Most Successful NHL Players Outside of Hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The example I remember was Jimmy Carson, who I believe had a stronger interest in finance than hockey when he was playing. (I don't mean this in an insulting way - I remember it as something he said about himself, but could be wrong.)

Success isn't only money. Measured in other ways (community presence, reputation, family), Clark Gillies had it pretty good.

PS It seems to me that among the ex-athletes that became public figures (administrators, elected officials, etc.) that the list (especially recently) is dominated by ex basketball and football players. I suspect that has nothing to do with the sport, and everything to do with college being an essential part of a career, which is not the case with hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dickie Moore had great success in construction tools & equipment rental. I still regularly see his rented mobile offices on the streets in Montreal.

View attachment 902416
Yeah those spill into Ontario, too. I see them west of Ottawa and likely a bit further

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Marian Stastny owned a golf and hotel in the Quebec City area since the early 90's until 2022 when he sold it.

I went there once over a decade ago because there was not a single hotel room available anywhere else that night and was shocked when Marian was actually behind the desk to greet us.

Great experience.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They were born into it though. Their family was wealthy before they were born. The most noteworthy thing Mike has done to many people, is marry (and divorce) a celebrity.
If the thread is based on money they made after hockey then it has to be Lemieux. He made $350 million from his sale of the Penguins plus more when you count his other investments.

Reactions: DaveG

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
peter forsberg owns the euro version of crocs (i believe my memory is dying)

0XBcYMg.jpeg

I remember seeing this image in non-hockey memes and it didn't dawn on me for a long time that it was Forsberg in the photo.

My memory is fuzzy too, but I think Forsberg worked out a deal where he was part of the distribution of Crocs to Scandinavia/Europe. Vaguely recall some anecdote that one year Forsberg made more from the Crocs partnership than he did from his NHL salary. Not totally sure, but I think they took a hit around the time of the 2008 stock market collapse.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If the thread is based on money they made after hockey then it has to be Lemieux. He made $350 million from his sale of the Penguins plus more when you count his other investments.
The OP asked for non-hockey related success though. Lemieux's ownership of the Penguins stemmed from his playing time as a player. I agree though, Lemieux's post-hockey earnings were incredible thanks to his ownership of the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad