Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
At the end of a day, a goalie is a player.

Its incredibly common for a player to want a shot by the time they are 22 if everyone is in agreement he is one of the best prospects at his position. Everyone drafted around him in his draft class has played 100-300 NHL games at this point and have fully paid off houses and Corvettes. His minors salary is $80000 a year and his old teammate Kuzmenko is probably going "lol, I make that much in 1 game"

He's been in the discussion for best goalie prospect for several years now.

"Hey Yaroslav! We think it would be in your best interest to stay in the minors so you can play way more games for less money! It will give you more playing time. Money corrupts young one. You don't want that money! oh you do want the money? Yeah i know we signed Wedgewood so the likelyhood of you getting any games is low, but we super really mean it that we will give you a chance to beat him for the backup spot. But since you are waiver exempt and he isn't, you will need to not let a single goal by you in camp or exhibition games ok?"
I guess he's ok taking $0 as his salary if he sits out, though. So he can't be TOO desperate for the money? :dunno:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It's crazy the amount of people in this thread who thinks he's ready or that he'd be better off playing 5-10 NHL games over the majority of AHL starts right now.
It’s silly how much stock fans put in his draft status and him being Russian.

He’s been solid on a really good team, but nothing special. There’s a reason he wasn’t their #1 in the playoffs. He still gives up bad goals at the worst time, and doesn’t make big saves when his team really needs it. That’s what separates good from great goalies.

Cossa outplayed him in that playoff series, and had similar stats this past season, yet nobody is saying Cossa is ready yet. They both need to be playing a lot of games still. That’s not gonna happen in Nashville, and good bet it won’t happen anywhere else in the NHL. He’d have to be way better than he’s been.

Can he be a backup somewhere? Probably, but can’t see anyone guaranteeing that. People saying San Jose possibly? He’s be ruined by Xmas with that D-Core.

It’ll be interesting to see if he’s willing to go to the AHL with another team, cause the best guarantee he’s gonna get, is an opportunity to earn an NHL spot.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
It’s absolutely a bluff Russian players have in their back pocket, but both players and their agents know, if they follow through with the threat, it can… and probably will backfire.

So call it a bluff or threat or negotiation tactic. Whatever the case, it’s not in his best interest to return to Russia, if he truly wants to play in the NHL.

He can destroy several years of NHL earning potential, if he goes back to the KHL and doesn’t play great. Then what?

If he goes back and is only average, the Preds will just let him marinate over there. That can turn into 2, 3, 4 years real quick. Then he returns at 25-26 under his same contract.

He’d be stupid to pull the KHL card at 22, on the verge of playing in the NHL… yet he just did it anyway. Teams won’t like that. It’s not gonna make them say, “hey let’s go get that character.”

Look, it would be one thing if he was lighting up the AHL. He wasn’t. His stats are fine, but there’s a reason he wasn’t Milwaukee’s #1 in the playoffs. Cossa outplayed him in that series. Nobody’s demanding Cossa play in the NHL this year.

We all get he wants his chance and thinks he’s ready, but it’s clear in this thread, how many fans haven’t been watching him play. They just know he was a high pick with a junior pedigree and his stats are solid. They don’t understand he’s played on a really good team. They don’t understand he’s not consistently making game saving or game changing saves. He’s been solid, but nothing special. He also has this problem, giving up the worst goals at the worst times. The exact reason he didn’t play all the series deciding games in the playoffs. One of the great differences between an average and great goalie, is making those timely saves. He’s not shown that yet. Exactly why he’s still been in the AHL.

He’s still probably the top goalie prospect in the league though. He’s close. That said, this threat can backfire and cost him several NHL earning years.

This threat is not gonna make Nashville hand him a spot, nor is it going to make other teams more interested in him, than they were yesterday. Probably less, because they don’t want the headache either.

Like I said. Nashville should just let it play out. If he earns the backup role, great. If not, and he fails to report to the AHL, and returns to Russia, let him go back and wish him well.

Worst case for Nashville is, he shows back up next summer, or in a couple of years, and he’s still playing under is current contract.

They’re in no hurry with him. They have a franchise goaltender. They hold all the cards. If teams are lowballing them, no big deal. Just let it play out. They’re under no obligation to trade him. Let him marinate.

If he goes home and lights up the KHL, then they’ll get nice value for him. Otherwise, just let him continue to develop.
Great post. The way I look at it, he's 22 years old, and we all know how naive we were at 22, and the top hockey pundits are calling me one of the best goalie prospects in the world. I've been toiling on the buses in the AHL for 2 years making $80,000 and eating soggy subs. All of last year I'm thinking next year I'm backing up Saros but at least I'm on the private Nashville plane, making $800,000. Then Nashville signs Wedgewood for 2 years !?!?! My old 22 naive self is pissed! Now I have an option to go play in Russia for a few million a year tax free, and eventually come back to the NHL a la Radulov. Remembering when we were 22 year old naive kids, I see his point.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Wedgewood is signed for $1.5M cap hit per season. How does Nashville gain cap space if you can only bury ~$1M?

Seems like it's a $500K or so (RIP CapFriendly otherwise I'd have the exact rate) cap hit for Nashville to bury him in the minors.
PuckPedia This site is pretty comprehensive with their details.
Canes need to be all over this. Only PK signed after this year. Him and Askarov would be a solid 1-2 for years to come.
Agreed. Although Carolina's NHL duo is even more set than Nashville's. I could see it being another "I won't report to AHL situation". Unless GMTulsky will be able to analytics up a trade for Frederik Andersen.

First off. I do not blame Askarov in wanting out of Nashville with how this off-season has played out. But... You are on your ELC signed with Nashville through this season. You report to camp and if deemed AHL bound, then you go. This isn't this NFL.
Ask for a trade, no problem. I usually don't have an issue with a player asking. It is their life after all. The not reporting to AHL ultimatum though is not a good look and I cannot see that sitting too well with GMTrotz. Or optically with GMs around the league. Their timing could have been better as well. What is it three weeks before training camp?
Not a huge fan of how Askarov/Millstein are handling this, but ultimately this is a problem Nashville created. I did not understand the pick at the time. And most, if not all of the moves regarding the goalie position has not exactly been signs of encouragement for him I'll bet.

I see this as a best resolved sooner rather than later situation.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
PuckPedia This site is pretty comprehensive with their details.

Agreed. Although Carolina's NHL duo is even more set than Nashville's. I could see it being another "I won't report to AHL situation". Unless GMTulsky will be able to analytics up a trade for Frederik Andersen.

First off. I do not blame Askarov in wanting out of Nashville with how this off-season has played out. But... You are on your ELC signed with Nashville through this season. You report to camp and if deemed AHL bound, then you go. This isn't this NFL.
Ask for a trade, no problem. I usually don't have an issue with a player asking. It is their life after all. The not reporting to AHL ultimatum though is not a good look and I cannot see that sitting too well with GMTrotz. Or optically with GMs around the league. Their timing could have been better as well. What is it three weeks before training camp?
Not a huge fan of how Askarov/Millstein are handling this, but ultimately this is a problem Nashville created. I did not understand the pick at the time. And most, if not all of the moves regarding the goalie position has not exactly been signs of encouragement for him I'll bet.

I see this as a best resolved sooner rather than later situation.
Idk I don't mind this, he isn't closing the door on Nashville this way like a full on trade request often signals

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think Cossa is on the same level as Askarov. My personal opinion is Stevie would offer up Cossa + for him.
Their play last season would say otherwise. Yzerman traded up specifically to draft Cossa. I think he's fine with him and certainly wouldn't add anything to him to make a sideways at best trade for a guy he doesn't have room for on the NHL roster anyway.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can he be a backup somewhere? Probably, but can’t see anyone guaranteeing that. People saying San Jose possibly? He’s be ruined by Xmas with that D-Core.
You make s good point on d-core.

The Habs future lays on 3 players that are still in diapers as far as their NHL careers. While i have enormous optimism for them, they are miles from complete development.

Is it going to be...a team that loses together develops character? Because reality dictates that every golie and defense mistake likely results in a goal. Winning will be tough.

If we had Jesus Price, he could pull miracles and it gave the kids confidence. Askarov wont.

I'm not sure the Habs are the best destination. Sure, i love his potential but what will his confidence level be with .850 save percentage?

Lots of questions....

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

That's not really the issue though. With SJ, they literally don't have any goalies under contract for 25-26. All will either be UFA or RFA. I bet with SJ, he'd play with the Cuda, especially if the Sharks already gave him an extension on his contract and told him that, essentially, he will be #1 going forward starting in 25-26.

I can also see a situation where, if he's with the Sharks, he's a backup this season in the NHL and they move on from one of Blackwood or Vanecek, again, with the idea that he's the true #1 from 25-26 on.

I don't see this as a Rutger situation where he feels he should be an NHL starter now, rather I see this as he wants to be in an organization where he can actually become the #1 and not blocked by someone with an 8 year deal like Saros.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean, I think Philly and Vegas should be the ones going all in on this if anything.

I think Nashville should've packaged Askarov, Glass, Tomasino, and 1st 2025 for a top end player that'd help their team.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I mean, I think Philly and Vegas should be the ones going all in on this if anything.

I think Nashville should've packaged Askarov, Glass, Tomasino, and 1st 2025 for a top end player that'd help their team.
Agree. Before teams made goalie signings, they shoulda did their due diligence. (Maybe they did, and the market wasn’t there)

I’d imagine a fair share of teams would offer up a solid piece, at one point.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Can also take a look at other Russian goalies around the league... Two in New York, two in Florida, one in Vegas, one in Colorado (maybe not so attractive as the others but a contending team)... Yeah.
And more and more young goalies around the league getting chances, like Levi.

He can't, he still is under contract so until he plays this last year he is stuck.
That's not how it works, lol. There's no transfer agreement. He's not a hostage. He can just go back to his home country and play hockey. Won't change him being under Preds control if he wants to play in NA, but he's not a hostage here.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You make s good point on d-core.

The Habs future lays on 3 players that are still in diapers as far as their NHL careers. While i have enormous optimism for them, they are miles from complete development.

Is it going to be...a team that loses together develops character? Because reality dictates that every golie and defense mistake likely results in a goal. Winning will be tough.

If we had Jesus Price, he could pull miracles and it gave the kids confidence. Askarov wont.

I'm not sure the Habs are the best destination. Sure, i love his potential but what will his confidence level be with .850 save percentage?

Lots of questions....
Could use Price as his $10.5MM personal coach

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I have to believe they talked with Nashville re: both Askarov and Saros before trading for Markstrom, and most likely the prices were too high.

There is no way NJ could get to August before the year started with just Jake Allen and Nico Daws as their two NHL goalies, just waiting for some goalie to magically become available.
What I was implying is that if they did wait, instead of blowing their load for a 34 year old goaltender, they would have looked like geniuses.

But they jumped the gun and made a weird move that a championship contending team would make. Not a team filled with youth. Askarov/Saros would have fit the movement of their team far more than Markstrom, but hey, if you're happy with mediocrity, do you.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Great post. The way I look at it, he's 22 years old, and we all know how naive we were at 22, and the top hockey pundits are calling me one of the best goalie prospects in the world. I've been toiling on the buses in the AHL for 2 years making $80,000 and eating soggy subs. All of last year I'm thinking next year I'm backing up Saros but at least I'm on the private Nashville plane, making $800,000. Then Nashville signs Wedgewood for 2 years !?!?! My old 22 naive self is pissed! Now I have an option to go play in Russia for a few million a year tax free, and eventually come back to the NHL a la Radulov. Remembering when we were 22 year old naive kids, I see his point.
For what it's worth, he didn't quite make just $80k. He also had $92,500 signing bonus each year. And his NHL call ups netted him around $20-30k each year. So he totalled around $200k each season.

He wouldn't make a few million a year in Russia. He's an unproven prospect, not the biggest megastar in the league. He came over to the AHL because he couldn't get playing time in Russia! He can't even play there until his NHL contract expires anyway, so that's not an option. He just wants a trade to a different NHL organization. He is probably aware that an NHL job isn't guaranteed anywhere right now, he has to know that. But maybe he thinks his longer term pathway might be clearer somewhere else. It's a mistake on his part, because he had a great opportunity to develop into a better goalie with Korn and the Preds than he will likely have going somewhere else. He should have seized that opportunity and then saved this stunt for next off-season when his ELC was up and he could actually use the Russia bluff, or look for an offer sheet, that's when he would have had some actual leverage.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It’s silly how much stock fans put in his draft status and him being Russian.

He’s been solid on a really good team, but nothing special. There’s a reason he wasn’t their #1 in the playoffs. He still gives up bad goals at the worst time, and doesn’t make big saves when his team really needs it. That’s what separates good from great goalies.

Cossa outplayed him in that playoff series, and had similar stats this past season, yet nobody is saying Cossa is ready yet. They both need to be playing a lot of games still. That’s not gonna happen in Nashville, and good bet it won’t happen anywhere else in the NHL. He’d have to be way better than he’s been.

It’ll be interesting to see if he’s willing to go to the AHL with another team, cause the best guarantee he’s gonna get, is an opportunity to earn an NHL spot.
Shh, proper understanding of goalie development isn't welcome in this thread. He's the bright shiny toy, he should be in the NHL yesterday damnit

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Preds choice of Vanacek (decent backup caliber goaltender) or Blackwood (younger and cheaper with higher upside)
Bordeleau (NHL ready former 2nd rounder middle 6 winger with ties in the Nashville org)
Bystedt (recent first round pick)

for Askarov

is it enough? if not, what should be added? Our 1st rounders for the next 2 seasons are off the table. And don't even utter the word 'Macklin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad