OT: Around the NHL: RIP Gordie Howe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
So it looks like Todd Rierden is one of the finalists for the head coaching job in Calgary. He seemed like a decent guy when he was here to hopefully it pans out for him. On the other hand, it would be really interesting to see Niskanen and Orpik follow him down to DC only for him to take a HC job somewhere else.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
So it looks like Todd Rierden is one of the finalists for the head coaching job in Calgary. He seemed like a decent guy when he was here to hopefully it pans out for him. On the other hand, it would be really interesting to see Niskanen and Orpik follow him down to DC only for him to take a HC job somewhere else.

I don't know how well this would work out. He got ripped to shreds when he was here, but stranger things have happened. Best of luck to him, either way.

In funnier news, the Ducks are on the verge of re-hiring Randy Carlyle as their head coach. The same Randy Carlyle that ran the Maple Leafs into the ground and all but threw Kessel under the bus.

Never change, NHL. Never change. :laugh:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I don't get that at all. If the Ducks didn't want to make any changes or go in a different direction they'd have been better off keeping Boudreau.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Coaching market is weak right now and it seems more organizations are going with the homegrown guy but yeah that's a strange one.

I still think BB is one of the best coaches in the league and firing him was dumb in the first place. Although which as much failing as the Ducks have done someone has to be blamed.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They could have gone with any coach, and they would be better than Carlyle. It is a bad move that could cost Murray his job if things go awry next season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ducks are done as a contending team in the West, IMO.

I think Nashville is a piece away from being a favorite to get to the SCF next year. Chicago will still be a flawed team. LA will need to get extremely creative to add a PMD and retain Lucic.

Sharks just pissed away a 30 pt performance from Logan Couture. I don't think they get back there.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Chicago is already the favorites to win next year according to some oddsmakers. I don't really get it aside from the every other year thing. Are they going to be any better next year than they were this year? They're still having massive issues with the cap, aren't they?

One that I saw had the Pens 3rd behind the Hawks & Caps as favorites.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Chicago is already the favorites to win next year according to some oddsmakers. I don't really get it aside from the every other year thing. Are they going to be any better next year than they were this year? They're still having massive issues with the cap, aren't they?

One that I saw had the Pens 3rd behind the Hawks & Caps as favorites.

Hawks have one good line with Hossa declining. I'll look forward to seeing what HF opinion is on Toews when he puts up another 60 or so points next season making 10.5 mil.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Hawks will also have a good deal of dead cap space.

Odds are pointless when so many decisions are still to be made. At least with this Pens team we know what 90% of the roster is going to look like next year...it's rare to see a team win the Cup with basically nothing more than the 6th defenseman being out of contract.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It seems so stupid and irresponsible of the NHL to consider expansion when certain teams are on some very shaky financial grounds, namely Carolina.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
It seems so stupid and irresponsible of the NHL to consider expansion when certain teams are on some very shaky financial grounds, namely Carolina.

NHL logic at its finest.

"Hey, do you know what we need? A team in Las Vegas! I know its doubtful it will succeed because they have a majority population of transplants and tourists in an area not known for hockey popularity, but money!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think anything but money is the deciding factor when it comes to whether or not the NHL views a team as being successful.

I still think Vegas will make a ton of money. Unless another sport moves there, it'll be the only of the big four sports in a town fanatical about sports gambling and known as a place to go to have a good time.

While I doubt you're gonna find many people in Vegas who have tens of thousands of posts on a message board regarding the nuances of hockey, there will be fans. They will spend money. The NHL will view it as a success.

Agreed on teams like Carolina though. When a team is in as bad financial trouble as Carolina is with their owner, it's odd the NHL opted to expand before relocating.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't think anything but money is the deciding factor when it comes to whether or not the NHL views a team as being successful.

I still think Vegas will make a ton of money. Unless another sport moves there, it'll be the only of the big four sports in a town fanatical about sports gambling and known as a place to go to have a good time.

While I doubt you're gonna find many people in Vegas who have tens of thousands of posts on a message board regarding the nuances of hockey, there will be fans. They will spend money. The NHL will view it as a success.

Agreed on teams like Carolina though. When a team is in as bad financial trouble as Carolina is with their owner, it's odd the NHL opted to expand before relocating.

Well that's kind of my point. If it's looking like the Hurricanes have no future in Carolina, why not have them move to LV? Yeah, Karmonos may want to sell local, but it doesn't sound like there's much interest locally from potential buyers. Combine that with the fact he's losing money while holding onto the team, eventually he'll be force to sell out of market.

On a side note, it would also even out the conferences.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I hate the idea of expansion for many reasons. I can't ever advocate relocation though, even if it makes sense, just because I remember how it feels to worry about your team leaving. I get that the Pens situation was different because that was all politics and a decrepit old arena, but meh.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't get the worry over losing a local team, economics aside.

But then again, I'm from NJ and I've been a lifelong Bills and Penguins fan. :laugh:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't get the worry over losing a local team, economics aside.

But then again, I'm from NJ and I've been a lifelong Bills and Penguins fan. :laugh:

Just speaking for myself I'd be totally inconsolable if the Pens left. If they had relocated I'd probably have still rooted for them until the last player from the Pittsburgh era was gone and then just let go of the NHL altogether. Maybe I'd have become a fan of some junior team that isn't based a billion miles away like the Monsters. I don't know.

Then again, I've also been a STH for over a decade. Some of the best memories of my childhood are going to Pens games with my (now deceased) dad. Going to Pens games is a big part of my life and has been for a long time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I personally think it's ****ing ridiculous how these NHL coaches just recycle. I have met so many amazing coaches in my life and I feel there are probably a ton of NHL ready head coaches out there who don't get a shot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah. It absolutely blows me away that Torts still gets hired. He's proven time and again that he has an extremely short shelf-life before his team turns on him. Seems like a complete idiot as a coach too. His entire approach is "yell at them and tell them to hit guys."

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah. It absolutely blows me away that Torts still gets hired. He's proven time and again that he has an extremely short shelf-life before his team turns on him. Seems like a complete idiot as a coach too. His entire approach is "yell at them and tell them to hit guys."

Poisonous team culture. Defensive style. Trap/block shots.

Did anyone watch the two teams that dominated the playoffs? :laugh:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

To be honest I think it's smart to expand to Las Vegas, especially if they can be the first major league to get into the market. Carolina struggling doesn't make Vegas a bad market to enter with a new team. More teams means more money.

I also think it's smart to deny Quebec City until either one of the struggling franchises needs a new home or the Canadian dollar improves. I wouldn't be surprised if the league was happy to move Carolina should Karmanos be forced to sell.

Plus, if QC gets a relocated team, there's still room to even up the West with another expansion team in Seattle or Portland. It's all win-win, I think.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Seattle was definitely part of the plan but wasnt able to workout for them. As soon as there is an owner and an arena, expansion talks will begin again.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004

Strangely enough, Torts managed to mentor one Mike Sullivan. Perhaps he just soaked in his positive teachings and completely ignored the rest of it (about 85-90% of his philosophy). :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad