Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
McDavid is the best player in the world, possibly the best player ever. Draisaitl is one of the top 10 (maybe top 5) players in the world right now, and has been for a long time. They've done plenty to earn it, your two-game sample size aside. McDavid and Draisaitl are the top two scorers in the playoffs.

It's hard to imagine a world where Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen didn't win a single championship together, but that's essentially what we've got with the Oilers right now. I don't want the Oilers to be a dynasty (mostly because I'm hoping the Ducks can get back in there), but I'd like to see them get one.
One deserves it when performing when it's necessary. This is how you "deserve it", not by regular season scoring numbers.

Since you mentioned Jordan, now there's a sportsman who "deserved it" by taking it, who performed in the finals, who could barely be stopped by anyone or any team.

It's absolutely valid thing to say they need to earn it, and one earns it by being the best when it matters the most. That's what separates grestest of them all from really good players.

Reactions: Deuce22

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
McDavid is the most skilled player in the league, his speed may push him to most skilled ever.

While there is no “I” in team there is one in McDavid. Other than drawing defenses to him, I’m not sure how he makes his teammates better.

John

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
One deserves it when performing when it's necessary. This is how you "deserve it", not by regular season scoring numbers.

Since you mentioned Jordan, now there's a sportsman who "deserved it" by taking it, who performed in the finals, who could barely be stopped by anyone or any team.

It's absolutely valid thing to say they need to earn it, and one earns it by being the best when it matters the most. That's what separates grestest of them all from really good players.
Yes, small sample size luck and performance of the supporting cast is what separates them.

Lol. Pray tell what, then, could McDavid possibly do to make his teammates better? McDavid is already better than Crosby.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Well I guess I have to root for the Oilers to come back and tie the series and have it go 7 games. Still rooting for Florida.

PLD turns 26 on June 24, the same date as a projected Game 7. That bumps his buyout from 1/3 to 2/3.

There are some things that are just more important.

John

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Well I guess I have to root for the Oilers to come back and tie the series and have it go 7 games. Still rooting for Florida.

PLD turns 26 on June 24, the same date as a projected Game 7. That bumps his buyout from 1/3 to 2/3.

There are some things that are just more important.

John

How realistic is a buyout anyway? I mean, even at 1/3 it's an embarrassing admission of a serious mistake ... the kind that frankly can get a front office fired. It's one thing to buy out the last few years, another to buy out 7 seasons.

I think regardless they're gonna ride it out and hope he starts giving a crap. It's the only thing that could save them on this trade. Anything else is a career killer for the Kings brass, who else would hire them after that?

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
How realistic is a buyout anyway? I mean, even at 1/3 it's an embarrassing admission of a serious mistake ... the kind that frankly can get a front office fired. It's one thing to buy out the last few years, another to buy out 7 seasons.

I think regardless they're gonna ride it out and hope he starts giving a crap. It's the only thing that could save them on this trade. Anything else is a career killer for the Kings brass, who else would hire them after that?
It is a catch-22 for Kings mgmt.

If you don’t buy him out and he continues at this level for a couple more years the buyout is $22m plus $17m in salary, and cap constraints of 2 years at $8.5m + buyout cap.

If you buy him out now it costs $20m and a longer but lower cap hit.

Signing him is probably viewed as a mistake no matter how it goes since their window is nearly completely closed.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad