Proposal: Askarov To Montreal For Owen Beck and MTL 2025 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I love how you say for a goalie like they are irrelevant when in fact they might be the single most important piece.

I have no horse in this but as a fan of team with who places a high priority on goaltending, I find it so strange that a fan who literally is in the same division as 4 teams who have been burned numerous times because of goaltending.

Nevermind the fact you cheer for a team that in 2020 of r whatever it was sucked and I mean sucked but thanks to Price made it all the way to the finals.

A lot of hab fans seem to think the team is close to competing, with what you guys have on the big club your not close and goalie prospects take 5+ years. A first top 10 protected and Beck is not an overpayment for a goalie nearly ready with such a high ceiling.
Regardless of their importance, goalies just don't hold that type of trade value -- especially unproven goalie prospects.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Thats a ton for him. IMO he still needs at least 1/2 a season in the AHL and the other half as a back up before I would give him the starters job.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm pretty skeptical Montreal would be interested in Askarov, but they definitely wouldn't move an almost definite good lottery pick + for him. Nor would they set up a situation where they either can't get him to report to Laval, need to carry 3 goalies for a 2nd straight season in the NHL, or need to trade one of Montembault/Primeau from a position of weakness.

If Montreal's trading a lottery pick for a goalie, they'd want a young goalie whose proven something at the NHL level.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not the biggest fan of Harris but i think he has a good skillset and he is a pretty decent prospect. An uprotected 1st from Montreal as well.... this seems pretty slanted in Nashville’s favor.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Have you looked at our goalie pipeline?

Askarov would be a luxury. We are not to the point of paying significant assets for luxuries.
There's no guarantee any of our goalies pan out. I'd welcome Askarov.

I would be interested in giving up Beck and the Florida 1st. But when I say interested, I mean I'd defer to the scouts. I only know so much about Askarov.

Is Beck not a luxury at this point?

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Laine Dach Demidov
Roy Hage Newhook
Xhekaj Kapanen Heineman
Evans, Mesar, Farrell, Tuch, Erikson, Koivu, etc...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs end up in trade talks for Askarov, we would either have to flip one of Monty or Primeau in the Askarov package or make another trade. No way we add Askarov and just put Primeau on waivers. Doubt Hughes wants to ride with 3 goalies two years in a row and have that affect his 23 man roster.

Habs will not trade our own 1st (not happening). Maybe the Flames/Panthers. Both a 1st and Beck? No chance. Habs will not make a desperation trade for a goalie who has played 92 AHL games and 3 NHL games. Even with Askarov's potential.

Pieces like Beck or Mailloux could be available but we are not trading two gems for 1. We like both Beck and Mailloux very much as we also like the progression from Monty, Primeau, Fowler.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I would be interested in giving up Beck and the Florida 1st. But when I say interested, I mean I'd defer to the scouts. I only know so much about Askarov.

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Laine Dach Demidov
Roy Hage Newhook
Xhekaj Kapanen Heineman

Askarov doesn't have the value some fans say he does on HF boards. He's got good value but he is not some sure shot NHL starter. We are talking about 92 AHL games and 3 NHL games.

Askarov has similar value to Mailloux. That would be a close 1/1 flip. Both have had solid AHL time so far and have a fair chance to reach potential.

Doubt Hughes offers 2 pieces for 1. If it's 2 pieces, the 2nd piece is probably a B prospect or 2nd rounder.

Reactions: CTHabsfan and pth2

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Askarov doesn't have the value some fans say he does on HF boards. He's got good value but he is not some sure shot NHL starter. We are talking about 92 AHL games and 3 NHL games.

Askarov has similar value to Mailloux. That would be a close 1/1 flip. Both have had solid AHL time so far and have a fair chance to reach potential.

Doubt Hughes offers 2 pieces for 1. If it's 2 pieces, the 2nd piece is probably a B prospect or 2nd rounder.

I'd prefer to keep Mailloux than the Florida 1st and Beck.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm pretty skeptical Montreal would be interested in Askarov, but they definitely wouldn't move an almost definite good lottery pick + for him. Nor would they set up a situation where they either can't get him to report to Laval, need to carry 3 goalies for a 2nd straight season in the NHL, or need to trade one of Montembault/Primeau from a position of weakness.

If Montreal's trading a lottery pick for a goalie, they'd want a young goalie whose proven something at the NHL level.

Bold part is key. Most see Askarov's potential but most also understand that that is based on potential/hype. I see a trend of fans asking for too much with Askarov. Habs are interested but not desperate.

92 AHL games and 3 NHL games is just not enough to get a proper evaluation on Askarov's potential. I'm surprised he didn't get more NHL games last year. If I was him, I'd be annoyed as well. If Nashville wants the best trade value return, they should have played him in more NHL games.

If trade talks get serious, Habs would have to sort out what we are doing with one of Monty or Primeau. Either Primeau is included in the Askarov package or we flip Primeau in another trade. Why would we do this? Primeau showed a lot of potential last season.

I'd prefer to keep Mailloux than the Florida 1st and Beck.

I prefer to keep all 3.

If you trade for Askarov with with the Flames/Panthers 1st and Beck, what is your plan with Primeau? Just put him on waivers? Trade him for whatever we can get?

What happens if Primeau is just as good as Askarov or both goalies end up being fringe starters? Most will laugh and say Askarov is way better but nobody knows this. Primeau had a great season last year IMO. That deserves a bit more respect

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
At the very least, I'd want conditions on that 1st pick for this to be considerable

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd do a swap with Beck but no 1st.

Yup, if we are offering anything, it's going to be one good piece for Askarov. Not two good pieces.

And the other layer to it is Primeau. He's not getting enough respect. 2.99GAA / 910Sv% / 8-9-4 record was solid on a team that was bottom 5 in D. There was a few games in that mix where Primeau performed very well. I know teams like Tampa was waiting for us to put him on waivers last year when we had 3 goalies

Habs are not going to blindly trade for Askarov and just put Primeau on waivers. If Primeau is not in the package because the Preds want pieces at F or D, Habs would have to work a side trade with Primeau as well. Could get complicated

Reactions: HabzSauce

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Agreed. Askarov is far from having the kind of value that other goalies who fetched 1st rounders did at the time of the trade.
Mailloux, or a 2nd and a lesser prospect, would be fair offers today, IMO

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Laine Dach Demidov
Roy Hage Newhook
Xhekaj Kapanen Heineman

There is no certainty Askarov pans out either. I'd welcome him, but I wouldn't pay prime assets for him.

Beck is not currently a luxury. We have no long term 3C and he is the front runner for that spot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Askarov is far from having the kind of value that other goalies who fetched 1st rounders did at the time of the trade.
Mailloux, or a 2nd and a lesser prospect, would be fair offers today, IMO

Bold statement but for all we know today, both Primeau and Askarov could end up similar. Yes, Primeau is older but he had a very solid season last year splitting time with 2 other goalies.

I'm sure the Habs are happy with Monty/Primeau/Flower in the system. Adding Askarov would mean Primeau has to be traded. No way we just put Primeau on waivers or trade him for whatever. I can see the Habs interested in Askarov but I bet you we like Primeau's progression as well.

I know Tampa was waiting for Primeau to be put on waivers last year (rumor I herd which made sense). Maybe we can get a 2nd rounder and B prospect for Primeau and then use that 2nd rounder with one of Beck or Mailloux to acquire Askarov. Something like that.

Those 1st plus solid prospect trade talks is not something I see the Habs doing. It's going to deep. Habs will not offer two good pieces for one good piece. Not happening.

Reactions: pth2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Highly doubt habs own 1st is in play, let alone for Askarov. I just don''t see it.
Beck is being developed to replace Evans and Dvorak who probably won't be resigned.
I like Askarov but not at that price

I do agree. I don't think we are moving Beck. Maybe we consider one of Kapanen or Beck but we have plans for Beck with Laval to help the center depth as well. Development with our AHL team is important to us and Beck on that roster is part of it.

Hate to trade Mailloux but he is the one who is similar to Askarov. Both have had solid AHL time and have shown a good development track.

Not sure I would but it does make me think:
* Mailloux and Primeau
for
* Askarov and a 3rd rounder

Askarov would have slightly higher value than Mailloux but Primeau has more value than a 3rd rounder as a NHL ready goalie.

Depth at RD after Mailloux is gone:
* Reinbacher
* Guhle if he stays RD
* Barron
* Konyushkov

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So what do you think is this a doable trade for both teams?
Nope.

Askarov doesn't have close to that value.

Even removing the 1st, doubt the Habs would be interested

Habs have a solid group of U25 goalies & goalie prospects.

Beck is an important C prospect who fits the Habs plans, if they trade him I suspect they'll value him higher than this proposal suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad