Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does the SCF change your opinion on Panarin’s post season? The Panthers pretty much nullified every superstar that played against them..
He has a reputation for not being a playoff type of player for a reason. We have seen this before with Panarin. Regular season player that doesn't dominate in the playoffs like he has the skill to do so.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Does the SCF change your opinion on Panarin’s post season? The Panthers pretty much nullified every superstar that played against them..

No.

He didn’t draw the tough matchups the other top guys had/have and his line mates were still very good.

The best thing we can say is that he didn’t get in their way.

At least he had Carolina this year.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
The Panthers have locked down McDavid and Draisaitl just like Panarin. Yup they must suck in the playoffs as bad as Panarin does. Too funny

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think Panarin had a much better playoff than last year and redeemed himself a bit. we need to get tougher, he's not the problem he needs space to operate

I thought overall he was fine. It was definitely his best playoff as a Ranger. The 3 game bubble stint he was terrible but there's extenuating circumstances at play with that between the whole bubble setup, small sample size, etc. 21-22 he had the game 7 winner but beyond that I thought he was ineffective and shying away from play even if his point total was solid. 22-23 was a disaster. This playoff he had games where he looked really good and some games where he just wasn't effective. He was one of our better forwards the Florida series (not saying much and might have more to do with his linemates) even if the points weren't there. Again fine is how I'd describe it but given the salary and his role, you'd hope for a lot more from your most dynamic forward.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Panarin lands on the low end of decent these playoffs for me. Teams keyed in on him obviously which opened the ice a lot for Tro and Laf - the biggest plus was that Tro and Laf both capitalized on the opportunities they got. Panarin's lack of 1st hand offense against teams that more closely resembled NHL rosters is concerning, but like I said these other guys grabbing the bull by the horns shows that the team can rely on players other than The Untouchables to come up in big moments. Hopefully that opens up some eyes and offers some other options throughout the year (like giving Laf extended PP1 time, breaking up CK+Mika).

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Panarin isn't nor should he go anywhere. Teams targeting him freed up Trochek and Lafreniere. It's one thing that confuses me as to why they don't split Kreider and Zib and make the matchups tougher. If you got one of those type of player on 3 lines it makes it harder to shut them all down, especially when you have the luxury of Wennberg/Roslovic playing with say Kreider and Kakko, the panarin line and then one of Roslovic, Wennberg,Goodrow and Zib Chytil. Once teams shut the zib line down, it was basically up to the 2nd line to score because we didn't seem to have anything going on outside of Goodrow in the bottom 6.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The issue, as it almost always is, is the cap. You can’t make the money Panarin does and then not produce in the playoffs.

Sure, go ahead and argue that Florida is shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl too. Now go ahead and remember that Edmonton isn’t winning the Cup either.

To win the Cup, your best players need to be better than the best players on. The other team. If they’re not, you’re gonna lose. That’s it. The rest is window dressing.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
The issue, as it almost always is, is the cap. You can’t make the money Panarin does and then not produce in the playoffs.
Bingo. We all should be thinking this way. What is the player bringing? Are they out- or under-performing their cap hit?

Pan is well below a PPG player for the entirety of his 73-game playoff career with a whopping +/- of -18! That includes -2 this year, by the way.

Paying McDavid-level $12M for that is a tough pill to swallow. This board would be a lot less sour on him for his playoff performance if his cap hit were even Mika's $8.5M.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I thought Panarin was good this playoffs. Maybe I’m in the minority. He left me wanting more in the Florida series, but he had tough matchups and scored timely important goals on the run. Like someone said their best players were better than ours, doesn’t mean he should be traded

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
A neutral hockey fan coming with peace.

Bread is a family man with many millions on his account. He doesnt care about ever winning a cup. Ideally for bread, his team never makes the playoffs and his holiday starts in April. Its just what it is.
I see no reason to believe this at all. He is part of a long list of players whose production declines in the playoffs. That does not mean he doesn't want to make the playoffs. That is silly imo.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I thought Panarin was good this playoffs. Maybe I’m in the minority. He left me wanting more in the Florida series, but he had tough matchups and scored timely important goals on the run. Like someone said their best players were better than ours, doesn’t mean he should be traded
He was better then last season in the playoffs… not saying much…

He was fine against Washington. Had some real trouble against Carolina, and against FLA, he was non-existent.

I know FLA was making things miserable for him, he’s a guy that shys away from body contact in the reg season, in the playoffs when everything is dialed up, it becomes a glaring issue.

My main bone to pick with him is the best shift he had against FLA is when he scored the 6 on 5 goal….. before scoring, he actually held the puck on his stick for more then 3 seconds, cut to the middle, took a bit of a hit and kept going…..
He didn’t do that in the prior 6 games……
Good teams are going to key in on your best players and make it miserable in the playoffs….
If the guy truly wants to be elite, he has to battle thru that and find a way…. That’s what elite players do….
His 1v1 battle on loose pucks, and his fear of getting hit to make the play that needs to be made are the issues that’s going to keep him from being truly great to a really good player that can’t help us get over the hump…..

From game 1 on, it was pretty clear to anyone watching the bigger/faster FLA team had him pretty intimidated….
Bread loves to hold the puck and slow the game down to make plays. It’s how he shreds teams with his elite vision/passing skill.. in FLA series the puck would leave his stick in a second or two because he heard or saw an opposing player ready to hit him every time.

No one is going to give you open ice in the playoffs. You have to be willing to pay the price to make a play, beat a guy 1v1 on a loose puck, win a board battle and make a pass that needs to be made knowing your going to get drilled into the boards…
Panarin just doesn’t have that in him….and at this point in his career I don’t think he ever will. It’s a shame because as good as him-Tro-laf were in the reg season, you could tell he was the weak link in the playoffs, mainly the last 2 series when the ice became smaller and the physicality became more frequent.
It was quite obvious he quickly became the weak link/non-factor on that line while the other 2 didn’t mind the rough stuff and actually even embraced the role at times.
What we saw was 2/3s a line in the playoffs that was willing to pay the cost.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Sure, go ahead and argue that Florida is shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl too. Now go ahead and remember that Edmonton isn’t winning the Cup either.

To win the Cup, your best players need to be better than the best players on. The other team. If they’re not, you’re gonna lose. That’s it. The rest is window dressing.
Nobody wins the Cup until they do and you can't build a team around guys that you know for sure can win the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad