Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Or just play out his current contract now and a year from now sign an offer sheet that offers him the max allowed for 1 second round pick comp (currently $4,580,917). Many teams will be putting an offer sheet in front of him if it gets to that. Sharks would easily put 3 x $4,580,917 (or whatever that upper end for 2nd round comp is) in front of him next season.

Nashville will have a tough time matching that next offseason. It's too bad for Askarov that he isn't RFA now, Nashville definitely couldn't match any offer sheet today, even a no compensation offer sheet.
I mean, a team offer-sheeting a guy who never played in the NHL for $4.6M … like that’s gonna happen. We’ll take the 2nd rounder from any NHL GM dumb enough to do that. But of course none are that dumb, alas. :(

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Great, then the Leafs don't need Askarov then.

I think you need to severely adjust your expectations. When was the last time a goalie prospect returned the kind of value you were putting out there? Even solid top goalies don't hold that kind of value

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I mean, a team offer-sheeting a guy who never played in the NHL for $4.6M … like that’s gonna happen. We’ll take the 2nd rounder from any NHL GM dumb enough to do that. But of course none are that dumb, alas. :(

I think you underestimate what GMs would be willing to do to land an elite goaltending prospect. Guess we'll see if we get to Askarov hitting RFA. Grier would easily offer 3 x $4.5M and let a 2026 2nd go in offer sheet comp for Askarov.

Last edited:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
The Preds would trade him to the East if they can. That's if they trade him at all.

Askarov wants a team where he can play. Nashville made that hard by adding Wedgewood, and of course there isn't much a future path to be the #1 after they've invested in Saros (although interestingly he seems to lack a NMC)
Who? Saros? He has six years of a full NMC and I believe two years of a limited NMC.

Edit: ah I see this has already been mentioned.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Who is more NHL-ready - Askarov or Silovs?

Nucks are toying with the idea of Silovs as back up next year. Prospect swap?

With Demko’s health uncertainties, he’d probably play a lot of games here…

Don’t come at me saying the value isn’t the same. Despite draft pedigree, these are comparable players.
Silovs is more ready but that can change with a few starts as Askarov is viewed as more of a natural type of goaltender.

One thing I thought pretty odd in the AHL playoffs, was he wasn’t the obvious #1 with Milwaukee. He shared the net in the playoffs, and he didn’t outplay Cossa at all vs Grand Rapids.

Nobody on this site is an expert on young goalies. The best situation for him this coming season, is to share a net in the NHL. Whether that’s in Nashville, or anywhere else 30-35 starts. Then we’ll get a better idea of who he is. If a trade happens, that’s even the most we should expect. If a team gives up a top prospect, then we know what they think of him.

Nashville is probably better served holding onto him for at least half a season here. Should drive up his value.

Reactions: OrangePMD

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Silovs is more ready but that can change with a few starts as Askarov is viewed as more of a natural type of goaltender.

One thing I thought pretty odd in the AHL playoffs, was he wasn’t the obvious #1 with Milwaukee. He shared the net in the playoffs, and he didn’t outplay Cossa at all vs Grand Rapids.

Nobody on this site is an expert on young goalies. The best situation for him this coming season, is to share a net in the NHL. Whether that’s in Nashville, or anywhere else 30-35 starts. Then we’ll get a better idea of who he is. If a trade happens, that’s even the most we should expect. If a team gives up a top prospect, then we know what they think of him.

Nashville is probably better served holding onto him for at least half a season here. Should drive up his value.
He's not ready to get 30-35 starts this year in the NHL, he needs to start a majority of AHL games this year and work on his flaws.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Knowing the Kings...

1720475137497.jpeg

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
How many years should I wait? Or is your freshly-signed veteran starting goaltender as injury-plagued as ours?
I’m a red wings fan. The organization has about 17 goalies rn, so I’m not worried about the health of any of them. But yes Husso is pretty injury plagued

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I’m a red wings fan. The organization has about 17 goalies rn, so I’m not worried about the health of any of them. But yes Husso is pretty injury plagued
You're a Red Wings fan that is that sold on Askarov eh?
How do you find he compares to Cossa?

I personally believe Askarov is a better goaltending prospect than Silovs in terms of ceiling, that's why I want him in a trade - but they're in the same tier. Both 6'4+, dynamic, and bizarrely flexible.

Draft pedigree doesn't mean squat for goalies, I think most would agree. I'm not sure if you actually watched Canucks playoff hockey this year (dunno why you would?)... but you would have witnessed a very skilled young goaltender that will clearly have a long career in this league. His postseason stats don't jump off the page, but his poise was palpable.

I really do want to see Askarov succeed though. I'm a full-right tendy myself, so he's always been very intriguing prospect to me.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
For a goalie who lost starts for performance in the AHL what the hell is this lol.
If nothing else, perhaps it could at least be illustrative of why the Preds simply won't trade Askarov. They'll need an absurdly high return at this point. Which no team in the NHL will give up, given that Askarov simply hasn't performed to that level yet. So it's an impasse. Askarov will just have to continue to put in his work in the AHL, try to make the NHL, see if the valuation dynamic changes some time in the future. It probably won't, but if he wants to go somewhere else anytime soon, then he's just going to have to make it worthwhile for the Preds by becoming better.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Lol at the Preds fans ask. Can't wait to see the actual return and read the horror and shock. You'd think you were trading McDavid the way some of you are carrying on.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Lol at the Preds fans ask. Can't wait to see the actual return and read tje horror and shock. You'd think you were trading McDavid the way some of you are carrying on.
Some of the fans ask you can’t take seriously but trotz isn’t gonna give him away. He was our 11th pick and has developed nicely. Nashville doesn’t have to trade him for years. Askarov will start in the ahi but will get quite a few call ups during this season. I could see Columbus moving Johnson for Askarov and a small add. But we’ll just have to wait and see. I do know this trotz won’t give him away for cheap

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Goalies typically don't yield that much. Good potential but that is as far as it goes currently.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Lol at the Preds fans ask. Can't wait to see the actual return and read the horror and shock. You'd think you were trading McDavid the way some of you are carrying on.
There won't be any "actual return". Not in the next few years, at least. Call back when there is an Expansion Draft about to happen, if Askarov is in the NHL anyway, or if his next bridge contract is about to expire when he's 27. Then we can start talking for real about what kind of return he might bring. Until then, the ask will remain absurdly high, and Askarov simply won't be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad