Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I find it highly disturbing how there are "fans" who are so determined to insist this is a good move. First you claimed if a good player doesn't like it. Oh well ship them off to Chicago or San Jose. You're literally ready to lose good players over a lemming gm. Someone who is arguably not even the best gm hire. This is no Connor McDavid of GMs high and clear the best option.

The whole situation indeed could have been avoided. This is a hockey town. This isn't Phoenix where fans don't even know the players let alone the gm. They've hired a guy that brings nothing to the table that another gm couldn't also provide. And at the same time they've made their players lives worse.

Connor is getting married in a few days and what's supposed to be a very happy day everyone is talking about this and if his new boss should even be on the team.

I'm not an easy option guy. I'm a common sense guy. I like common sense people who don't try to show they're the smartest guy in the room with unnecessary errors. You seem like the kind of guy who will look for any excuse to justify a move going so far as to insist good players can be "shipped away to Chicago". If you want to be an ideologue to the extent of making this team worse to prove a point congrats. You got your wish. You want players pissed off you want them to be shipped to Chicago. All to defend Stan Bowman.

I doubt a small group of fans whining about this hire on Reddit is going to ruin McDavid's wedding day haha.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Uh huh and literally your previous post is if any good player has an issue with this hire the hell with them. Fire them off to San Jose or Chicago.

Lovely. I mean this could have all been avoid with any other gm.

I bet Ekholm is going to love being asked while getting a head of lettuce at blush Lane "so like your gm covered up a rape how do you feel about that".

1500 messages and counting. Keep fighting the good fight and I'll see you at 2000.
If this happens, then you need to shop somewhere else. Let Mattias and family go about their private lives in private. Only jerks are going to accost a man out running errands, like this.

And the only way this gets to 2000 is if you keep stirring the pot. Go back to your bridge.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
You saw first hand Bowman's tenure as GM. Outside of the Beach situation what were his strengths and weaknesses?
Although I live in Chicago, I don't really follow the Hawks closer than any of the 30 other teams that aren't the Oilers

I know the guys I play beer league hockey with generally liked his work until the end, but one could argue that simply coincides with their core aging out of their Cup window.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I find it highly disturbing how there are "fans" who are so determined to insist this is a good move. First you claimed if a good player doesn't like it. Oh well ship them off to Chicago or San Jose. You're literally ready to lose good players over a lemming gm. Someone who is arguably not even the best gm hire. This is no Connor McDavid of GMs high and clear the best option.

The whole situation indeed could have been avoided. This is a hockey town. This isn't Phoenix where fans don't even know the players let alone the gm. They've hired a guy that brings nothing to the table that another gm couldn't also provide. And at the same time they've made their players lives worse.

Connor is getting married in a few days and what's supposed to be a very happy day everyone is talking about this and if his new boss should even be on the team.

I'm not an easy option guy. I'm a common sense guy. I like common sense people who don't try to show they're the smartest guy in the room with unnecessary errors. You seem like the kind of guy who will look for any excuse to justify a move going so far as to insist good players can be "shipped away to Chicago". If you want to be an ideologue to the extent of making this team worse to prove a point congrats. You got your wish. You want players pissed off you want them to be shipped to Chicago. All to defend Stan Bowman.

You basically just said that you see the world in back in white. You also implied that you don't like the grey area. Life's not that simple and straight forward. Suggesting other posters aren't fans because they have a difference on opinion is ridiculous.

I dont think anyone here is arguing the points you are trying to make about him being this great and talented GM that we just simply had to have. Rather, posters are trying to point out how mean, uneducated and blinded people are to hate on a guy instead of trying to give a guy a second chance.

You keep saying that players are going to leave or how hard their lives are going to be. Have you talked to the players? Last I saw they were all our golfing and having fun at the wedding. Don't disguise your own malicious hatred off while pretending it's to protect others.

I know it's hard for people to accept. I would like to know that if I ever made a mistake that I would be able to put the work in and make thanks right. It's easy to pile on Bowman but how about we actually try supporting him and see if he does a good job before jumping to conclusions?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I doubt a small group of fans whining about this hire on Reddit is going to ruin McDavid's wedding day haha.
I think you keep downplaying and underestimating how many fans are against this move.

I’ve seen polling across multiple social media platforms and it continues to indicate the majority of fans who actively follow the sport do not support this hire.

And make no mistake, the noise does get to the players. How could it not? If they don’t see it why would Jackson go private on Twitter?

Well, the Blackhawks did win like 50 games a season for 8 years after Tallon stepped down.

Pretty tough to do that if he’s as bad as some people say.
That’s not really an answer tbf

I think Bowman actually might be a good fit for the teams needs as GM, despite being a mediocre GM who did mediocre GM moves. Why? I don't think he's necessarily been chosen for his moves or architect the team - the current group of executives has that under lock. I think he's been chosen to do the day to day monotony of running the club that Jackson and the current group don't want to do.

Jackson's has said all along that the whole management process was a collaborative process under him. That off season we just had without an official gm is proof they're capable of making moves without Bowman.

We also know that Jackson doesn't want to be the GM because he doesn't want the job since being a GM is more than making trades and signing players. It's running the whole organization. It's organizing scouting departments, it's the rigmarole of scheduling, it's logistics, it's player development, it's training and conditioning, etc. It's a lot of the crap that Holland did that turned this organization around that doesn't show up on capgeek.

Stan Bowman has a lot of experience with all of that, and he was elite at all of that. Add to that - he has fire-forged new HR skills tie in - which is all the more helpful since we like to bring in players with checkered track records - And since we like bringing in players with problem track records, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a guy fully experienced and connected on how to handle their particular issues and make sure the instilled culture is set up to put out fires before they begin.

Fact of the matter is - as much as Bowman probably has the worst PR - I'd also bet if you were to get a third party organization like say RAINN to interview and rank all available candidates on their readiness / understanding / suitability to prevent something like the Beach situation this from happening again - I'd bet odds are pretty good Bowman is the top of the list. There's certain things you learn only from experience and certain mistakes you only really make once. Certainly none of the other candidates have this level of experience or learning.

My guess is, Bowman is a great fit because Jackson wanted more control, and due to the exact situation surrounding Bowman he's much more willing to accept his boss having a lot og say and pull on signings and trades compared to some of his peers that bring a comparative level of "other GM stuff."

Looking at it through that lense, I think it's potentially a very savvy move.
Isn’t any up-and-coming GM easy to control? I would argue Bowman is probably less of a “yes-man” than your typical candidate because he has way more experience. It’s easier to envision him butting heads with JJ than someone who owes their entire GM career to him.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Jackson going private the day before the announcement is more telling them people want to admit. He basically new the backlash and how unwelcome the move would be through out not just the city but the entire league and fan base

Doesn't make sense in any way shape or form.....

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think you keep downplaying and underestimating how many fans are against this move.

I’ve seen polling across multiple social media platforms and it continues to indicate the majority of fans who actively follow the sport do not support this hire.

And make no mistake, the noise does get to the players. How could it not? If they don’t see it why would Jackson go private on Twitter?
the average fan doesn't go to message boards, doesn't use twitter or posts on reddit...its a very small percentage

by October, with a signed Draisaitl, people will have moved on, the building will be sold out and fans will be complaining about line combinations

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jackson going private the day before the announcement is more telling them people want to admit. He basically new the backlash and how unwelcome the move would be through out not just the city but the entire league and fan base

Doesn't make sense in any way shape or form.....
Why is leaving social media open some kind of expectation? Do we expect him to spend hours responding to people spamming him with complaints? He showed accountability by taking questions from the media without restrictions. His answers there would be no different than what he would say on X hundreds of times to different people

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Isn’t any up-and-coming GM easy to control? I would argue Bowman is probably less of a “yes-man” than your typical candidate because he has way more experience. It’s easier to envision him butting heads with JJ than someone who owes their entire GM career to him.

Fans don't like a hire, I don't think that's a big surprise, many fans didn't like the Knoblaugh hire either. Now very different situations but players/execs don't really care what the "fan mood" is, especially in relation to an off-season wedding, lol.

It is selective outrage too, Chevyaldaov knew basically the same thing Bowman knew and he trusted the people above him (who should be in charge of a situation like this) to handle it too. Which isn't an outrageous thing to assume, HR matters like this are well beyond the responsibility of a GM or assistant. How much grief does Chevy get for being the Jets GM with respect to this situation? Very little.

There's one person for whom the vitriol should be reserved for and that's Aldridge.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If we win 3 cups and then suck for a few years? I'd love to emulate that.

Wouldn't you? Or would you still cry then, because you have no grasp on reality and how the salary cap works.
And if we don’t? Because nothing Bowman has done in the past 7 or 8 years has convinced me he’s a good GM.

Again this team actually had one of the best off seasons they’ve ever had and they didn’t even have a GM. But you’re happy because it upsets fans so I guess it all balances out.

Reactions: PBandJ

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah that's not quite how it works.
It actually is.

Read. The. Report.
The. Report. Was. Paid. For. By. The. Blackhawks.

It also says he knew. Period. If you know, you report it. Say none of this even happened- he’s still a horrible GM

the average fan doesn't go to message boards, doesn't use twitter or posts on reddit...its a very small percentage

by October, with a signed Draisaitl, people will have moved on, the building will be sold out and fans will be complaining about line combinations
What? Lol. You’re saying the average fan has no socials?

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Although I live in Chicago, I don't really follow the Hawks closer than any of the 30 other teams that aren't the Oilers

I know the guys I play beer league hockey with generally liked his work until the end, but one could argue that simply coincides with their core aging out of their Cup window.
Chicago beat writer was on Gregor’s show the day he was hired. You should give it a listen. He wasn’t a fan

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'm disappointed and disheartened, this organization always has something to prove and it's not by way of winning Stanley Cups. The Oilers are a public service announcement. Read the f***ing report fool I'm not doing your homework.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
200.webp

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
You basically just said that you see the world in back in white. You also implied that you don't like the grey area. Life's not that simple and straight forward. Suggesting other posters aren't fans because they have a difference on opinion is ridiculous.

I dont think anyone here is arguing the points you are trying to make about him being this great and talented GM that we just simply had to have. Rather, posters are trying to point out how mean, uneducated and blinded people are to hate on a guy instead of trying to give a guy a second chance.

You keep saying that players are going to leave or how hard their lives are going to be. Have you talked to the players? Last I saw they were all our golfing and having fun at the wedding. Don't disguise your own malicious hatred off while pretending it's to protect others.

I know it's hard for people to accept. I would like to know that if I ever made a mistake that I would be able to put the work in and make thanks right. It's easy to pile on Bowman but how about we actually try supporting him and see if he does a good job before jumping to conclusions?
I didn't say people are going to leave. I said what if someone has a problem with this? Why would you make this move when it moves the needle zero.

Im not hating on bowman at all I'm saying it's a very stupid move because it's not like he was peak scotty Bowman at all. This is a guy who's track record is questionable. Hasn't worked for 2 years and has a past where he was banned for 2 years.

This is the best option? This guy is so much better than the guys like hunter gilman botterill? Etc?

Just mind bogglingly unnecessary risk to add a guy who doesn't bring much. Why take the risk.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

That’s fair - maybe it won’t change anything in the grand scheme of things, but there’s definitely a lot of noise around it right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has reached McDavid and some of the other players.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

gifs_of_epic_fails_10.gif

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Took some time to really think about this hiring to really try and be objective about it. In terms of the hockey side of things I think you need to go way back to JJ being hired. All I heard was people complaining saying this is McDavid running the team and hiring people he knows, not much faith was put into JJ doing anything relevant at that point.

JJ hires Knob and most people are freaking out saying it's another McDavid hire and this rookie coach isn't going to do anything Woody couldn't do and Woody wasn't the problem. Knob helps turn our horrific start around from 31st in the league to fighting for top spot in our division. He was also really impressive in the playoffs, making decisions and moves that most coaches wouldn't do.

JJ also gets Coffey to join the coaching staff. There was some rumblings about this and I heard everything from Coffey doesn't know how to play defense, another old boys club move to he is just a figure head that just likes to party/drink it up. I myself was questioning this move and man did Coffey really turn our defense around. We had one of the most underrated defense and our stats were pretty nice. I was very happy to hear Coffey was going to be back this year.

So at this point everyone is pretty happy with the moves JJ has made even though at the time of the moves there was a lot of doubt. Then the offseason comes and JJ makes some incredible signings and actually makes the team better then they were going into the playoffs last season. At this point JJ is being praised and everyone is ready to hand him the keys to the city.

So then JJ goes and hires Bowman as the GM and many, many people freak out. I know there is more to this than the hockey side why people are upset but I will just stick to the hockey side of things. I will say on the surface looking at many of the moves Bowman has made he could be considered pretty average or slightly above average. A lot of people also bring up the state of the team when he left which is true. When I think about possible GM hires, Bowman is one of the few GM's in the league that actually GM'd a team that was a consistent playoff team with the threat to win and actually won multiple cups in the post lockout era. He did make some mistakes in the moves he made throughout that time to try and keep the Hawks a cup contender for as long as they were. Not many GM's have been in his position to see if they would make the same mistakes as he did. Part of being human is making and learning from your mistakes, so hopefully he can do that with the Oilers.

I think JJ is a very intelligent person and has a plan for this team. I would think in his discussion with Bowman not only would they have discussed the successes Bowman had with the Hawks but also his failures and what he would do differently and how he would apply that to the Oilers organization. JJ wouldn't hire anyone that didn't have the same vision for this team for years to come. So though I know many people are still not happy with this decision, I am going to put some faith in JJ as he has come out on top of so many of his moves even though they may not have been popular at the time.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I’m sure those polls aren’t full of fans that previously hated the Oilers and are just using the opportunity to pile on or people who aren’t big hockey fans but are just offended by the situation. I mean maybe this hire hurts the team but I doubt it, I think what’s going to happen is the Oilers are going to win a lot on the ice and I’ll say it right now, they’re going to have their most financially successful season in their history this season. That will be their penance for this hiring.

As for Bowman from a hockey stand point, I don’t love his later work in Chicago but I think his past track record will prove to be mostly irrelevant in the context of the current situation.

Jackson has said he’s sees himself as an active CEO so the bottom line is, with what you’ve seen from a hockey stand point so far do you trust Jackson’s decision making? And do you think as an active CEO and from what you’ve seen and heard from Jackson do you think he’s going to let Bowman unilaterally make moves without green lighting them?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It actually is.

The. Report. Was. Paid. For. By. The. Blackhawks.

It also says he knew. Period. If you know, you report it. Say none of this even happened- he’s still a horrible GM

What? Lol. You’re saying the average fan has no socials?

Once again - when the facts don’t align with what you want them to be (or just too lazy to read), it must be a conspiracy.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
[ISPOILER[/ISPOILER]

The read the report bros come to save the day... do your homework !

“Read the report bros”

I know, reading is tough and takes a little bit of time. The fact that reading something and learning things is comically being tailored to be an insult here tells us all we need to know.

The horror of people taking the time to educate themselves before barfing out nonsense and flying off the handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad