Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen (Signed with Frolunda, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do you think he could be a center on a scoring line or does he need to be on the wing?

I haven't seen him long enough at C to truly make that call. He has an amazing shot when he decides to take it, which makes me think he could certainly be an effective wing........and a lot of what I've seen out of him screams "winger" to me.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Tage is apparently a center. So I will forever more hesitate when saying someone can't be a center.

member 334057

The more I see R2, the more I feel that he's a "scoring line or bust" guy in the NHL. I don't think he has it in him to be a consistent presence on a defensive or energy line.
I get the same feeling from him. Seems like the type that if he doesn't develop into a top 6 scorer he may not be a good fit in the bottom 6. His size really hurts his prospects in that regard, I don't think he has the strength to really battle for pucks consistently or the defensive ability. Reminds me a lot of Tim Kennedy.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
This was obvious for me from the start, when Ruotsalainen moved from Ilves to the Sabres.

He was always going to be a scoring line contribution and not a grinder or a plug (for lacking a better word). If you cant provide Arttu that spot, you are better to let him go elsewhere.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Maybe he can study Tyler Ennis and adjust his game, if he wants an NHL career. Trade him to Arizona for something.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The cynic in me thinks they sent R2 down so Krebs has a scoring winger.

Could be. It'll be interesting to see how they use him down there since Malone is getting a lot of time with Peterka and Quinn since both are not yet great in their own zone. It's a bit of a defensive mitigation, in the way Jankowski was handling that for a bit for Krebs.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Hoping he shows well in this call up.

Big shoes to fill if he's taking Thompson's place on the 70's line. And at the same time, Asplund and Olofsson aren't Hayden and Bjork, so the linemate deficit shouldn't be an issue.

I like R2 and hope he shows well on this call up. He's getting a real opportunity with his linemates. While I like him, I also think that his window to prove he belongs is slowly closing. I do hope he steps up.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
R2 should easily be able to play an Eakin type game. He has had massive success in Liiga. I think he's got an Asplund type upside, in the sense that it takes him a bit of time to get up to speed, but once he does, that he starts to slowly ramp up to being a solid bottom six competitor.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
R2 should easily be able to play an Eakin type game. He has had massive success in Liiga. I think he's got an Asplund type upside, in the sense that it takes him a bit of time to get up to speed, but once he does, that he starts to slowly ramp up to being a solid bottom six competitor.
Center is his natural position, however the Sabres now feel he projects to be a winger at the NHL level. Coach Appert did state that he wants him playing both so that he can compete for 12/13 forward positions, intead of just a few.

He struggled at wing in Rochester so the coach stated they moved him back to center to get him going.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005

R2 as a plug is a wasted asset and will eventually result in R2 returning to Europe.

Thats not the Sabres fault, but that is going to happen.

Reactions: Chainshot

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
10 goals, 10 assists (so far) in his last 13 games.
Is this a mirage? Should we be thinking more about him as a Sabre? Does he push for a roster spot next year? Who?

September is going to be kinda interesting.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's sad they only have one recall left.

What’s the logic on that rule anyways? I guess teams could gain an edge by constantly cycling out healthy scratches, but having lots of injuries and no recalls would seem a bigger issue.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What’s the logic on that rule anyways? I guess teams could gain an edge by constantly cycling out healthy scratches, but having lots of injuries and no recalls would seem a bigger issue.

Emergency recalls don't count so a team with injuries can still make callups, but those guys have to go down once they get players back healthy to field the 12F/6D/2G.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

throughout the season teams have a limited recall count at one time except for injury/ illness emergencies.

part of the reason behind it is for competitive balance. If there isn’t a roster limit after the deadline,what’s to stop a team just fielding their AHL team in nhl games—similar to September baseball When they have 40 man and might field a team of all prospects.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
throughout the season teams have a limited recall count at one time except for injury/ illness emergencies.

part of the reason behind it is for competitive balance. If there isn’t a roster limit after the deadline,what’s to stop a team just fielding their AHL team in nhl games—similar to September baseball When they have 40 man and might field a team of all prospects.
Holy hell i understood what you said for a change....

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

couldn't you solve that problem by limiting the number of simultaneous non-emergency recalls? That would allow you keep cycling guys back and forth to Roch to give them looks, but you wouldn't be able to field an all-prospect team. Seems like a dumb rule, but maybe I'm missing something.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
couldn't you solve that problem by limiting the number of simultaneous non-emergency recalls? That would allow you keep cycling guys back and forth to Roch to give them looks, but you wouldn't be able to field an all-prospect team. Seems like a dumb rule, but maybe I'm missing something.

yes they can do rolling call ups.

i think if they sign Johnson/ Power to contracts and they play this year, they may send down Samuelson or/and Fitzgerald which then opens some other call ups.

They also would like Rochester to make the playoffs. if they were safely 8n or eliminated you might see rotating call ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad