Confirmed with Link: Ian Clarke Changing Roles / Marko Torenius Promoted

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin claims that the 58 year old Clark told him he has major shoulder and knee issues, and just can't get out the ice everyday, anymore. And I believe him. I actually think at this stage of his career, Clark might be more valuable as a scout ferreting out the next crop of young goaltenders for the Canucks to draft.

He just has a new role. It's not like the Canucks are losing him.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Where is the shoulder and knee stuff coming from? Is it speculation or is there a source?

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Where is the shoulder and knee stuff coming from? Is it speculation or is there a source?
Sportsnet (Ian MacIntyre) is reporting it

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
after reading @F A N 's post in the other thread, i figure that all these years of showing the butterfly position to goalies has taken its toll on his hips

Yeah, it's called getting old. :wally:
Ya. There shouldn't be too much games played wear and tear but he's getting up there in age. We see that he does get down on his knees and showing the movements when he's coaching. Being involved in the day to day is more work.

He's been coaching since about 2000, when he was around 34/35. Prior to that, the only thing I could find was that he played for UBC in 87/88 as a teenager. Can't find if he was playing goalie at some other level until he was mid to late 20's.

I wonder how the likes of Roy, Hasek, Fuhr, Moog, Vernon are as they would be late 50's to mid 60's now.
I think the lucky ones are able to walk around and do everything day activities without pain. Luongo has put on the pads since retiring too.

Keep in mind that there's a transition through the eras though. Many of the older generation were what we would consider today standup goalies. Fuhr and Moog were more or less standup goalies. After Roy, there were still many hybrid goalies. Vernon I think was more hybrid. Hasek did everything he could to stop pucks. Even then the definitions have evolved.

Mossey can explain this better, but the modern day goalies are taught a style that requires them to seal the bottom part of the net with their pads and even when you're moving side to side. Imagine trying to be on your knees and stretching out your legs to cover the bottom parts of the net with no light in between the pads and the ice. And when the puck goes cross ice and you're already on your knees, you're often required to rotate and push yourself to get to the other side while still sealing the bottom part of the net as much as possible so you remain in this save position. Roy didn't do that (granted the game also wasn't as fast and the equipment wasn't as good).

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Sportsnet (Ian MacIntyre) is reporting it

The fact that Demko begged Benning in a zoom call to bring back Clark is nuts. Stupid ass GM is stupid

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Woodley didn’t say exactly what it it is but said that Clark believes the goalie needs to be the hardest worker on the team and he includes himself in that. He’s 60 and all of that has taken a toll and he’s had a ton of procedures. Can’t remember if he mentioned hips or knees but yeah, just life time of hard goalie stuff is basically what he said
That makes total sense. Too bad because he's been so incredible for our organization in that role. But I have faith that the new guy will be great, sounds like he's worked with some of the best.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Just happy to have Clarke still in the system. He's done wonders for the organisation, helping out our goalies fundamentals for years now. He deserves a break as he is probably inching his way closer to retirement. Clarke has done a hell of a job.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think people are trying to find controversy when there isn't any.

Clarke asked for the change. He wanted a different, lesser role. It's not a big deal he's not the director of goaltending anymore.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think people are trying to find controversy when there isn't any.

Clarke asked for the change. He wanted a different, lesser role. It's not a big deal he's not the director of goaltending anymore.
Absolutely!.....Clarke went to Allvin and requested the change in position, and outlined his physical limitations in getting out on the ice every day. What's the GM going to do--say 'no'?

Clark still has two years remaining on his contract--and is just transitioning into a different role at his request.

Reactions: David71

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Congrats to Pogge. He's been around the block with plenty of international playing experience.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I always assumed that Ian Clark got some credit for how far Arturs Silovs came as a goaltender last season. I guess as the Canucks head goaltending consultant, the does get some credit.

But the guy who worked with him day in and day out in Abbotsford last season was Marko Torenius. So I suppose he can also take a bow for Nikita Tolopilo, who also had a strong first season in the AHL. In fact, if you gauge it by stats, Tolopilo might had a better season than even Silovs.

Reactions: BimJenning

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I always assumed that Ian Clark got some credit for how far Arturs Silovs came as a goaltender last season. I guess as the Canucks head goaltending consultant, the does get some credit.

But the guy who worked with him day in and day out in Abbotsford last season was Marko Torenius. So I suppose he can also take a bow for Nikita Tolopilo, who also had a strong first season in the AHL. In fact, if you gauge it by stats, Tolopilo might had a better season than even Silovs.

It might have even been a better season that EP’s last year in Sweden

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I need the season to start because the artificial drama that members of the media are trying to stir up about this is making my curated Twitter account hard to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: rypper and geebster

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Have to really wonder how the Leafs furtunes might've changed had they went with the other goalie prospect they had.

major-league-theyre-still-shitty.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad