Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.6%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think he wants to win, but he's either unwilling or unable to do what it takes.

And he's not alone on this team with that mentality.
Seems like its a bit of both.

It is 3, and Stamkos scenario.

Ferris will want to grab the most money he can put in his own pocket.

Leafs should give him an amount with an expiry date of July 0, 2025.

If he hasn't accepted the offer when free agency opens in 2025, use the money on the best available assets.

I could see Tavares offered at half, leaving ~$16mm for free agency from the "core" players.
God no

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Marner has all the control. I won’t blame him one bit if he stays and leaves via FA.

He owes the leafs nothing

Just like Mathews and Nylander now with their NMC that Tre gave them recently

If the fans boo because they want something in return and treat him like they did with Sundin then it just shows again that alot of fans have no class

Imagine the Habs treating their all time pts leader like we treated Sundin?

Fletcher played the media and fans ate it up like gospel

Will it be the same here? look at all the trades etc proposed by the media etc to cause a stir when Marner may never waive.

Then what? fans will blame Marner and in reality he had ever right to stay …play in the top six and get his 80-100 pts.

Maybe a team makes an offer at trade deadline for renting Marner but in the end he will choose who he wants and his contract.

Max deal options is the only thing that may sway him to sign and trade but he won’t go to a rebuilding team imho
For 11 sheets a year he definitely owes them something. When Ferraro says he looks hurt or disinterested (he wasn't hurt) that is not a good look. Take a hit to make a play, go to the dirty areas play with some vigor and an edge...thats what he owed the team and he didn't deliver....again.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
For 11 sheets a year he definitely owes them something. When Ferraro says he looks hurt or disinterested (he wasn't hurt) that is not a good look. Take a hit to make a play, go to the dirty areas play with some vigor and an edge...thats what he owed the team and he didn't deliver....again.

Are we Children here? Take a hit? etc.
They paid him for what he does…not what you think he needs to do.

They offered him a contract and he signed it.

What’s next? when Mathew’s and Nylander contracts come up …you will say the same thing? They owe the leafs something?

That’s all hogwash . Players in their prime owe teams nothing. If Marner wants to come back in his mid 30’s for a hometown discount then it will be all good ?

I understand the frustration etc. But in sports no athlete ever owns fans or ownership squat.

If you want to be bitter about another man’s money fill your boots.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

What’s next? when Mathew’s and Nylander contracts come up …you will say the same thing? They owe the leafs something?

That’s all hogwash . Players in their prime owe teams nothing. If Marner wants to come back in his mid 30’s for a hometown discount then it will be all good ?

I understand the frustration etc. But in sports no athlete ever owns fans or ownership squat.

Amen, none of these athletes owe us shit. They owe themselves and their families. I can’t wait till we trade Marner because I don’t necessarily think that’s gonna solve our issues and it will be funny to watch people scramble for the next person to blame hahaha. Probably back onto Nylander or Rielly.

Reactions: Da Mash

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
i went with the worst possible option cuz it's the leafs

Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA​

That's definitely not the worst. $13 x 8 is the worst. For that I can sign Guentzel who has 38 goals in 69 playoff games and still have about $5 million to play with. I change my team culture, get a far better playoff player, and I got $5 to spend.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

children eh? okeedokee

Yes...Take a hit to make a play. Have you watched the playoffs and the teams that go deep and how their best players play?

Yes they gave him the contract, never said they didn't.

34 and 88 do owe the leafs something and thats their best effort in all situations so yes I would hold them to the same standard.

I don't want Marner back at all for anything. I don't hate the guy but I don't think you can win with players like him.

Im not frustrated so not sure what thats about.

Because I think he owes it to his employers and fans to at least look interested in paying the price in the playoffs at 11 sheets per means I am bitter about another mans money? Your assumptions about my opinions are sprinkled with your own biases.

I don't know about you but when I work for someone and they treat me good, I feel an obligation to give it my best. I expect no different from super duper highly paid athletes.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's definitely not the worst. $13 x 8 is the worst. For that I can sign Guentzel who has 38 goals in 69 playoff games and still have about $5 million to play with. I change my team culture, get a far better playoff player, and I got $5 to spend.

you're right resigning him is the worst option so they'll probably do that

Reactions: TMLife17 and socko

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Athletes might not owe teams or fans anything but they owe it to themselves to perform.

There is a clip on X, TikTok and Insta about Pep, one of the best coaches in Football, talking to his team during half time. Basically he said to his players, you can’t play the way you did, it is unacceptable esp for the fans who made scarified to watch you play live. Need to work harder, need to be better….
In case you don’t know, Pep’s teams are always full of SuperStars, he literally got SuperStars not just on the bench but in the press box, not bc those players sucks but bc he always got better players.

If he said that to his players who are more famous and make more money than any NHL players ever, and these players listen, think guys in the NHL should follow too.

Last edited:

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
There is to much smoke not to be some fire. No one in the organization has put a stop to the smoke. He is gone. It won't be til after the up front money in his contract is paid July 1?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

if you watch how he plays (scared of his own shadow) and throws hissy fits on the bench and cries in the box and talks shit when his colleague gets a raise and so on, you'd think he's the child.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

This.

Marner disappears once the money stops coming in. No GM, sane or not, should offer him $13M (especially not ours).

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Having seen Gaudreau walk for nothing, I don’t think he lets that happen here. A NMC is a problem. But a few bag skates from The new coach after bad plays might sway him. Treliving Probably has a few ideas of the return he can get. Marner is a great regular season player. I’m a fan. His skill and vision are elite. No question. There is something going on in his head that doesn’t translate in the playoffs.

The Cap and need for improved defense really is the key to needing him moved. This team needs a shake up that shows lack of post season success won’t be tolerated. He’s been largely a no show every year. His value is still very high and some new or rebuilding team will cough up a lot for him.

This is what both what I think will happen and what I want to happen.

Reactions: TMLife17

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 8.10.37 PM.png

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I don't want Marner back at all for anything
exactly.
There is too much smoke not to be some fire. No one in the organization has put a stop to the smoke. He is gone. It won't be til after the up front money in his contract is paid July 1?
He's definitely gone. He doesnt have the balls to return for a season where he isnt wanted.
He'll cave with the pressure.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Amen, none of these athletes owe us shit. They owe themselves and their families. I can’t wait till we trade Marner because I don’t necessarily think that’s gonna solve our issues and it will be funny to watch people scramble for the next person to blame hahaha. Probably back onto Nylander or Rielly.
Matner isn’t the only problem child the Leafs need to deal with, he’s just the one up to bat, JT’s on deck and 34 and 88 are in the hole. By the start of next season two of the four will be gone imo, and then we’ll see if others need to go too, each journey begins with a single step and Marner’s step one of the journey………

i went with the worst possible option cuz it's the leafs

Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA​

That’s not the worst scenario, him staying and being resigned is the worst scenario imo……

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
children eh? okeedokee

Yes...Take a hit to make a play. Have you watched the playoffs and the teams that go deep and how their best players play?

Yes they gave him the contract, never said they didn't.

34 and 88 do owe the leafs something and thats their best effort in all situations so yes I would hold them to the same standard.

I don't want Marner back at all for anything. I don't hate the guy but I don't think you can win with players like him.

Im not frustrated so not sure what thats about.

Because I think he owes it to his employers and fans to at least look interested in paying the price in the playoffs at 11 sheets per means I am bitter about another mans money? Your assumptions about my opinions are sprinkled with your own biases.

I don't know about you but when I work for someone and they treat me good, I feel an obligation to give it my best. I expect no different from super duper highly paid athletes.

You have no idea if he is interested...or how much work he puts in. All you do is look at your TV and assume someone is dogging....or scared...etc.

They said the same thing about Kessel and he went on to win a few cups and could of been MVP a few times.

But I bet you were one of those fans that thought....make a hit Phil....you hot dog eating lazy bum....

If you think moving on from Marner and using his resources to get different types of players.....I have no issue.

But complaining because Athletes make too much money and they should do what you expect them to do is all hogwash. Professional althletes put in alot of work. Marner is never shy about how much he loves it hear and how much he wants to win. He just doesnt play the style you like......oh well......get over it ....he owes you nothing.....

I mentioned Children because your type of thinking is childish.....sorry

Reactions: ACC1224

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
if you watch how he plays (scared of his own shadow) and throws hissy fits on the bench and cries in the box and talks shit when his colleague gets a raise and so on, you'd think he's the child.

You take one 10 seconds segment the TO media loves to push down your throat like its Gospel and believe it. So he had a meltdown on the bench. One....now his whole character is that?

Keep believing the hogwash the TO media serves .....

I just love fans complaining how a player isnt tough and probably most of you would run away with your tali between your legs playing professional sports and the training etc that is involved to be a NHL player

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Athletes might not owe teams or fans anything but they owe it to themselves to perform.

There is a clip on X, TikTok and Insta about Pep, one of the best coaches in Football, talking to his team during half time. Basically he said to his players, you can’t play the way you did, it is unacceptable esp for the fans who made scarified to watch you play live. Need to work harder, need to be better….
In case you don’t know, Pep’s teams are always full of SuperStars, he literally got SuperStars not just on the bench but in the press box, not bc those players sucks but bc he always got better players.

If he said that to his players who are more famous and make more money than any NHL players ever, and these players listen, think guys in the NHL should follow too.

How do you know Marner was trying his hardest. Because he didnt fight? or crosscheck someone to the face? Lay a big hit on a 220 lbs defencman ? Kessel wasnt that player and he won cups? Did he try harder in Pitt? Or did he do his thing that he does best and helped Pitt win the cup?

All this trashing of Marner is pretty pathetic in all honesty ....but I exptect no less..... TO media has brainwashed alot of fans

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How do you know Marner was trying his hardest. Because he didnt fight? or crosscheck someone to the face? Lay a big hit on a 220 lbs defencman ? Kessel wasnt that player and he won cups? Did he try harder in Pitt? Or did he do his thing that he does best and helped Pitt win the cup?

All this trashing of Marner is pretty pathetic in all honesty ....but I exptect no less..... TO media has brainwashed alot of fans
Ferraro said, he looks either injured or uninterested. Ferraro is not someone who start stuff to look for clicks, so i take his words as he actually watched the Leafs series live between the bench.

Also I was not saying MM or other players wasn't trying but rather they need to do better b/c their results sucks. Now if their performance in the playoffs is the best they can do. Then they are pretty much overpaid and I don't want them to play for the Leafs bc if thats their best, they ain't winning anything.

Lets me ask you this question, if all the Leafs plays on another team and have the same personal stats, the team only make out of the 1st round once in 8 years. Would you still say, they are close and great players or would you dunk on that team and call their top guys chokers.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Even without the media influence, opinions will happen, just like yours. Others may focus on his playoff performance and object to his drivel when he's interviewed or alternatively watch him in the regular season and simply fawn over the guy whilst ignoring his weaknesses.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Oh look! Rocket Security got a new guy!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Kessel could score goals and lots of them with a laser beam shot, Marner not so much with his muffin shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad