Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Preds would be dumb not to consider trading him. Stamkos, Josi, ROR, Nyquist — they won’t be here forever. Now is the time to push your chips in. Add a Top 4 D and they will be in business.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Askarov needs another season in the AHL.

I would like to see him have a winning playoff record instead of going 2-3, then getting injured.

The Admirals made it to the WCF the last 2 seasons. Askarov had very good AHL teams in front of him and was paired with good goalies each season. He needs a little improvement to move up to the NHL.

He has been compared to Jesper Wallstedt of the Iowa Wild. Askarov has won 5 of 7 head-to-head regular season match ups against Wallstedt, so Askarov is the better goalie. There are 2 or 3 other AHL goalies that he needs to surpass by working on his consistency.

I saw him play about 20 games last season, plus his home playoff games. He was very good by AHL standards. He just needs to work on not overplaying the puck and his positioning a little. He tends to give up a soft goal early, then he looks like Ken Dryden after that. He needs to be Dryden for 60 minutes, not 50 or 55.
Iowa Wild is putrid. Askarov winning 5 of 7 is more indicative of the team, then the player.

Askarov has .911 vs a .907 on his backup.

Wallstedt has a .910 vs a .881 on his backup(who's career AHL save percentage I'm 300 games was .908)

Sleeper Shark

Jun 28, 2018
Antarctica
Musty +Bystedt
If we were to look at it from a both teams are kind of pissed at the end of a trade perspective, i.e. something approaching fair value, I would say Musty for Askarov fits the bill.

But everything I'm seeing puts NSH wanting help with the roster soon. Musty seems a couple years out from full time NHLer by most accounts.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Preds would be dumb not to consider trading him. Stamkos, Josi, ROR, Nyquist — they won’t be here forever. Now is the time to push your chips in. Add a Top 4 D and they will be in business.
I don't recall seeing many, if any, proposals for Askarov that actually upgrade us in the now window, or couldn't be completed with other trade pieces we have. If such a deal pops up, it's obviously worth exploring, but otherwise there's just no urgency to deal him for the sake of dealing him.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Don't have room for his cap hit even if Trotz was willing to do it.
We'd take back salary of course. This is was discussed in previous pages, but no Preds fans wanted to move anyone. Or didn't see him as an upgrade, which he is.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm a bit surprised I don't see the Leafs need a goalie argument and push Marner for Askarov talk. Maybe Nashville ate too much cap to do it now. But it would fit both teams

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm a bit surprised I don't see the Leafs need a goalie argument and push Marner for Askarov talk. Maybe Nashville ate too much cap to do it now. But it would fit both teams
Nashville is definitely too tight on the Cap to be able to work anything like that. Where sometimes teams have bad(ish) contracts they wouldn't mind dumping, the Preds instead have dead Cap from the Duchene/Johansen/Turris purgings. So there just isn't any way for the Preds to balance that much Cap out.

The Preds already have to jettison one of Glass or Fabbro just to get back under the Cap. Jettisoning both only saves another $2.5M. And there simply isn't any other player they'd be looking to move out. Novak at a stretch for another $3.5M. So $6M is the absolute most the Preds could manage any way of taking on, but it would require the other team taking those guys back.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We'd take back salary of course. This is was discussed in previous pages, but no Preds fans wanted to move anyone. Or didn't see him as an upgrade, which he is.
It wasn't an appealing proposal. Overrated Matheson's value to us (even if he may be an upgrade), underrated how we perceived the "salary" pieces being sent along, and just isn't the type of upgrade that should require Askarov to make work.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
It wasn't an appealing proposal. Overrated Matheson's value to us (even if he may be an upgrade), underrated how we perceived the "salary" pieces being sent along, and just isn't the type of upgrade that should require Askarov to make work.
There was no complete offer proposed. If anyone included salary they would send back to us, I'd propose one. If Matheson is an upgrade and Fowler could replace your prospect goalie with another highly touted one, but with a better timeline to work with Saros' age and contract, I don't see the lack of appeal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I had a dream he ended up with the Caps as the future after Lindgren.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There was no complete offer proposed. If anyone included salary they would send back to us, I'd propose one. If Matheson is an upgrade and Fowler could replace your prospect goalie with another highly touted one, but with a better timeline to work with Saros' age and contract, I don't see the lack of appeal.
Preds have Josi/Skjei/Lauzon on the left side of the D. We could use an upgrade at RHD, but Fabbro and Carrier (with Schenn on the bottom pairing) are perfectly serviceable absent a young RHD that is a current upgrade being available. There is just insufficient interest for us in a 30 y/o offensive LHD with numbers bloated by heavy PP and overall usage and an inferior goalie prospect

Reactions: Armourboy

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t think so.

there were reports that last yeat the Preds were trying to get the 5th overal pick from the Habs and it was runored that Askarov was part of the offer.

I wouldn't call that shopping a player, but this is likely the cause of people think he was being shopped. But in reality there was jusy something Nashville wanted and were willing to include him if needed to get it done.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
there were reports that last yeat the Preds were trying to get the 5th overal pick from the Habs and it was runored that Askarov was part of the offer.

I wouldn't call that shopping a player, but this is likely the cause of people think he was being shopped. But in reality there was jusy something Nashville wanted and were willing to include him if needed to get it done.
Trotz was reported to have offered Askarov + our 1st to try to move into the top 5/#5 IF one of the 4 centers at the top of the draft were available. Obviously nobody took him up on the offer, but he was targeting a very specific asset with Askarov (a young top 6/first line center), which is a bit different from being shopped/openly available.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Agree completely. This will be Saros' team until 2033 - we will have plenty of time to find a replacement for him during that time.

With his moves in FA, Trotz essentially opened up a three-year Cup window for this team, during which you need to go pretty much all-in. Trading Askarov now for a similar type of player, who's not a goalie could help the team's chances significantly.

Trading him 3-4 years down the road (which you will still need to do as Saros have NMC and Askarov therefore cannot take the net from him) doesn't do anything as this team is most likely headed into a true rebuild then.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Agree completely. This will be Saros' team until 2033 - we will have plenty of time to find a replacement for him during that time.

With his moves in FA, Trotz essentially opened up a three-year Cup window for this team, during which you need to go pretty much all-in. Trading Askarov now for a similar type of player, who's not a goalie could help the team's chances significantly.

Trading him 3-4 years down the road (which you will still need to do as Saros have NMC and Askarov therefore cannot take the net from him) doesn't do anything as this team is most likely headed into a true rebuild then.
So for a top F or D prospect who is likewise 2-3 years from making any impact in the NHL. It's alright, but it comes back around to: who is that prospect?

I don't personally think it needs to be just a prospect, it could also be an established player. In fact, an established player who fits a need might be better for the short-term window mindset than another prospect at a different position. The problem then becomes the Cap. The Preds are Capped out atm. And all the teams in the NHL have already filled their major and minor league goalie slots and won't be clamoring to get Askarov just now. So... maybe we're talking more about a Trade Deadline type of move? Not necessarily for a pure rental player, but at least a player the Preds pick up for immediate help, once some Cap leeway/pro-rating is in place? :dunno:

Well, to me, it all still comes down to just evaluating the specifics. Sure, the Preds could trade Askarov. But "now"/"TDL"/"later" still comes down to all the usual questions about evaluating the net benefit to the Preds and the Cap feasibility, etc. And how Askarov performs.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
If I was Askarov id request a trade and not report to the A if told to

And thats not because hes too good for the A, maybe he needs more seasoning - its because Nashville is dicking around with his development now

Either move on from Yaroslav or lose value on him when he asks out

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

And thats not because hes too good for the A, maybe he needs more seasoning - its because Nashville is dicking around with his development now

:huh: Preds brought back Mitch Korn specifically to help with his development. And they want him to play 50-60 games and actually show he can hold down a #1 job in the AHL playoffs, as opposed to starting 15-20 games and sitting on the bench in Nashville. Which is better for his development again?

Reactions: Soundgarden

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The problem with Matheson for nashville (and most teams):

-He is awful on the PK
-He does not have a space on their PP, as they have 2 other dmen you'd rather have QBing the PP (Josi, Skjei)
-He is not a particularly effective player at tilting the ice 5v5. He'll give up more than he'll get you back.

Go find a contender in need of a PP QB dman. Although, not particularly convinced he's a particularly effective PP QB anyway. Montreal runs their entire PP through him yes, which is a lot of touches and so a lot of points, but at the same time MTLs PP over the last 2 years is 30th in Goals/60, and 31st in xGoals/60.

So how much do you want to pay for the engine of one of the least effective power plays in hockey?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

This is what’s gonna happen I think. Trade now or he gets mad

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

So maybe he needs more seasoning, but regardless he should refuse to report to the A, where he will get that seasoning, if he doesn’t get a spot where he’ll be sitting on the bench for 60+ games?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
:huh: Preds brought back Mitch Korn specifically to help with his development. And they want him to play 50-60 games and actually show he can hold down a #1 job in the AHL playoffs, as opposed to starting 15-20 games and sitting on the bench in Nashville. Which is better for his development again?
Why would he choose to lose out on multiple millions for the A when a team can have him start or backup half a schedule and work his way toward a real NHL deal?

He can as easily go to the KHL and make a ton more than he could spending time in Nashville's AHL team to never start for the Predators

So maybe he needs more seasoning, but regardless he should refuse to report to the A, where he will get that seasoning, if he doesn’t get a spot where he’ll be sitting on the bench for 60+ games?
Hes never starting in Nashville - why would he be amicable to a club that just said 'we dont need you' by signing their 29yo goalie to eight years?

This is what’s gonna happen I think. Trade now or he gets mad
Its only logical - plus he has the KHL in his back pocket. He needs to do whats right for him since the team clearly hasnt done that for Askarov

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
When you look at this topic in the main page it shows up as "Rumor - Asakarov's age"

Which always make me think that this thread is speculation that he has played with a false birth certificate.

Reactions: JPT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad