Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Off the top of my head.

Including Hodgson and his genetic disorder again?

If we're picking and choosing random folks without regard for circumstances, folks where the bridge bit their team in the ass:

Some that got bridged and are on those long-term 3rd deals you love that didn't work out either:

Neither method exclusively is good or bad, no matter how hard you hate one of the methods.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Bridge deals are for old timers. Every smart franchise in sports is signing their young players that have a lot of promise to these deals now.

It’s worth the risk

I might be weird but part of me wants to give Power a short bridge just so we can sign him the full 8 years after the bridge to keep him for 10-11 years.

Reactions: brian_griffin

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
If a long term deal goes to shit it's way better to have it happen with a guy who signs at 22 than a guy who signs at 27. In the former case you're more likely to have teams willing to take on a reclamation project. More importantly, though, there are far less onerous buy-out terms for players who are under 26. If you look at those buy-out numbers for White, Hodgson and Wennberg, they were not even remotely restrictive to the teams that got rid of them. Also, in addition to under-26 buy-outs being cheaper, younger players are also far more likely to sign back-loaded deals, which are also easier to buy-out than front-loaded ones.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Off the top of my head.

Including Hodgson in there? Seriously? His deal was looking fantastic until that whole genetic problem thing.

Also if you look -- none of these deals are big money deals. Most are roughly half of what Cozens/Caufield/etc are getting. And the ELC -->big money long term deals are working out 90% of the time at least.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I guess you pay player when you have to pay them, but that team still has a long way to go with their top 6. If those are my two highest paid forwards, I would want both to be centers.

They certainly have a gaping hole at 2C long-term, of that there is no doubt. Owen Beck is probably the guy in the system that there's the most hope for

I've got no problem in a long-term model paying your top winger and top 2 centers roughly the same money.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Including Hodgson in there? Seriously? His deal was looking fantastic until that whole genetic problem thing.

Also if you look -- none of these deals are big money deals. Most are roughly half of what Cozens/Caufield/etc are getting. And the ELC -->big money long term deals are working out 90% of the time at least.
Ya, hodgson’s deal was fantastic right up until it fit exactly what’s being talked about…

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I've got no problem in a long-term model paying your top winger and top 2 centers roughly the same money.
Don't forget about Slafkovsky. So that'll be another non-center they will be paying very soon in the top 6.

Probably won't matter since their talent pool is pretty far away from cap problems.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ya, hodgson’s deal was fantastic right up until it fit exactly what’s being talked about…

So is it a bad idea to lock up guys for value long term because they might be hurt one day? Or in his case, genetically malfunctioning? Because then it's going to be a lot of short term deals and the risk of players going where they will find security since a considerable majority will do so.

I guess you pay player when you have to pay them, but that team still has a long way to go with their top 6. If those are my two highest paid forwards, I would want both to be centers.

Suzuki seems like he'd be a very good 2C but the Habs still need someone to slot in above him in terms of scoring. That he's the captain and the salary structuring right now is that he's the top guy so others are going to have slot in below what he does.

As for Slaf, he's got a ways to go to show that he's in Caufield's level of productivity.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
So is it a bad idea to lock up guys for value long term because they might be hurt one day? Or in his case, genetically malfunctioning? Because then it's going to be a lot of short term deals and the risk of players going where they will find security since a considerable majority
No, it’s just pointing out that it fits the profile of what’s being discussed. The discussion is about whether or not it’s a bad idea. I have no input into that discussion because all blanket statements and any form of absolutism is pretty stupid (including this one). So I’ll let you all have at it. But the risk for injury is certainly part of that discussion. Especially for a player that was injured before the team even acquired him.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Gudas to the room, see how much ice Fitzy does see

edit - he just had a shot on goal

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Vegas is gonna have to find a way to keep Hill. You can tell me all about how good Vegas is in front of him…but every game he makes incredible saves over and over in dangerous sequences when he has to.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No, it’s just pointing out that it fits the profile of what’s being discussed. The discussion is about whether or not it’s a bad idea. I have no input into that discussion because all blanket statements and any form of absolutism is pretty stupid (including this one). So I’ll let you all have at it. But the risk for injury is certainly part of that discussion. Especially for a player that was injured before the team even acquired him.

So arguing for the sake of arguing. 'kay. Like I posted, neither method is just good or bad.

I don't think anyone is saying there is no inherent risk in signing any player to a long-term deal, just that justification for why not ought to at least have some level of consistency. Doak's post does point to what might be underlying issues of giving term to mid-line guys in Wennberg or White.

If the discussion is about Hodgson, his back was deemed fine and healed when he signed his extension. That was the injury that he had prior to coming to Buffalo, his mitochondrial thing developed after. Illness/injury will always be an inherent risk. It's picking who to take that risk on that seems more of the crux of the biscuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad