Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can think of a 28 goal scorer who could definitely help Winnipeg right now...

They've shown they have a rotten room and they're still hanging onto this notion that they can fix things. I'm surprised by their optimism. I bought it too back in January but man, they showed their true colors down the stretch and backed into the playoffs. I wonder how long Jet fans go before the product and constant refusal to try to retrench drives them away.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I love how these networks all have "rules analysts" but still the commentators give wrong information without being corrected. If there are matching minors during an existing power play, it does not change the manpower and thus would not result in a 4-on-4 when the original penalty expired, contrary to what Keith Jones kept saying.

Reactions: Chainshot

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Boo that result. Good game, overactive refs. I’m fine with them not putting the whistles away, but they were clearly just trying to even up the calls and score. Like always.

Also, Kyle Dubas looks like a guy play-acting at being a smart hockey mind. Dude dressed up for Halloween awhile ago and has just gotten promotions ever since. He has “moneyball” over top of a Spider-Man comic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This sounds like Friedman typical crap. How does a team trade its best players to get better immediately. It's not sensical.

If it was a non-Canadian team, no one would buy it. But with SportsNet having HNiC... and True North already playing the "we can't rebuild, what will happen with the fans?" card like Aquilini is on their board or something... it smacks of pumping hope instead of reality.

Reactions: Vito_81

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If it was a non-Canadian team, no one would buy it. But with SportsNet having HNiC... and True North already playing the "we can't rebuild, what will happen with the fans?" card like Aquilini is on their board or something... it smacks of pumping hope instead of reality.
Winnipeg, where you can’t rebuild and won’t make trades. If you close your eyes you can almost hear Ralph Wilson.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
They've shown they have a rotten room and they're still hanging onto this notion that they can fix things. I'm surprised by their optimism. I bought it too back in January but man, they showed their true colors down the stretch and backed into the playoffs. I wonder how long Jet fans go before the product and constant refusal to try to retrench drives them away.

Sounds like a different path to the same result as Buffalo a few season ago

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
I hope Florida hasn't cooled off.
Feel like they outplayed Vegas last night by a slim margin. All of those posts and crazy stick save were the reasons why they lost

I feel like the skaters on the two teams are pretty even, with Florida having an edge in goal. Hill will regress at some point

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
10 days of etc..i think if Florida steps up and are led by non pricks of verhage and Sam and barkov decides its life or death. it will expose the bs of stone and pietrangelo.. vegas shouldn't be there.. eichel is the wildcard.. he's not as good as when he was here and i didn't see last night but he has a will we saw for two years before it all went to shite..

Cool the bandits won for buffalo..

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
would be Cool if thachuck and stone w puetrangelo all had a dishonorable knife fight and all bled out at center ice .. like an undercard for wwe, all the refs hospitalized for two weeks w an independent crew brought in and all the sensors in the arena torn out by radicalized vandals. ..then play the series..as i have issues w both teams even being there .. since won't happen.. on w the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

$7.85M AAV.

Tage and Cozens both came in cheaper than Caufield. Love it.

Montreal has a net effective tax rate of 53.3 for that top tax bracket

Buffalo has net effective tax rate of 47.7

So there is a little bit of a premium there. (a shade under 400k at 7M)

Montreal also got the 8th year, which raises the AAV a bit too.

I personally would have bridged him given that he hasn't hit that high end production numbers (yet), but I guess knowing the cap will jump in a year makes the idea getting it done quicker makes sense.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've yet to see a player you wouldn't have given a bridge to. :laugh:

I mean....8 years post ELC is 11 years, and for the type of players who get that deal typically sign in their early 20s. So you are getting their entire prime by going that route and not grabbing the wrong end of the aging curve. But, you are paying for a projection of their production during those years. I look at Barzal on his long term deal where he isn't really living up to his contract year production. Lots of examples of forwards who simply never match up to what they project out to be at the end end of their ELC.

There are very few players I'd go ELC -> Long term contract for. Simply because I think as opposition teams adjust to players and players adjust to bigger roles, things can change quite a bit. The under 26 buyout clause serves as a bit of an escape valve, but still, on this big long term deals it's an expensive escape valve if you have to use it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Lots of examples of forwards who simply never match up to what they project out to be at the end end of their ELC.

You mentioned Barzal.......but I don't think there are "lots" of examples who go from ELC--->long term deal that aren't good deals by the end of their long term deal.

Sure seems like a lot of the guys who go from ELC---> long term deal have their deals either right at market value or significantly under fairly quickly.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You mentioned Barzal.......but I don't think there are "lots" of examples who go from ELC--->long term deal that aren't good deals by the end of their long term deal.

Sure seems like a lot of the guys who go from ELC---> long term deal have their deals either right at market value or significantly under fairly quickly.

Off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad