OT: Around the NHL: RIP Gordie Howe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Strangely enough, Torts managed to mentor one Mike Sullivan. Perhaps he just soaked in his positive teachings and completely ignored the rest of it (about 85-90% of his philosophy). :laugh:

Learning from Torts is simple.

After observing him for 5 minutes you know, "ok...everything he's just done...I'll do the opposite." ;)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It seems so stupid and irresponsible of the NHL to consider expansion when certain teams are on some very shaky financial grounds, namely Carolina.

I don't think so. They can expand 1 team to Vegas and have a few markets in mind to relocate a team like Carolina if it happens. Quebec City is waiting in the wings. That could be part of why they aren't being considered for expansion this time around.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
To be honest I think it's smart to expand to Las Vegas, especially if they can be the first major league to get into the market. Carolina struggling doesn't make Vegas a bad market to enter with a new team. More teams means more money.

I also think it's smart to deny Quebec City until either one of the struggling franchises needs a new home or the Canadian dollar improves. I wouldn't be surprised if the league was happy to move Carolina should Karmanos be forced to sell.

Plus, if QC gets a relocated team, there's still room to even up the West with another expansion team in Seattle or Portland. It's all win-win, I think.

I essentially came in to post this. Agreed entirely.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
That has less to do with Carolina and more to do with rampant mismanagement and shady usage of funds.

I hope the NHL has been wary of Karmanos since he considered moving the Whalers to an abandoned aircraft hangar in Columbus.

Honestly it's a miracle, ordained by the Lord's messenger on earth Jim Rutherford, that a Karmanos team won the Cup.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I can't believe some are criticizing the Penguins because they held the parade on the same day as Howe's funeral. Anyway they can ***** about the team they do. Like Howe would really want that anyone. Please.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I can't believe some are criticizing the Penguins because they held the parade on the same day as Howe's funeral. Anyway they can ***** about the team they do. Like Howe would really want that anyone. Please.

Who is criticizing them for that? When were they supposed to have it? It's not like Howe's funeral was in downtown Pittsburgh and they were standing outside tooting on vuvuzelas.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Who is criticizing them for that? When were they supposed to have it? It's not like Howe's funeral was in downtown Pittsburgh and they were standing outside tooting on vuvuzelas.

:laugh:

I made the mistake of going on FB and reading some comments from the mentally deranged. I should have known better. I'm pretty sure people like that think that the Penguins formed ISIS.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

This may sound cold, but I don't think there are many people in Pittsburgh who care much about Howe.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think it was probably held today because just like the cup it was 7 years ago to the day of the last parade.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Lmao, I love seeing the Hawks continue to dump away youth. Those contracts to Kane + Toews, yeeeouch.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They kind of have to. They don't have much wiggle room under the cap, and need to fill out their roster.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, they got 3 Cups when Toews & Kane were signed for under market value. Kind of hard to feel bad for them now. Surprisingly it seems like the Pens have done a better job of managing the cap, although Crosby signing under the old CBA certainly helped there.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Hawks won 3 Cups while getting absurd value for their core...now they're paying for it.

I don't know how anyone can feel sorry for them. They're still going to be right in the thick of things next year.

The hilarious thing is the segment of Hawks fans that are trying to figure out how they can fit Malkin under the cap. :facepalm:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Hawks won 3 Cups while getting absurd value for their core...now they're paying for it.

I don't know how anyone can feel sorry for them. They're still going to be right in the thick of things next year.

The hilarious thing is the segment of Hawks fans that are trying to figure out how they can fit Malkin under the cap. :facepalm:

:laugh:
To their credit only a few of them actually think he's unhappy with the Pens and just itching to go play in Chicago immediately after he just won a Cup.

Anyway, it's not summer until Malkin trade rumors start flying. What is this, the 9th summer in a row he's being traded? I guess we can thank Eklund this time for our yearly entertainment.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I just saw that Hawks thread. Malkin clearly unhappy playing with Sid, Pens need to move him to fit in Bonino's massive raise. Good lord. Who are these people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad