Proposal: Askarov To Montreal For Owen Beck and MTL 2025 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
We've heard the same thing just couple weeks ago with Laine requesting a trade. Look where it ended...

End of the day, GM will bot pay a premium assets for a young goalie that has not proven anything yet. 2nd + a c prospect ish maybe?
yeah how we value players doesnt mean thats how it will go in real life, not all GMs are smart though.

Yet this is what you should expect to get otherwise Askarov would have been traded already!
trades dont just happen overnight. they can take time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh yeah?

If he's that good why does Nash wants to trade him then?

I mean Saros is ok, but he's almost 30 and Askarov was drafted to replace him.. So what's the problem?

And why no team acquired him, he's allegedly been on the market for a year?

His stats in the AHL doesn't suggest he's that exceptional and AFAIC, if he was such a wonder, Nash would keep him/ teams would align to acquire him...

Nope, goalies are voodos and the Habs have both depth and quality in terms of prospects at that position. So Askarov isn't a need for the organization.

Well said. I can see the Habs having the discussion but no way we are going to get aggressive in Askarov trade talks. I'm sure we are very content with Monty/Primeau/Fowler.

Honestly, I think the rumors were true last draft (2023) where the Preds were trying to move Askarov for improvements on D or F. It's been over a year since we heard that news and no trade yet. I think there is a trade value difference from where the Preds have it vs what others are willing to offer. 3 NHL games is just not enough.

So, I can see this lingering on a bit more. Preds need to showcase Askarov in net in NHL games. Why the hell did the preds re sign Wedgewood? This makes no sense at all.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Agreed, dont see a scenario where montreal moves the 2025 pick or 2026 for that matter without lottery protection.

Lol you wouldnt do a 2nd and Beck for Askarov? While the first proposal is obviously a no go this one is more lopsided. You do that in a second.

No I wouldn't, personally. Is that the most popular opinion? No. But in my mind he's trending towards bust/backup/1B territory a lot more than he is trending towards elite starter. If he comes out this year, stops the childish whining, goes to the AHL and posts a .925-.935, I'll change my mind but so far he hasn't proven he's elite let alone he deserves a backup spot with his performances.

Reactions: viceroy

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Many people in this thread should really not form strong opinions on the quality of goalie prospects. Askarov is the real deal. Better or worse than Fowler? You really can't say right now. Fowler still has much more development to tackle before one can state a case for either.

You can't just look at AHL numbers and say "pfft, not impressive". There's a reason why Askarov has been atop of the NHL goalie prospect rankings year in and year out. Same with Wallstedt and Cossa who have similar AHL stats.

What you CAN argue is value, by all means do that, but good luck for finding comparisons to base anything off of, because top goalie prospects rarely get traded.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No I wouldn't, personally. Is that the most popular opinion? No. But in my mind he's trending towards bust/backup/1B territory a lot more than he is trending towards elite starter. If he comes out this year, stops the childish whining, goes to the AHL and posts a .925-.935, I'll change my mind but so far he hasn't proven he's elite let alone he deserves a backup spot with his performances.
I do not have access to advance stats for goalies in the AHL, but there are better stats to evaluate goalies than just sv% now. I think he still projects as a NHL goalie at least. For me, I think it has more to do with timing. We just carried Primeau for a full year as the 3rd goalie and he finished strong. I don't think it would make sense to just lose him now without knowing if he can be a steady NHL goalie. In a vacuum an early 2nd + Beck VS Askarov is an easy trade to make.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Oh yeah?

If he's that good why does Nash wants to trade him then?
They...don't? It is rumored he was available and offered on a few instances as a piece to acquire a high-level prospect/young player in a position of greater need, but that's different than just trying to shop him in general.

Preds would prefer he continue developing and then challenge and overtake Saros.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anyone consider Saros in this? He may not like someone breathing down his neck and sees Askorov as a competitor. Yes, he has that contract to sleep on but that doesn'tean he wants some kid rear ending him to get him out of the way.

Not everything is what we think it is.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Anyone consider Saros in this? He may not like someone breathing down his neck and sees Askorov as a competitor. Yes, he has that contract to sleep on but that doesn'tean he wants some kid rear ending him to get him out of the way.

Not everything is what we think it is.
If that was the case then he shouldn't have signed an 8-year contract with an organization that clearly intended to keep that competition breathing down his neck.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Habs pov

You hang up
1000008620.gif

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Generational refers to talents like Crosby / Ovechkin and McDavid. Even before their drafts they were considered generational talents.

Askarov was never in the ballpark of that. Like not even close dude.
on the devils board askarov was discussed as a possible pick before the draft. looking back the few supporter he had at 7oa weren't more off than the management who picked holtz.

so askarov had clearly a very good rep pre draft, which was as close as any goalie came to a generational talent since carey price. calling askarov as a borderline generational talent is imo fair. you can still argue that you wouldn't invest such a high pick in any goalie prospect, as the development path of goalies is longer and has more variance than other positions.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I see no reason for any team to give a 1st+ for Askarov. Nashville's leverage disappeared when they chose not to meaningfully let him play and then blocked him at the NHL level by committing to Scott Wedgewood of all people. End of the day, if Nashville wanted to do the Corey Schneider deal they should have let Askarov play some games because we still don't know what he is at the NHL level unlike Schneider at the time.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Askarov is not a fit for Montreal. We have good goalie prospects led by Fowler.

Also Monty and and Primeau both have positive goals saved above expected over the last 2 years (Monty +15, Primeau +2), which isn’t stellar but above average. As long as they do the job you keep them until Fowler is ready.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
on the devils board askarov was discussed as a possible pick before the draft. looking back the few supporter he had at 7oa weren't more off than the management who picked holtz.

so askarov had clearly a very good rep pre draft, which was as close as any goalie came to a generational talent since carey price. calling askarov as a borderline generational talent is imo fair. you can still argue that you wouldn't invest such a high pick in any goalie prospect, as the development path of goalies is longer and has more variance than other positions.
I hear what you are saying however, Askarov was drafted in 2020 and we're heading into the 24/25 season. Logically a borderline generational talent would've forced his way onto the Preds roster but that hasn't happened. For whatever reason, the Preds have mismanaged the development of this player and they will pay for it via the return they receive when he eventually is traded.

Fair or not, the Preds have submarined this guys career to date and my 2 cents say his return will be much less than what's being discussed in this thread.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Askarov is probably the closest you’re going to get to potential “generational” goaltending prospect to be honest.

Askarov is not even the bona fide best young goaltender right now so generational is a pretty big hyperbole.

I don't think the difference between Askarov and Fowler warrant the Habs spending prime assets to acquire Askarov.

Reactions: viceroy and beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would not do, give up Beck and a 1st for a goalie who might be a little more NHL ready than the Habs goalie prospects but that is about it.

Askarov is not even the bona fide best young goaltender right now so generational is a pretty big hyperbole.

I don't think the difference between Askarov and Fowler warrant the Habs spending prime assets to acquire Askarov.
Exactly

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Askarov is not a fit for Montreal. We have good goalie prospects led by Fowler.

Also Monty and and Primeau both have positive goals saved above expected over the last 2 years (Monty +15, Primeau +2), which isn’t stellar but above average. As long as they do the job you keep them until Fowler is ready.
Fowler won't make the club for another 3-4 years, and probably won't be the goalie we need him to be to contend for 1-3 years after that. Watch some of Fowler's interviews during the rookie camp, he knows he's still a long way until he's our #1.

And I don't like the comments about Monte and Primeau being average or mid range goalies, to me, they're easily bottom third in the league.

If we acquire Askarov I can see him outplaying our current tandem and be our #1 as soon as next year (25-26). Then when he's in his prime we have Fowler coming up and challenging him.

Canucks are looking for a temporary goalie while Demko is injured so we can flip Monte or Primeau there.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Habs GM is good. He’d never be foolish enough to put an unprotected 1st on the table.

Maybe if the pick was top 10 protected or became two 2nds… but no way should he put either the 2025 or 2026 1st on the table without top 10 protection on either.

Reactions: junyab

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Owen Beck just may be the most overrated prospect in the Canadiens system. He was barely over a point per game in his first season after his DY. You know who had more points than Beck in their 19 y/o season? Here’s some players in the OHL and their point per game in their age 19 season since 2019-20:

Rory Kerins: 1.76
David Goyette: 1.72
Luke Evangelista: 1.79
Ty Voit: 1.57
Dalyn Wakely: 1.58
Amadeus Lombardi: 1.52
Logan Morrison: 1.67
Sasha Pastujov: 1.63
Pavel Gogolev: 1.52
Matvei Petrov: 1.43
Martin Chromiak: 1.43
Akil Thomas: 1.71

Now tell me if one of those players could get you Askarov. Only probably Evangelist could land a player like that. Also using AHL save percentage is stupid because we have seen players that dominate the AHL and struggle in the NHL and vice versa. To add on, we’ve seen Dustin Wolf dominate the AHL and in his 17 games last season he had the 6th worst GSAAV among players with a min of 17 gp.

It also doesn’t make much sense from the Canadiens perspective.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Owen Beck just may be the most overrated prospect in the Canadiens system. He was barely over a point per game in his first season after his DY. You know who had more points than Beck in their 19 y/o season? Here’s some players in the OHL and their point per game in their age 19 season since 2019-20:

Now tell me if one of those players could get you Askarov. Only probably Evangelist could land a player like that. Also using AHL save percentage is stupid because we have seen players that dominate the AHL and struggle in the NHL and vice versa. To add on, we’ve seen Dustin Wolf dominate the AHL and in his 17 games last season he had the 6th worst GSAAV among players with a min of 17 gp.

The hype around Beck from Habs' fans is due to his 2-way game, no one is expecting him to be a huge point producer in the NHL so bringing up PPG totals in the OHL isn't very relevant.

Most fans are expecting him to be a 3rd line C for the Habs who can put up 30-40 points, while taking on tough matchups, killing penalties and winning key faceoffs.

The reason the Habs would be reluctant to move him isn't because he's considered a top prospect in the league, but because our depth at C isn't great and we don't really have any similar prospects coming up in the near future who can take on a high amount of defensive responsibilities. With Dvorak/Jake Evans UFAs after this year, odds are he'll be the Habs #3 C in 25-26.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

None of those players are as NHL ready as Beck who fills a critical need for the Habs (since Danault left). Habs goaltending is not an issue and the future has already been determined with Fowler.

The proposed trade is laughable particularly because Askarov's value has sunk since he demanded a trade and may sit out if not traded. Goalies don't return much in trades these days.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The hype around Beck from Habs' fans is due to his 2-way game, no one is expecting him to be a huge point producer in the NHL so bringing up PPG totals in the OHL isn't very relevant.

Most fans are expecting him to be a 3rd line C for the Habs who can put up 30-40 points, while taking on tough matchups, killing penalties and winning key faceoffs.

The reason the Habs would be reluctant to move him isn't because he's considered a top prospect in the league, but because our depth at C isn't great and we don't really have any similar prospects coming up in the near future who can take on a high amount of defensive responsibilities. With Dvorak/Jake Evans UFAs after this year, odds are he'll be the Habs #3 C in 25-26.
To me and i bet to Hughes, Beck is much more valuable because he takes his 200 ft game very seriously AND has a tough, nasty side to him. His more valuable as a 20-30 hard core defensive center then a 30-30 winger.

How valuable was Danault to us?

We also have Hage and Kapenan but neither has shown Becks aggressivness...yet. On paper Hage/Kap my even have more all around talent but Beck will play with blood on his sweater.

Beside the three diaper rash defenseman we are breaking in this season, I'm looking forward to see what Beck does in the AHL and NHL.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad