Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like Othmann but be careful. He was not very effective at ES all year for Hartford and over-relies on his shot from the dots. He's definitely physical, battles, and is a pest/will fight for teammates, but you will probably be disappointed if you want an out of the box top 6 player.

he needs to learn how to get inside for his chances and play a more effective cycle game.

I can see him having a similar impact as Vatrano, perhaps. A more physical version but with worse skating.

Vatrano, at age 30, is only finally looking like an actual Top 6 player (and really on an awful team - so who knows if that translates?).

I can see a similar career ark for Othmann. Potentially valuable player, but you're definitely right with the bold. Could not have said that better myself.

I consider him a pretty mid prospect but I do see a NHLer, there.

meh, i wouldn't say that. his shot is legitimately very good and unlike someone like Mika, he shoots a lot at ES. those kind of shots are good for creating rebound chances and broken plays. if I had to paint with a broad brush, that's where quite a few of his assists come from.
Also agreed. He has a great shot. He has to learn how to use it (again, much like Vatrano, hah).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We shouldnt rush Othmann. We learned that lesson with the rebuild prospects. Its a negative EV move to rely on a rookie who doesnt look ready to change inherent issues with the team. Let him captain Hartford and marinate another year.

Agree except he's not going to be the Pack's captain next year. They'll give that to someone with more AHL experience.

I expect that Brennan will be a pretty decent player. His high ceiling is second line wing but I think more likely he'll be a 3rd liner for us. I'll also say Cuylle very possibly could turn out a more important player for us. His size and strength and his play away from the puck kind of point to that happening. His first pro season in Hartford compared to Othmann's IMO was somewhat better.

Reactions: McRanger92

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We shouldnt rush Othmann. We learned that lesson with the rebuild prospects. Its a negative EV move to rely on a rookie who doesnt look ready to change inherent issues with the team. Let him captain Hartford and marinate another year.
I agree about not rushing players for development's sake.

But we also are on a little bit of a clock for this window. If playing Othmann boosts our chances of a cup at the cost of some of his AHL development, that's a conversation you still need to have.

Reactions: Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I agree about not rushing players for development's sake.

But we also are on a little bit of a clock for this window. If playing Othmann boosts our chances of a cup at the cost of some of his AHL development, that's a conversation you still need to have.

I think he helps the current roster win a Cup more as a trade asset than on the ice. He's not a finished product 5v5, we need strong 5v5 players. I just dont see him being meaningfully impactful this year. Maybe toward the end of the season. I wouldnt bank on it.

Reactions: RagFinMet

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Hear me out. What if we just said screw it and changed up our developmental process and pasted him to Kreider and Zibs RW and left him there no matter what. See what happens.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You might want to elaborate on that statement. Pretty sure I saw him play 3 games in the NHL this past season.

Not really sure what you gained from that. He did nothing and showed he was nowhere near ready for NHL action.

So, frankly, nobody knows if he can play in the NHL right now. He certainly didn't prove he could during his first stint.

For the record, I see a solid middle-6 prospect in him. Nothing special, but should be a NHLer. But he sure isn't there yet.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Not really sure what you gained from that. He did nothing and showed he was nowhere near ready for NHL action.

So, frankly, nobody knows if he can play in the NHL right now. He certainly didn't prove he could during his first stint.

For the record, I see a solid middle-6 prospect in him. Nothing special, but should be a NHLer. But he sure isn't there yet.
He literally played in the NHL. I know for a fact he can play in the NHL simply because he did. Can you elaborate on what standard you are imposing here? Play at an all-star level? 15 minutes a night standard? 8 min a night? What are specific milestones you are looking for for Othmann to pass these invisible goals? That's all I mean by my statement.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
This….
And if the guy can actually hit the net, most postseason goals are scored off the havoc….. reg season ones too.

with a great offseason training package, who knows. Kid will certainly be in the mix to make the team to start next year.
It will be a good barometer for him and how hard he should work if they decide he goes back to the A for another 1/2 or full season.

IMO, Cuylle would thrive on a line with a player like that….
He has no problem sweeping up the garbage around the net.
Kreider too for that matter
Think Cuylle-Trocheck-Othmann would be a really fun third line to try next year and a pain to go against.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Think Cuylle-Trocheck-Othmann would be a really fun third line to try next year and a pain to go against.
Who would be 1C then? Because Mika is clearly our 2C at all his point.
I agree it would be fun though watch though.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
He literally played in the NHL. I know for a fact he can play in the NHL simply because he did. Can you elaborate on what standard you are imposing here? Play at an all-star level? 15 minutes a night standard? 8 min a night? What are specific milestones you are looking for for Othmann to pass these invisible goals? That's all I mean by my statement.
He literally cracked Mount Rushmore in his first week in the lig.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Who would be 1C then? Because Mika is clearly our 2C at all his point.
I agree it would be fun though watch though.
I would try Mika there first to see if it can ignite him at 5 on 5. Panarin and Lafrenierre were great with whoever they played with last year, first Chytil then arguably the best line in the league with Trocheck. Would also be a good excuse to finally break up Mika and Kreider at 5 on 5.

If that doesn’t work, then to your point Mika is definitely at a different point of his career as a 2c or even 3c, and his contract will be a major problem at 8.5m for 6 more years. The team may need to explore bigger changes to find another top center beyond Trocheck. That could be internally Chytil with significant growth or potentially even Lafrenierre who may be able to move to center as he matures. If not, this team is probably in trouble the next couple years and looking at a big package to try to bring someone in via trade or hope to get lucky with a center in free agency once Panarin and Troubas contracts are off the books.

Would first try Mika though and hope for a bounce back. Start with a top-9 fairly similar to this year and look to improve 5 on 5 play by upgrading the defense.

Panarin-Mika-Laf
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko (or trade)
Cullye-Trocheck-Othmann

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think Laf could play C but the Rongos are the least creative and forward thinking org in the NHL so it will never happen
How many other organizations have taken a player who has played wing his entire life and turned him into a productive center?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
How many other organizations have taken a player who has played wing his entire life and turned him into a productive center?
According to the interwebs, Claude Giroux (RW), Mark Messier (LW), Henrik Zetterberg (LW), Sebastian Aho (LW), David Backes (RW). There are a few less notable players but it does seem to happen.

Reactions: deathb4disco

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
According to the interwebs, Claude Giroux (RW), Mark Messier (LW), Henrik Zetterberg (LW), Sebastian Aho (LW), David Backes (RW). There are a few less notable players but it does seem to happen.
Kevin Hayes played wing in college and was in the NHL as a center. It can be done.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I just saw a reel come up in my feed where Emily Kaplan was saying that the Rangers were in heavy on Guentzel, but the Pens wanted a 1st, KK and Perrault. Drury walked because of Gabe. Othmann waa offered by Drury in a package as well.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Dylan McClrath played a handfull of games a decade ago.
Just saying.
see the following in response to Hunter Gathers
It's pointless to discuss if the measuring stick is arbitrary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad