Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Florida vs Vegas in the cup final? Reinhart or Eichel winning the cup. Always seems like ex-sabres players are winning cups.
The hockey gods determined that penance had to be paid for the tank.

So the debt is now paid.

P.S. I guess the Sabre's MD's were wrong about Eichel's surgery?

Or was that just the rationale used to be able to get rid of him?

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Who knows and who cares. Just making a general observation to NOTABLE players.

Both first line players and one a star. Guys who are part of a losing culture win elsewhere.

Even though the culture is changing here it goes to show the bigger problem is the organization and not the players.
The Sabres traded two former 2OV picks to teams that were already playoff contenders.

I don't believe it says much about Buffalo.

The hockey gods determined that penance had to be paid for the tank.

So the debt is now paid.

P.S. I guess the Sabre's MD's were wrong about Eichel's surgery?

Or was that just the rationale used to be able to get rid of him?
I wouldn't say the Sabres doctors were wrong. They were being risk adverse by saying that they were not comfortable with Eichel being the first NHLer to have that surgery.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The Sabres traded two former 2OV picks to teams that were already playoff contenders.

You are right, along with ROR getting the Con Smythe in St. Louis and winning the cup after leaving Buffalo and us losing for 12 straight years it has nothing to do with the organization.

Imagine a player saying he lost his love of the game playing in Buffalo and winning the Con Smythe and the cup a year later in St. Louis and you saying it says nothing about Buffalo organization. Yikes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You are right, along with ROR getting the Con Smythe in St. Louis and winning the cup after leaving Buffalo and us losing for 12 straight years it has nothing to do with the organization. Yikes.
What did St Louis selling off ROR and others this season versus the Sabres being buyers say?

What did Vegas missing the playoffs last year and Florida barely edging the Sabres out to make the playoffs this year say?

Reactions: Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
What did St Louis selling off ROR and others this season versus the Sabres being buyers say?

What did Vegas missing the playoffs last year and Florida barely edging the Sabres out to make the playoffs this year say?
No no I am agreeing with you. 12 years record in all of professional sports and its not the organization.

Its always the players fault. You got it right. No losing culture here.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No no I am agreeing with you. 12 years record in all of professional sports and its not the organization.

Its always the players fault. You got it right. No losing culture here.
So, it is never the players that have created this "losing culture" that you speak of?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The Panthers are a great example of how getting a lucky break at the right time can have a huge impact.

The team they are now is what they’ve always had the capability of being. But for a variety of reasons they weren’t able to put it together during the season. Zito decides to have faith in his group at the deadline and makes no moves. Even with losing Knight a week prior.

Things weren’t looking great for a playoff spot near the end of the season with 8gms to go. Then something no one should have expected happens. Journeyman pro goalie Alex Lyon saves their playoff hopes by playing out of his mind in the next 7gms. He was 6-0-1 with a SV% around .945.

Sometimes this sport is just weird. But fun if your a fan of the team it happens to.

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Panthers are a great example of how getting a lucky break at the right time can have a huge impact.

The team they are now is what they’ve always had the capability of being. But for a variety of reasons they weren’t able to put it together during the season. Zito decides to have faith in his group at the deadline and makes no moves. Even with losing Knight a week prior.

Things weren’t looking great for a playoff spot near the end of the season with 8gms to go. Then something no one should have expected happens. Journeyman pro goalie Alex Lyon saves their playoff hopes by playing out of his mind in the next 7gms. He was 6-0-1 with a SV% around .945.

Sometimes this sport is just weird. But fun if your a fan of the team it happens to.

If they win it (and I'm definitely rooting for them now), it's gonna be awesome when everyone forgets just how lucky Florida was down the stretch and starts talking about the "Florida model of success"

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Both first line players and one a star. Guys who are part of a losing culture win elsewhere.

Even though the culture is changing here it goes to show the bigger problem is the organization and not the players.

ROR won the Con Smythe after getting traded from the sabres and Eichel has a chance depending on how him and Bobrovsky plays.

The problem is/was the organization.

You are right, along with ROR getting the Con Smythe in St. Louis and winning the cup after leaving Buffalo and us losing for 12 straight years it has nothing to do with the organization.

Imagine a player saying he lost his love of the game playing in Buffalo and winning the Con Smythe and the cup a year later in St. Louis and you saying it says nothing about Buffalo organization. Yikes.
Tacos and Meatloaf are both made from ground beef.

I've had crappy tacos and good tacos. I've had crappy meatloaf and good meatloaf.

Is it the ground beef? The chef/cook? The kitchen/restaurant?

Imagine being a Bruins fan eating filet mignon (or pick your personal favorite) all season, then come playoff time it's a slab of cold Spam straight out of the can covered with hunks of the gelatin to boot. (Although I'm perfectly fine with Bruins fans having that experience.)

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

I've had crappy tacos and good tacos. I've had crappy meatloaf and good meatloaf.

Imagine being a Bruins fan eating filet mignon (or pick your personal favorite) all season, then come playoff time it's a slab of cold Spam straight out of the can covered with hunks of the gelatin to boot. (Although I'm perfectly fine with Bruins fans having that experience.)
huh? And winning the Stanley Cup is better than missing the playoffs 12 years in a row. Now spin that record breaking statistic into something other than a losing culture instead of ground beef.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I wouldn't say the Sabres doctors were wrong. They were being risk adverse by saying that they were not comfortable with Eichel being the first NHLer to have that surgery.
when Eichel runs into Bennett or Gudas this will be a whole new can of worms....

this was incredible lol

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
when Eichel runs into Bennett or Gudas this will be a whole new can of worms....
Fairly certain Eichel will be a focus of attention for Bennett and Tkachuk, if Maurice can get/wants that matchup.

I thought the Panthers bullied Carolina to a certain extent. Don't think they'll be able to do that with VGK.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Fairly certain Eichel will be a focus of attention for Bennett and Tkachuk, if Maurice can get/wants that matchup.

I thought the Panthers bullied Carolina to a certain extent. Don't think they'll be able to do that with VGK.
Vegas has some Big dmen and a Kolesar...so maybe not...guess we will see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vegas has some Big dmen and a Kolesar...so maybe not...guess we will see.

They will likely play the way they play, right at the edge, regardless of who they are facing. Hathaway and Greer and even Clifton are pretty pugnacious guys and it didn't matter a bit against the Bruins.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York

Why not have Barkov vs Eichel? Barkov destroyed him every time they were on the ice together here.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

ROR won the Con Smythe after getting traded from the sabres and Eichel has a chance depending on how him and Bobrovsky plays.

The problem is/was the organization.
I suspect even if Vegas wins the cup, Tkachuk or Bob still have a good chance at the Conn Smythe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Listening to Friedman and Marek talk about the Hurricanes need for goal scoring, that goal scorers get paid, and I still am mildly amused that RBA still hates on Jeff Skinner so hard, even with Skinner's ES goal production post-Krueger.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Listening to Friedman and Marek talk about the Hurricanes need for goal scoring, that goal scorers get paid, and I still am mildly amused that RBA still hates on Jeff Skinner so hard, even with Skinner's ES goal production post-Krueger.
Perhaps Skinner is not suitable for RBA system, because everyone has to defend there, and Jeff is not strong in this and does not like to do it very much.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Perhaps Skinner is not suitable for RBA system, because everyone has to defend there, and Jeff is not strong in this and does not like to do it very much.

That's certainly part of it, but in the background, the thought that RBA being a jerk about it when Skinner left and to this day is mildly satisfying.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's certainly part of it, but in the background, the thought that RBA being a jerk about it when Skinner left and to this day is mildly satisfying.
Well, they probably didn't work well together, maybe even for the same reason that Jeff doesn't like being defensive. Granato did a great job of bringing Skinner to life and he had the best season of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad