Who are best "garbage goal" scorers in the NHL today?

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
As much as I hate that term - "garbage goal" - it is a term that every hockey fan understands. It is usually a goal scored by someone near to - if not in - the goal crease. Often the scorer is tapping in a rebound, or deflecting a shot on the net. Throughout the history of the NHL, there have been players who specialized in scoring "garbage goals." Camille Henry, Dave Andreychuk and Johan Franzen are three excellent examples.

Who are the forwards today who specialize in scoring "garbage goals"?

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
With Reinhart on their powerplay in 2023-24, the Sabres would have made the playoffs.
With Reinhart on the team they make the playoffs. Shame how it happened but Sam didn’t want to be part of another rebuild and I really don’t blame him. Sabres fans don’t boo him at key bank center for a reason. But no hard feelings. I hope he wins the cup in FLA along with e rod and Okposo

Reactions: Davenport

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
With Reinhart on the team they make the playoffs. Shame how it happened but Sam didn’t want to be part of another rebuild and I really don’t blame him. Sabres fans don’t boo him at key bank center for a reason. But no hard feelings. I hope he wins the cup in FLA along with e rod and Okposo
If I could whisper in Lindy Ruff's ear, I would suggest that - on the powerplay - he have Tage Thompson adopt the style which worked so well for Johan Franzan. With his size, no one is going to move Thompson; and with his reach he could get his stick on anything anywhere near the net. He would make life miserable for the goalie trying to see the coming shot.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I guess we could debate if you should call deflection goals garbage goals, especially if the player knows what he is doing and has a great hand-eye coordination.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If I could whisper in Lindy Ruff's ear, I would suggest that - on the powerplay - he have Tage Thompson adopt the style which worked so well for Johan Franzan. With his size, no one is going to move Thompson; and with his reach he could get his stick on anything anywhere near the net. He would make life miserable for the goalie trying to see the coming shot.
Franzen can't play with his kids for long periods of time. His life got ruined.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I guess we could debate if you should call deflection goals garbage goals, especially if the player knows what he is doing and has a great hand-eye coordination.
Garbage goals demand a lot of skill, dealing with pucks in odd angles, getting past the goalie with very little space, getting the right elevation in tight etc.

I guess you could define it differently, like using goaltender interference to score or whatever.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He might not be that prolific a goal scorer but Hischier certainly fits the description. He seems to score most of his goals either around of the net or with his wrist shot of the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad