Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
when you skate behind the defenseman to enter the paint contact with the goalie is always going to be on you. Players know what they’re doing entering the crease like he did last night. It was called 100% correctly.

we don’t know what would have happened if this goal was challenged because it wasnt challenged. Dallas must think that when you are tripped up by Heiskanen….it‘s going to be on him.
Not sure I agree with that.

You're saying that a defender can push an offensive player into his own goalie as long as he uses his butt? And it's automatic goalie interference?

I think if an offensive player gets between the defender and the goalie it doesn't matter what direction the defender is facing when the defender pushes the offensive player into the goalie. It's not goalie interference.

Looking at last nights play:
VGK should have been on the PP after the Bleuger goal. Heiskanen tripped Kolesar into Otter, so VGK scored on that delayed penalty, but Suter also elbowed Kolesar in the side of the head while he was falling into Otter from the Heiskanen trip.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Not sure I agree with that.

You're saying that a defender can push an offensive player into his own goalie as long as he uses his butt? And it's automatic goalie interference?

I think if an offensive player gets between the defender and the goalie it doesn't matter what direction the defender is facing when the defender pushes the offensive player into the goalie. It's not goalie interference.

Looking at last nights play:
VGK should have been on the PP after the Bleuger goal. Heiskanen tripped Kolesar into Otter, so VGK scored on that delayed penalty, but Suter also elbowed Kolesar in the side of the head while he was falling into Otter from the Heiskanen trip.
No I’m saying, and the league agrees, that when a player takes a line behind a defenseman and into the crease…he is explicitly inciting contact when it is his job to avoid contact. This is the right call. It doesn’t matter that he was squeezed into contact because he, himself, put himself into that position and into the goalie’s space.

How you enter the crease is important. the defender backing into him isn’t why he was there. He was there because he purposely entered the crease on his own

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
No I’m saying, and the league agrees, that when a player takes a line behind a defenseman and into the crease…he is explicitly inciting contact when it is his job to avoid contact. This is the right call. It doesn’t matter that he was squeezed into contact because he, himself, put himself into that position and into the goalie’s space.

How you enter the crease is important. the defender backing into him isn’t why he was there. He was there because he purposely entered the crease on his own
But the defender pushed the attacker like an extra 6-12inches into the crease, which is what caused the contact with the goalie.

Your argument is that if an offensive player puts himself into the crease, it's fair game to push him into the goalie and it's goalie interference?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yep and also that Dubbie asked for more money. I wonder if Kyle thought,” Hey, Shanny signed off on the contracts for the Big Fore, why not on me too?”
Seeing as they had come to a gentleman’s agreement before the playoffs (In March) and went past the first round, it’s not that surprising to see them ask for more money. Dubas’ agent wouldn’t do his client a good service if he didn’t try.

But all of that seems to not matter as Shanahan had a different mindset prior to that towards Dubas before that came over. Just preparing for the inevitable firing of Shanahan if this decision doesn’t produce better results.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seeing as they had come to a gentleman’s agreement before the playoffs (In March) and went past the first round, it’s not that surprising to see them ask for more money. Dubas’ agent wouldn’t do his client a good service if he didn’t try.

But all of that seems to not matter as Shanahan had a different mindset prior to that towards Dubas before that came over. Just preparing for the inevitable firing of Shanahan if this decision doesn’t produce better results.

Both TSN and SportsNet folks have mentioned that the MLSE ownership is still smarting over still paying Babcock and that if Shanny didn't have a 2nd year left on his deal, he might be unemployed too. As a fan of a team looking to gain ground on Toronto, this is fascinating viewing. :D

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Both TSN and SportsNet folks have mentioned that the MLSE ownership is still smarting over still paying Babcock and that if Shanny didn't have a 2nd year left on his deal, he might be unemployed too. As a fan of a team looking to gain ground on Toronto, this is fascinating viewing. :D
When egos get in the way of success...I’m here for the show for sure. The more information that comes out, the more I feel Toronto is on the fast track back to mediocrity. If there’s a piece of any sort of drama that unfolds with the core 4, these next few months look out.

But hey, I’m sure it’s a great idea to make an emotional decision of firing your GM about 5 weeks before a ton of important deadlines take place.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When egos get in the way of success...I’m here for the show for sure. The more information that comes out, the more I feel Toronto is on the fast track back to mediocrity. If there’s a piece of any sort of drama that unfolds with the core 4, these next few months look out.

But hey, I’m sure it’s a great idea to make an emotional decision of firing your GM about 5 weeks before a ton of important deadlines take place.

The draft and more importantly all of those guys in their about to hit UFA this summer and next in five weeks and Shanny is making a decision on feels. And there was no alternative/backup plan laid out in the press conference... it's amazing. And then the list of potential replacements is like fumbling through the recycling hopper for a bunch of failed guys with big egos of their own? :eek:

:popcorn:

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Doesn’t really pass the smell test imo, MLSE is backed by unlimited money

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They may be a mess. Consider how they screwed over the Raptor's Ujiri, this points to problems further up. Isn't Rogers still "temporary" CEO? It's almost like Ballard's ghost is pushing buttons at their ownership level.

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I dunno, you could just call penalties according to your own rulebook, it seems to work for other pro sports :dunno:

Not even two weeks since he crosschecked Pietrangelo in the face after the period ended. :laugh:

Chris Simon had over 200 NHL fights and still stomped on a guy. Fighting didn't stop him, or Pronger, or Cooke from doing this.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I guess it's not that he wanted more money, but the way he asked for it.
They talked in person several times where he could have asked for it, but then sends his agent and writes mails.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Reinhart with a really nice primary assist there!

Glad they got it done in one extra period. I wasn’t going to make it through 4 OT’s tonight. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad