Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It appears a Patrik Laine trade will not take place until the forward exits the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program.

Laine is eligible to be traded while in the program, but Columbus Blue Jackets president and general Don Waddell told The Athletic (opens in a new tab)that interested parties want to speak with the player before making a move to acquire him. No team, including the Blue Jackets, is allowed to contact Laine while he remains in the program.

"Teams keep checking in to see if there’s anything new,” Waddell said. “I tell them, ‘You guys have to be comfortable with [Laine], and I can’t help you.’ I don’t know the player personally. I’m not one to try and trick people either, so [we] made him available to chat [when he’s cleared].”

----------

Waddell added that he's not worried about interested teams spending their money elsewhere now that the bulk of free agents have signed deals.

“There really aren’t a lot of free agents out there,” he said. “If [teams] have the [salary] cap [space] today, they’ll probably still have it tomorrow. I know there are teams that are still interested.”

Waddell said in June he was hopeful to make a hockey trade to move Laine as both sides looked to part ways.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
IMG_9180.jpeg

NY taxes may be high, but there are other player recruitment advantages.

:sarcasm:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I didn't flinch when Iginla moved, probably because he hopped around after leaving Calgary.

Now, Bourque in an Avs jersey or Brodeur in a Blues jersey on the other hand, that was some weird shit.
Modano in a Red Wings jersey.
Alfredsson in a Red Wings jersey.
Robitaille in a Red Wings jersey.

I'm sensing a trend here...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Personally seeing Guy LaFleur as a Nordique was the strangest, albeit he did suit up with the Rangers the season before

Met him after he played in Buffalo, got his autograph in an old NHL Guide and Record Book that I think got donated to a used book store or something. It was weird with him as a Nord for sure.

Also weird that new Edmonton boss man Jeff Jackson was on that Nordique squad.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad