Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
We don't live in an ideal world. Taking him off the powerplay makes him more useless than he already is. And he's not bad at it to the point that it desperately needs to happen.

We know what Zibanejad is at even strength. You're being disingenuous saying he's not good on the powerplay to push a weird narrative.

View attachment 882627
In what way does a cup or bust team benefit from not playing their 5 best power play skaters on the power play. If lafreniere makes the PP1 better then that’s where he should be. If your argument is “well Laf is the better option but it’s going to make his next contract cost more” then that’s an entirely different discussion. I get everything you’re saying though. You think the difference between Laf/Mika wouldn’t be much so it wouldn’t make sense to elevate Laf and increase his cost for the minimal upgrade at best. However I’m very confident that the difference between Mika and Laf on this power play would be significant. Idk if it would be reflected in their generation/conversion rates over a full season where they will just farm shitty teams but it absolutely would be against strong pressure PKs like CAR/PHI/FLA. Also, limiting opportunities for deserving young players so that they cost less is the most extra chromosome ass attempt at salary cap 3D chess ever, and it shouldn’t even be relevant for a win now team, although I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s part of the consideration for NYR. If this team had 3 brain cells Mika would be on Buffalo and Laf would be on an 8x6 as a ~ point per game player by now.

I also don’t really care about what these models say for power play. Idk how a model is supposed to figure out who the weak links are when the same 5 players play virtually every minute together for years in a row.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
A big reason pp2 never improves is because Miller or Trouba spends 75% of the season on it. Put Jones there for an entire season and everyone out there will get quality puck touches with space on the half wall to mold their game.

The Rangers are not playing in the finals thanks to NYR management and coaching "logic", which means you purposefully play a weaker version of your team in the Stanley Cup playoffs because of Very Stupid Reasons. Imagine having the option of going into the playoffs with your best team and you chose not to, then you get bounced and pretend it was all preordained and there was nothing you could do.

The Spanish Inquisition was less dogmatic and more intellectually nimble than the Rangers.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Laf and his agent aren't stupid lol. He obviously has very favorable 5v5 numbers while having very limited PP time. The fact that he is doing it on a team that continues to struggle at even strength isn't lost on anybody. Laf's agent doesn't need any more leverage if he has another season like he just had. It's not gonna keep his next contract lower by any significant amount. Not even giving him a chance on the PP1 next year is just gonna end up pushing him away and pissing him off, it's usually a good idea to keep your cornerstone players happy.

In fact, isn't Mika the guy you wanna push away anyway? Let him get mad and waive his NMC. I know that's fantasy land stuff but a boy can dream... Despite that though, removing his safety net could push him to be more productive in other situations.

Regardless saying "PP1 is elite so why change it?" is stagnation and stagnation is the death of progress.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I wonder how the Rangers would have ended up faring against the Oilers. Sucks that it could be the Rangers up 3-0 in an alternate universe.
I think it would have been a long series but tbh I think we probably lose the series. Their top guys would have gotten a ton of chances against us. We aren't Florida.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
"Just from the start, our compete and our will and the want to win this one was huge,” Bennett said. “Everyone down to our goalie were battling their butts off. It was nice to see the effort. You either have it, or you don’t. We have 23 dogs on our team that have that will. You either have it, or you don’t.

This is the mentality we need on the team. We have about two dogs....:oops:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Haha the Edmonton BUMS getting outmatched. Florida is just too good. McDavid is the best player in the world but he can't even buy his team 1 win. Bobrovsky stole one for Florida in game 1. Even old man Crosby would have found a way to will his team to one win. No 'Cup for you Canada or McDavid so thankfully we won't have to hear all that bag licking for the next year. This was Mcdavid's best chance with Edmonton, I don't see them getting another crack at it. YA BLEW IT!!!

Reactions: Tob and Siddi

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
McDavid for Shesterkin, who says no?
Did you just copy my thread in the Trade Sub with McDavid? :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Did you just copy my thread in the Trade Sub with McDavid? :laugh:

No but great minds think alike haha

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Haha the Edmonton BUMS getting outmatched. Florida is just too good. McDavid is the best player in the world but he can't even buy his team 1 win. Bobrovsky stole one for Florida in game 1. Even old man Crosby would have found a way to will his team to one win. No 'Cup for you Canada or McDavid so thankfully we won't have to hear all that bag licking for the next year. This was Mcdavid's best chance with Edmonton, I don't see them getting another crack at it. YA BLEW IT!!!
I'd rather the bag licking be for the best player in the world than another f***ing circle jerk in Florida. f*** that state, f*** those teams.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In what way does a cup or bust team benefit from not playing their 5 best power play skaters on the power play. If lafreniere makes the PP1 better then that’s where he should be. If your argument is “well Laf is the better option but it’s going to make his next contract cost more” then that’s an entirely different discussion. I get everything you’re saying though. You think the difference between Laf/Mika wouldn’t be much so it wouldn’t make sense to elevate Laf and increase his cost for the minimal upgrade at best. However I’m very confident that the difference between Mika and Laf on this power play would be significant. Idk if it would be reflected in their generation/conversion rates over a full season where they will just farm shitty teams but it absolutely would be against strong pressure PKs like CAR/PHI/FLA. Also, limiting opportunities for deserving young players so that they cost less is the most extra chromosome ass attempt at salary cap 3D chess ever, and it shouldn’t even be relevant for a win now team, although I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s part of the consideration for NYR. If this team had 3 brain cells Mika would be on Buffalo and Laf would be on an 8x6 as a ~ point per game player by now.

I also don’t really care about what these models say for power play. Idk how a model is supposed to figure out who the weak links are when the same 5 players play virtually every minute together for years in a row.
Mika is one of our five best PP players and you know he is. This is such a narrative. You're better than this.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t think this at all. Nothing on this site annoys me more than people who say the Laf truthers just want to see his point totals look good. You’re the one coping here, not them.
You have no evidence for Laf being an effective PP player. Again, you know this. It's really sad to see a smart poster pushing boomer ass narratives that I expect out of the Larry Brooks people.

I have not jumped on the people who suggested we try it. I discussed that with @PuckLuck3043 last night.

To act like it's this factual thing and the Rangers are just refusing to do it is pushing an agenda. There's a mountain of evidence that Zibanejad is effective on the powerplay and Laf is untested. If anything, those are the facts.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You have no evidence for Laf being an effective PP player. Again, you know this. It's really sad to see a smart poster pushing boomer ass narratives that I expect out of the Larry Brooks people.

I have not jumped on the people who suggested we try it. I discussed that with @PuckLuck3043 last night.

To act like it's this factual thing and the Rangers are just refusing to do it is pushing an agenda. There's a mountain of evidence that Zibanejad is effective on the powerplay and Laf is untested. If anything, those are the facts.
There should be a greater initiative to experiment when things have hit a wall, and not enough coaches do it in this league. I agree, on the face of it, Laf doesn't fit on PP1. If it has a cold stretch, then swap it out. You can experiment during the RS.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
This is the mentality we need on the team. We have about two dogs....:oops:
I mean it's a great quote when you're winning but it doesn't really mean much. Where were all those dogs with 'will' when they were losing 9-3 in Game 5 last season?

Florida is good team, and winning the Cup is stupid hard, but these player quips are just pointless

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Florida is good team, and winning the Cup is stupid hard, but these player quips are just pointless
I think one could hardly blame McDavid and Draisaitl form sucking in the playoffs. They have been bad this series, but they are all time performers.

Reactions: mike14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad