Proposal: Askarov To Montreal For Owen Beck and MTL 2025 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lol, no way

1- Since we're going to suck again this year, the 2025 1st is off the table

2- We already have Fowler coming Up

3- We don't know yet what we have with Beck, and I don't think the Habs should keep him
Habs have the FLA 1st via Cal, so that's an option. Askarov is 3 years ahead development wise from Fowler. Fowler is going to be realistically 3 more years away. So, adding Askarov does make sense to close that timeline. Can't expect a rookie to backstop a young club trying to get back into the PO. Have to give the kid a year or 2 to get their feet wet at the NHL level which they could do now with Askarov.

Not sure what makes sense for the 2 clubs, but I don't think the 2025 Habs own first will be on the table. The Fla one can be.

Reactions: junyab

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
No need for Askarov imo. Between Montembeault and Primeau, we have an okay tandem this year and for the next few. Fowler or some of the other guys may come in there eventually.

Truth is, we don't need an elite goalie like we have had for years. You need to pay those guys a lot of money and that is just not always the best investment. Have a good team and they will make your goalies look good.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs have the FLA 1st via Cal, so that's an option. Askarov is 3 years ahead development wise from Fowler. Fowler is going to be realistically 3 more years away. So, adding Askarov does make sense to close that timeline. Can't expect a rookie to backstop a young club trying to get back into the PO. Have to give the kid a year or 2 to get their feet wet at the NHL level which they could do now with Askarov.

Not sure what makes sense for the 2 clubs, but I don't think the 2025 Habs own first will be on the table. The Fla one can be.

The Habs 2025 1st is 100% untouchable

Florida's could be Traded tho, if needed

I don't think that the Habs should go for Askarov however

Reactions: viceroy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

We already have a starter for the next 2-5 years (Montembeault) and an upcoming goalie logjam, potentially as early as next year.

Fowler and Miller should sign at the end of this year, meaning we would have 5 goalies (6 if we somehow keep Hughes).

That's not counting Volokhin who should come sometime in the next 3 years.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But trading for Askarov is not securing the #1 goalie position, it's just throwing another dart at the board. If we had a poor goalie prospect pool, it could be different, but we have one of the best goalie pool in the NHL.

And that dart cost you a good C prospect (in which we are shallower than goalies) and a first round pick. It also forces a move as we would have 3 goalies in the NHL.

Habs are better off with Beck+1st than with Askarov. We're already heading into a goalie logjam, maybe as early as next year.

Yes, we can disagree about what is better.

We're in a period where there will be log jams at all positions shortly, because so much youth is coming at every position. The focus needs to be on quality over quantity.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes, we can disagree about what is better.

We're in a period where there will be log jams at all positions shortly, because so much youth is coming at every position. The focus needs to be on quality over quantity.

We have both at the goalie position. I'd be floored if there isn't one starter in our U25 goalies.

Trading for Askarov basically means crossing out Primeau and Dobes which is not something I think we should do yet.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Askarov shouldn't be getting a 1st unless its a really late 1st and a wiener prospect or middle 6 roster player.

If you want a good blue chip prospect or high pick, well, its highly unlikely. Historically, the returns for unproven goalies isn't what folks think it is. Young proven Superstar goalies barely return high picks and blue chip prospects.

Askarov is going to get a teams 4th-5th prospect and a 2nd

• Haha
Reactions: beardawg

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
MTL don't need Askarov.

They already have 2 youngish potent goaltenders in the NHL, Dobes has shown an uptrend progression in Laval and we have 3 solid goalie prospects in Fowler, Miller and Volokhin in the system.

There's plenty of teams in dire need of good goaltending in the NHL, but MTL isn't one of them.

Reactions: viceroy

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Edmonton should get him for sure: they are average between the pipes at best and they don't seems to have huge depth as far as prospects goes

Edmonton should go with a 2nd + or something, I think they could get it done

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
MTL don't need Askarov.

They already have 2 youngish potent goaltenders in the NHL, Dobes has shown an uptrend progression in Laval and we have 3 solid goalie prospects in Fowler, Miller and Volokhin in the system.

There's plenty of teams in dire need of good goaltending in the NHL, but MTL isn't one of them.
I'd trade any Habs goaltending prospect not called Fowler for Askarov... Realistically Primeau would have to be traded in order to give him NHL time right away, which I am okay with.

Saying you don't need Askarov because you have Volokhin, Dobes or Quentin Miller is a bit ridiculous.

Askarov is a premium prospect in the league at the position. If you can acquire him for cheap, it is a smart gamble.

Not saying I'd trade an early 1st for him or anything, just that he would be a solid add to the goaltending depth in the system.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This proposal was entertaining just for the whole "Uno Reverse card" thing.

oh-you-meme-but-as-womble-version-v0-hbdxy5vvcsj81.jpg

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Putting aside the absurdity of the OP's proposal, i still think Askarov's value is somewhere between a mid to late 1st round pick. Somewher in the #18 to 20 range.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Asksrov does not worth the Habs 1st round pick and we have to add Owen Beck on top of the pick. This is absurd.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Depending on the due diligence on Askarov, he's definitely the type of player that would be needed to fill out Montreals positional needs.

That being said, that first could be a lottery pick and Beck doesn't play a position where there's a logjam like Harris did. This is the kind of value you usually see for established goaltenders. So, it's a no.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We have both at the goalie position. I'd be floored if there isn't one starter in our U25 goalies.

Trading for Askarov basically means crossing out Primeau and Dobes which is not something I think we should do yet.
Askarov would cross out Primeau. But Dobes wouldn't be crossed out until he's waiver eligible, at which point either he or Primeau would be crossed out anyways.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Askarov would cross out Primeau. But Dobes wouldn't be crossed out until he's waiver eligible, at which point either he or Primeau would be crossed out anyways.

I'm sure Dobes would be very happy to know he has not a single chance of playing NHL games barring injuries (if they don't call up Hughes/other AHL G instead) for the next 3 years because of Askarov guaranteed spot and Montembeault being there. For sure wouldn't make him hesitate to re-sign with the Habs after this year.

Would for sure also convince Fowler to sign after this year to get the same treatment instead of doing his 4 NCAA years and getting an actual chance of getting money by then.

Or Volokhin to come over to NA before Montembeault is gone instead of getting a multi-year KHL offers.

Let's alienate our 3 top G prospects for a potential slight upgrade on our G pool.

We drafted 4 goalies in 2 years exactly to avoid paying for goalie prospects.

Reactions: viceroy and Eegs

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If I was habs GM the highest I’d offer is Primeau plus the higher of the Habs 2nd rounders (there own or Columbus’). Maybe even go as high as the Fla 1st they will probably get, provided it’s not in the top 20.

I know we have Fowler, but no harm in strengthening your odds of having a franchise type goalie. I think the Preds would aim higher though, but they won’t get anything close to the OP IMO. Goalies are Voodoo.
If there’s anything that Flames pick going to Montreal needs, it’s more conditions. They should trade it again for that reason alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad