Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Mika is one of our five best PP players and you know he is. This is such a narrative. You're better than this.

Not a reply to this post, but I just always have a funny moment whenever I see the "You're better than this" comment from somebody, and my eyes do a slow scan up to the name of the poster they were quoting, and I have to actually do an assessment :laugh:

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
I don’t think this at all. Nothing on this site annoys me more than people who say the Laf truthers just want to see his point totals look good. You’re the one coping here, not them.
There's no reason we shouldn't let Laf try his stuff on PP1 during the preseason. Honestly, it should have been tried when the unit went ice cold this postseason.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Mika is one of our five best PP players and you know he is. This is such a narrative. You're better than this.
He used to be.

Now he just fumbles the puck, turns it over at the slightest hint of pressure, or takes onetimers from 50 feet out at terrible angles.

Laf can actually enter the zone with speed, something we desperately lack on this very slow paced unit.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He used to be.

Now he just fumbles the puck, turns it over at the slightest hint of pressure, or takes onetimers from 50 feet out at terrible angles.

Laf can actually enter the zone with speed, something we desperately lack on this very slow paced unit.
He did that during the sample of a playoff series and half of another, yes.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean it's a great quote when you're winning but it doesn't really mean much. Where were all those dogs with 'will' when they were losing 9-3 in Game 5 last season?

Florida is good team, and winning the Cup is stupid hard, but these player quips are just pointless
It's so easy to be a dog when you're winning.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I was mocked, ridiculed, blackballed & publicly shamed!
IMG_1012.jpeg

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
You have no evidence for Laf being an effective PP player. Again, you know this. It's really sad to see a smart poster pushing boomer ass narratives that I expect out of the Larry Brooks people.

I have not jumped on the people who suggested we try it. I discussed that with @PuckLuck3043 last night.

To act like it's this factual thing and the Rangers are just refusing to do it is pushing an agenda. There's a mountain of evidence that Zibanejad is effective on the powerplay and Laf is untested. If anything, those are the facts.
There’s no evidence that Laf wouldn’t be a good power play player, he crushed it in juniors. Just mountains of evidence that he’s miles better than zib at every aspect of 5v5 offense and a lack of any meaningful 5v4 sample to draw from for Laf in the NHL

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
As near as I can tell, and I live here, they plan on announcing the fan voted name sometime during the season. Shameless jersey selling.

It’s stupid, just give the team the real name and sell real jerseys

I don't really get what soccer has to do with it.

Soccer teams if you pay attention, most are called Toronto fc and so forth. It’s lazy and honestly not a name for a team

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Lafreniere is a better offensive player than both Trocheck and Zibanejad. Not giving him a shot on PP1 because of some perceived mysticism around our current unit, is just wrong.

Maybe it turns out that having Trocheck there for faeoffs, and having Zibanejad there to occasionally run hot with his shot, is the better option. But Lafreniere is already more dangerous than them both, he's younger, he has the pedigree of a top ~80th percentile 1OA pick, and he's fresh off demonstrating how he may be the guy we need to lean on in the playoffs.

Just give the kid full reign already; enough of this holding him back nonsense. He should have been forcefed minutes from the get go, much less now that he's a horse.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
When's that PLD buyout coming so we can sucker rob "sucker" Blake into taking Zika zibankrnakd for a 1st and prospect

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
When's that PLD buyout coming so we can sucker rob "sucker" Blake into taking Zika zibankrnakd for a 1st and prospect
It's only happening if Florida finishes this quick, because he will turn 26 on the 24th day.

But I thought they shot that rumour down anyway. Blake isn't going to buy out a contract he just signed less than 12 months ago.

Reactions: Tob

94leetch

Oct 29, 2022
It’s stupid, just give the team the real name and sell real jerseys

Soccer teams if you pay attention, most are called Toronto fc and so forth. It’s lazy and honestly not a name for a team
Well think about it.
They'll initially sell a shit ton of UHC jerseys, then when the new name/jerseys are introduced, rinse and repeat. The initial jerseys will be viewed by some as potential collector additions.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Lafreniere is a better offensive player than both Trocheck and Zibanejad. Not giving him a shot on PP1 because of some perceived mysticism around our current unit, is just wrong.

Maybe it turns out that having Trocheck there for faeoffs, and having Zibanejad there to occasionally run hot with his shot, is the better option. But Lafreniere is already more dangerous than them both, he's younger, he has the pedigree of a top ~80th percentile 1OA pick, and he's fresh off demonstrating how he may be the guy we need to lean on in the playoffs.

Just give the kid full reign already; enough of this holding him back nonsense. He should have been forcefed minutes from the get go, much less now that he's a horse.
E42E0F50-2DBD-4402-A76D-30419281C71F.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad