strong #1 defensemen, and then counting the teams ahead of me who I thought might take a D, and I was getting worried for a while there. But everything worked itself out in the end. If Seibert had dropped, I would have considered him for sure, but I like the offensive edge this player has and it's nice to have the decision made for me.

For the second draft in a row, Inglewood is pleased to select a big, tough defender who can do it all:

Bill Gadsby

one_gadsby01.jpg

An 7-time Allstar, Gadsby earned his 3 first-team selections the hard way due to his prime overlapping almost perfectly with the prime years of Red Kelly and Doug Harvey. Three of his second-team allstar selections came behind that legendary duo. In a different era, it's not hard to imagine Bill Gadsby earning more than 3 first-team selections.

Gadsby led all defensemen in scoring 3 times, and finished second to Kelly or Harvey on another 5 occasions.

In total, his scoring amongst defensemen looks as such: 1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,4,4,6,7,7. He also placed 9th in total league scoring in 1956, and came 3rd, 3rd, and 7th in assists. He was the first defenseman in NHL history to record 500 points.

On top of his elite offensive resume, Gadsby was a strong defensive player who played an extremely physical game. His willingness to sacrifice his body in the line of duty earned him a reported 600 stitches in his face over the course of his 20 year NHL career.

Sadly, Gadsby had the supreme misfortune of playing his first 15 seasons in Chicago and New York, where he never had a prayer of winning the Stanley Cup.

I've gained a big appreciation of him after I had him in the last LC ATD. I thought he stacked up suprisingly well to the guys people consider undoubtedly ahead of him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I've gained a big appreciation of him after I had him in the last LC ATD. I thought he stacked up suprisingly well to the guys people consider undoubtedly ahead of him.

Gadsby was the top defenseman left on my list after Seibert went, but I don't know that he was particularly better than a couple of guys who are left.

I'm still not convinced that his defensive game was anything special, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad