Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I read a passing comment about 'hopefully either the buffalo or arizona guy as GM". Is Karmonos up for the job in PIT?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I read a passing comment about 'hopefully either the buffalo or arizona guy as GM". Is Karmonos up for the job in PIT?
I think those references were probably pre-Dubas getting hired as POHO.

Given that Karmanos hasn't worked with Dubas before, I would be surprised if he were still in the running.

:dunno:

Reactions: Fjordy

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It would be interesting to see Fitzgerald get his name on a cup after playing a total of like 30 minutes with the Panthers between the regular season and playoffs.
As a player, you get your name on the Cup if you play half or more of your team's regular season games, or at least 1 game in the Finals. Earlier playoff rounds don't count. Exceptions must be agreed to by the team and the NHL, and there's a limit to how many names are permitted on the Cup for each winner. (non-players in team organizations are on the Cup, as you know, but there's still a limit placed by the league.)

THere was a case a couple years ago where a traded player (at deadline) got his name on the Cup because the team agreed he had helped them get to the playoffs and deserved his name on the Cup with the rest of them. It was done as part of the exceptions process I noted above.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think those references were probably pre-Dubas getting hired as POHO.

Given that Karmanos hasn't worked with Dubas before, I would be surprised if he were still in the running.

:dunno:

I suppose Pridum would seem like the likely candidate - the power still resides with the POHO like Rutherford in Vancouver or even Gorton in Montreal having a hand in (or running the GM as a puppet depending on how you view it).

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Just waiting for the Sabres to announce that one of Adams and Karmanos are the POH and the other is the GM
It seems like an easy answer. Karmanos already built his department here and implemented everything. And he knows Adams listens. Moving anywhere else with a guy above you there’s no way to know that would happen.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
It seems like an easy answer. Karmanos already built his department here and implemented everything. And he knows Adams listens. Moving anywhere else with a guy above you there’s no way to know that would happen.
Although I feel comfortable with either being the POH I think Karmanos is more fit for that position. The guy has a lot more experience in upper management rolls since at least 2005 plus his father was in multiple management rolls also. Seems like Adams has developed good relationships with other GMs around the league and just really like him as a GM.

POH: Karmanos
GM: Adams
AGM: Ventura

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Although I feel comfortable with either being the POH I think Karmanos is more fit for that position. The guy has a lot more experience in upper management rolls since at least 2005 plus his father was in multiple management rolls also. Seems like Adams has developed good relationships with other GMs around the league and just really like him as a GM.

POH: Karmanos
GM: Adams
AGM: Ventura

Karmanos' father is a billionaire businessman who was involved with hockey at an ownership level of several clubs. (Junior level clubs in the Detroit area and then bought the Hartford Whalers)

Jason got his job with Carolina because he dad owned the team.

That being said, Rutherford thought enough of him to bring him over from Carolina with him, so he obviously has some aptitude and not just a the owners kid.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I do like the idea of Adams moving as the PoHO and Karmanos as the GM. First, you keep your current team, and with Karmanos bumping up, you can also work a few internal promotions. That'll buy even more time with the current team.

The PoHO, to me, is an oversight position designed to make sure that the vision of the owner, the traditions of the organization, and the overall operations of the team are aligned. In many senses, the position's description is to ensure the organization doesn't do anything dumb. After LaFontaine left, Pegula should've hired another PoHO, because Murray needed one.

The GM does the normal GM stuff.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
1 month from today Auston Matthews will have a full NMC. That’s the most fun story of this off-season to me.

Reactions: Jacob582

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023

Father of Mattias fired by Danny Briere.

Kjell spent a long time with the Flyers, so I'm sure it's upsetting.
That said, I don't want the Sabres to hire him. That would put unnecessary pressure on Mattias, IMO.
But, if he is hired (with his son's blessing) and can help the Sabres do terrible things to the Flyers (on the ice) -- I'm all for it.
1975 still bothers me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Father of Mattias fired by Danny Briere.

Seems to undo a bunch of the summer of 2021 restructuring the Flyers did -

Given their results, no one should feel safe in their staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad