Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
If they seriously name themselves the Black Knights I will be livid. No city offers more nickname opportunities than Vegas, and you go with "Black Knights"? **** off.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Cut and pasted from an article about the 'Hawks moves in the last year. It's always comforting to be reminded that other teams screw up too.

--- Snip ---

The Sharp trade and its aftermath

Sharp being traded was one of those things that seemed inevitable given his age and contract situation, and on July 10, not even two weeks after Saad was traded to Columbus, Sharp and Johns were traded to the Dallas Stars for Ryan Garbutt and Trevor Daley.

Before the 2015-16 season was over neither player the Blackhawks received in the trade would remain with the team. They now have nothing to show for it in terms of players on the ice.

On Dec. 14 the Blackhawks traded Daley, who never seemed to fit on their blue line or earn the trust of Joel Quenneville, to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Rob Scuderi. Daley would go on to be a key part of the Penguins' defense and play a huge role in their Stanley Cup run (he was the first person to get the Cup from captain Sidney Crosby) before he broke his ankle in the Eastern Conference Finals.

A little more than a month later, Garbutt was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for Jiri Sekac, who the Blackhawks would eventually lose on waivers to the Arizona Coyotes after he played in six games for the team.

Three days before the trade deadline, Scuderi was traded to the Kings for Christian Ehrhoff with the Blackhawks retaining a portion of his contract that will remain on the books through the end of the 2016-17 season. Ehrhoff played in eight games for the Blackhawks and is an unrestricted free agent.

The trade as it stands today: Patrick Sharp and Stephen Johns for salary cap space

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, the Hawks are pretty ****ed right now. Don't they have bonuses from this year counting against next year's cap as well? They're in trouble for the foreseeable future as well if they can't get out from under those Hossa and Seabrook contracts.

They have three Cups though, so that will take a lot of the sting out of it.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Yeah, the Hawks are pretty ****ed right now. Don't they have bonuses from this year counting against next year's cap as well? They're in trouble for the foreseeable future as well if they can't get out from under those Hossa and Seabrook contracts.

They have three Cups though, so that will take a lot of the sting out of it.

Little over 3m on bonus overage. Most of it (about 2.8m) from Panarin.

The fans in the main board thread seem to think they are going to just pronger Hossa, but the same people were also predicting Bickell would sit out his contract on LTIR for some mild vertigo after effects, so not sure how on board with that plan the actual Blackhawks org and even more so Marian Hossa are.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The Sharp-Daley trade was truly bizarre. On paper, that's an incredibly fair trade. In fact, I'd probably rather have Daley. The problem is that the Hawks acquired a guy who gets better the longer he's on the ice, whose greatest assets are his mobility and ability to carry the puck up the ice in transition and they gave him limited minutes and told him not to carry the puck. Why on Earth would you want Trevor Daley to play a safe, sheltered game? Why not acquire somebody else in that trade?

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think 3 cups is worth ****ing yourself for a little while, personally.

It definitely is. The good news for the Pens is that they are going to be contending for a 3rd next year (albeit the first two were 7 years apart) and have managed not to completely screw themselves cap-wise. Shero gave out a couple of stinkers (Scuderi for one) but they don't have any real albatross on the books.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm not an Edmonton fan but really looking forward to seeing an entire year of Connor McDavid. The league needs a new superstar.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think 3 cups is worth ****ing yourself for a little while, personally.

Ya think?

Yeah the Hawks will find a way to move guys / acquire guys to meet the cap and still stay competitive. Just might take a couple years to get back to where they were. They're pretty good with managing their roster and keeping a fresh influx of talent. Having Panarin will ease the sting a bit but they do have a few scrubs on the roster. Will be interesting to see what they do this summer.

Meanwhile all I can say is

7161487dbc33c8727688e208ff966b89.jpg
nelson-haha.com.png

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I dont know if thats the joke but that looks a hell lot like Quenneville

Haha. Yeah I just found it so instead of Nelson laughing at the Hawks, he gets to laugh at Quenville too.

The logo itself is pretty hilarious though. Looks just like him. If I were the type of person to buy a Hawks jersey I'd get one with that logo.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Datsyuk officially gone to Russia.

Quite a career for that guy. Helluva talent.

Even crazier is if you scroll down that page, the Hawks apparently traded Teravinen this week? That's f-ing nuts. I was not expecting that at all after they had to cut Saad loose last year and Sharp too. I figured he and Panarin would be around for several years helping keep the skill level high without breaking the bank. That was a dumb move IMO unless they felt he was too soff to deal with teams like STL and LA out west. Just goes to show nothing is given in this league.

We must enjoy the Chalice of Glory while we can!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Quite a career for that guy. Helluva talent.

Even crazier is if you scroll down that page, the Hawks apparently traded Teravinen this week? That's f-ing nuts. I was not expecting that at all after they had to cut Saad loose last year and Sharp too. I figured he and Panarin would be around for several years helping keep the skill level high without breaking the bank. That was a dumb move IMO unless they felt he was too soff to deal with teams like STL and LA out west. Just goes to show nothing is given in this league.

We must enjoy the Chalice of Glory while we can!

They really didn't have much choice but to trade him. Nobody was going to throw them a lifeline and take Bryan Bickell's contract without a significant asset being packaged with him. A cautionary tale against giving mediocre players a lucrative extension based on a great playoff run.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Lol Trotz gets a nomination for the Jack Adams? For what? Opening and closing the bench doors during the season?

Guess the writers figure the Craps have to get thrown a bone this year.

Sullivan should be in there but theres probably an unwritten rule where the coach has to be with the team all year, don't think Byslma got a nom in 2009.

Gallant should get it. Ruffs team is stacked with offense and was exposed as expected defensively.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They really didn't have much choice but to trade him. Nobody was going to throw them a lifeline and take Bryan Bickell's contract without a significant asset being packaged with him. A cautionary tale against giving mediocre players a lucrative extension based on a great playoff run.

That team has got 3 cups in 6 years, can't even be mad IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad