Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Idk what game you were watching. What Panthers were actually injured? Rodrigues did his usual, I'm going to lay on the ice for 5 minutes and not miss a shift. He did the same thing at least twice against us. Ekblad was laying on the ice for multiple minutes and also didn't miss a shift and Listerine's supposed career ending injury according to Ferraro had him miss a single shift. Like I said, FL was reaching european soccer levels with their dives and faking injuries the minute the opposition plays the same physical game they do.
Ummmmm Barkov?? :laugh: It's only the hottest topic on HF/hockey media right now

Reactions: Captain Lindy

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Idk what game you were watching. What Panthers were actually injured? Rodrigues did his usual, I'm going to lay on the ice for 5 minutes and not miss a shift. He did the same thing at least twice against us. Ekblad was laying on the ice for multiple minutes and also didn't miss a shift and Listerine's supposed career ending injury according to Ferraro had him miss a single shift. Like I said, FL was reaching european soccer levels with their dives and faking injuries the minute the opposition plays the same physical game they do.

Headshots only allowed against Floriduh's opponents. Draisatl channeled his inner Messier with that forearm shiver. too bad the league has gone soft.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
A Dallas vs Florida series could have been much more beneficial to a NY vs EDM series. Reason being the latter is already a saturated market. However, the former could lead to much more exposure in the South in an attempt to continue to grow the sport and add to the fanbases.

I get revenue, but sometimes looking at ROI makes sense too. Not saying they pushed either team, but just stating that just because a large market didn't make the final doesn't mean it's not beneficial for the NHL or the sport.
100%. The main NHL markets are always going to be revenue centers regardless of the local team performance. Sure there will be some increases if NYR, CHI, DET, BOS, and most Canadian teams are doing well, but the most significant increases occur when the lower exposure markets do well since the NHL is literally non-existent there unless the local team is winning.

Reactions: qwertyaas

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Ummmmm Barkov?? :laugh: It's only the hottest topic on HF/hockey media right now
I am 100% certain Barkov will play in game 3 and he probably would have come back into Game 2 had FL not gone up by 2. That was a nothing hit that is only getting any form of attention because of the other things that happened at the end of the game. The Bennett charge on Lindgren that gave him the black eye was significantly worse than that hit. The Lomberg elbow to teh side of Vesey's head and the Bennett sucker punch were significantly more dangerous plays.

Reactions: Synergy27

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
100%. The main NHL markets are always going to be revenue centers regardless of the local team performance. Sure there will be some increases if NYR, CHI, DET, BOS, and most Canadian teams are doing well, but the most significant increases occur when the lower exposure markets do well since the NHL is literally non-existent there unless the local team is winning.
The Rangers being good and in the running for the the Cup is more beneficial to the NHL than any other team .

No other team would get non-hockey fans interested. And no McDavid doesn’t move that needle.

Reactions: AirGut

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
A Dallas vs Florida series could have been much more beneficial to a NY vs EDM series. Reason being the latter is already a saturated market. However, the former could lead to much more exposure in the South in an attempt to continue to grow the sport and add to the fanbases.

I get revenue, but sometimes looking at ROI makes sense too. Not saying they pushed either team, but just stating that just because a large market didn't make the final doesn't mean it's not beneficial for the NHL or the sport.
Dallas-Florida would also be like the worst representation of the sport.

Lmao I gotta go check on the Pens fans.

Reactions: qwertyaas

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
The Rangers being good and in the running for the the Cup is more beneficial to the NHL than any other team .

No other team would get non-hockey fans interested. And no McDavid doesn’t move that needle.
It's not beneficial when the whole point is not to have teams fold or go bankrupt.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Florida can't cry foul when they've been doing the same exact shit only worse all playoffs. Jimmy Vesey comes to mind, Brad marchand, Mika.

I respect the hell out of Florida as a team but they are owed a couple cheap shot injuries. They’ve given out far more than they’ve received

Reactions: mike14

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I don't disagree but it works.

if they don't get punished for it, then why stop? It's up to the officiating to solve this problem and that won't happen

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Arizona Update…4 bidders, including Alex Meruelo, have registered for the land auction in northeast Phoenix where the Coyotes hope to build a new arena.

I told you there would be a lot of interest in that piece of land.

The auction is scheduled for June 27.

Wait, isn't the sale to Utah a done deal? Meruelo is a billionaire businessman, probably pretty sharp but he knows nothing about hockey. He bought the Coyotes because he saw a business opportunity in a growing market, but as I understand it the Coyotes were more or less a front to his wider operations.

94leetch

Oct 29, 2022
From what I understand and get this, the NHL plans on having another team in Arizona. Here in Utah they're already taking money for season ticket plans.

Reactions: CLW

94leetch

Oct 29, 2022
Call me cynical but the Oilers not even getting fined for the hit on Barkov , the NHL knows they'll get some casual fans tuning in for next game just for the potential fireworks.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wait, isn't the sale to Utah a done deal?
Yes, but he has an opportunity to bring back the Coyotes (not from Utah, but as a franchise) if he gets the arena situation sorted out in the next few years. This was written in the sale contract. He owns the Coyotes franchise still as intellectual property, he just sold the hockey ops to Utah.

Something like that.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yes, but he has an opportunity to bring back the Coyotes (not from Utah, but as a franchise) if he gets the arena situation sorted out in the next few years. This was written in the sale contract. He owns the Coyotes franchise still as intellectual property, he just sold the hockey ops to Utah.

Something like that.

Ok, that makes sense.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Call me cynical but the Oilers not even getting fined for the hit on Barkov , the NHL knows they'll get some casual fans tuning in for next game just for the potential fireworks.

I don't think thats it.

It's just hard for them to justify suspending a star player in the finals. If that were Kane (who has a history) or uh... McLeod, they probably sit for a game or 3.

They also set the bar pretty high as for what is worthy of a suspension when Bennett was allowed to sucker punch Marchand, but thats a different story.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
I don't think thats it.

It's just hard for them to justify suspending a star player in the finals. If that were Kane (who has a history) or uh... McLeod, they probably sit for a game or 3.

They also set the bar pretty high as for what is worthy of a suspension when Bennett was allowed to sucker punch Marchand, but thats a different story.
Agree. To me this entire thing is terrible job by NHL officiating. I get the swallow the whistle philosophy, but playoffs or not, you can't ignore the malicious and obvious interference penalties. These are far more dangerous than hits where a player is expecting it / near the puck. Florida has done a ton of this in the last 2 series (at least) and it directly leads to physical escalations and retribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad