Player Discussion Artem Zub (D) Part 2 [Extended 4 years @ $4.6M]

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Disagreed, Dorion should absolutely be blamed for giving out 1-way contracts to non-NHL defencemen that NO other team has shown willingness to take. Buy-out was possible, but none of the players you mentioned are worth such buyout. You still need to fill the roster with cap minus the buyout hit, not a pleasant sight. Like I said, the 3rd pairing situation sucks, but Staios did address other more pressing and prioritized needs (starter, top-4 D, veteran forwards).

I am not sure why Staios was quick to give Sogaard a 1-way next year though. That's a move horribly aging already.

Zub please come back healthy and strong and soon!

The Hamonic signing could have been fixed rather easily, but is largely irrelevant to the discussion about defensive depth.

The bigger issue than not buying him out was not surrounding him with additional depth so if he continued to suck he could be stapled to the bench.

I've also made the argument that trading Joseph to fit in Perron's cap hit, at the cost of a million in cap space, was a mistake.

It appears we don't want to play with a full roster and go with 2 spares on D because we'd be at risk of incurring a bonus overage penalty, like we did last year playing right up against the cap. Wouldn't be an issue if we kept Joseph and let Perron sign elsewhere.

Not the end of the world, but self-imposed errors that could cost us somewhat.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just as zub was looking better than ever.
A prick comes along and derails his progress. Hopefully he gets back there and isn’t affected too much.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The Hamonic signing could have been fixed rather easily, but is largely irrelevant to the discussion about defensive depth.

The bigger issue than not buying him out was not surrounding him with additional depth so if he continued to suck he could be stapled to the bench.

I've also made the argument that trading Joseph to fit in Perron's cap hit, at the cost of a million in cap space, was a mistake.

It appears we don't want to play with a full roster and go with 2 spares on D because we'd be at risk of incurring a bonus overage penalty, like we did last year playing right up against the cap. Wouldn't be an issue if we kept Joseph and let Perron sign elsewhere.

Lots going on with the team. Roster needed to be reshaped. Not much cap space. No prospects, to graduate to the NHL or be used as trade capital. Same with draft picks to be used as trade capital. This wasn't going to be fixed in one offseason. I bet next year is the target....second round of playoffs....it's the year they forfite the 1rst round pick. These guys are playing the long game, no more Mickey Mouse bullshit.

Reactions: LiseL

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Next year we should honestly just leave cap and roster space open for both a forward and a defence waiver claim.

There are players that pass through that are better than what we're icing at the bottom of our roster.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I still don't understand why we didn't get kylington if we wanted to move on from branny
Kylington isn’t a full time guy now either, he’d also be an easy guy to trade for.

Neither Brann or Kylington cracked the Avs lineup out the gate, they went with Ludvig, Malinski and De Haan. 4 of those guys will be in and out.

Not sure either guy is someone we’d like to have on the roster, but seeing Hamoinc on the ice is painful.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Kylington isn’t a full time guy now either, he’d also be an easy guy to trade for.

Neither Brann or Kylington cracked the Avs lineup out the gate, they went with Ludvig, Malinski and De Haan. 4 of those guys will be in and out.

Not sure either guy is someone we’d like to have on the roster, but seeing Hamoinc on the ice is painful.
Thats fair, i guess the overall point is how did we not get more depth

most of us knew what we had with hamonic, jbd is jbd. After that is a whole lot of question marks

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
at what point is a question mark better than when you know the answer?
Kleven had an unreal game on Monday. So he’s becoming less of a question mark. To me jbd and hamonic are still question marks. Though I don’t mind Hamonic in a strict 6 role especially with a more comfortable kleven.

This team definitely needs a strong 6-7 though. And at least one d man in the minors who you trust to come up and play decent hockey.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Something stinks about the Joseph thing. It was to get amadio and staois was hell bent on getting rid of Joseph.

Maybe we'll find out there's more to it some day

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Clearly there was something going on with Joseph.

Perron at the cap hit we got him at…. Looking a little steep

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Something stinks about the Joseph thing. It was to get amadio and staois was hell bent on getting rid of Joseph.

Maybe we'll find out there's more to it some day

I don't know how much evidence there is of any off-ice issues with Joseph. Certainly I haven't seen much of anything besides a few posters here mentioning he liked to party.

Personally I don't give a crap if he likes to have a good time post-game considering he was arguably the hardest working Senator during his time in Ottawa during actual games.

I mention Perron because I would have signed Amadio at 2.6M x 3YRs regardless of what we did with Joseph. That's a fair contract for a guy who should be a solid 3rd line forward for us. I had more of a problem with the Perron signing. He's old, Joseph out-scored him at even strength last year, and he doesn't bring the same assets to the table that Joseph did - mainly speed and forechecking ability - which are attributes we now lack in our lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad