Around the NHL - Part XLII - (Playoffs Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I mean, as much as we lose like 4 out of 5 series' to Florida, we were the favourite against Carolina and would have been the favourite against Edmonton. All we really needed to happen for us to have a great chance this year would have been for Boston or Tampa to pull off an upset.

And I'll cut off the Canes fluffing now, by saying yes, I know what odds makers were saying about them. I don't care; they were wrong. We were the favourite in that series.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Some of you guys need to take the homer goggles off, vast majority agree that was suspension worthy and we have far more Oilers fans voting than Panthers fans lol

I don't get just rooting against a team for beating you, they weren't getting away with anything egregious against us. They are the better team. And we're better than Edmonton, and it's not remotely close.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
we could've beat Florida too...Game 4 was in OT, Game 5 we were up 1-0 after 2, Game 6 would've been 0-0 after 2 if Trouba didn't go way out of position. yeah we aren't as good as they are but it was still all right there for the taking. not to mention all of the bullshit penalty calls.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Some of you guys need to take the homer goggles off, vast majority agree that was suspension worthy and we have far more Oilers fans voting than Panthers fans lol

I don't get just rooting against a team for beating you, they weren't getting away with anything egregious against us. They are the better team. And we're better than Edmonton, and it's not remotely close.

Lol really?

They got away with plenty in the NYR series and have the entire playoffs so on that end, no it wasn't NYR specific. It's one of the more bizarre subplots of the entire post season as they were one of the most penalized teams during the regular season.

No one has denied that Florida was better than the Rangers are. I'm rooting against Sam Bennett more than I'm rooting against Florida.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Maurice has the Panthers locked in.

They are up on the puck in every zone. Positioning in the D zone is flawless like it was later in the series against us. This is their Cup to lose imo.

Stinks the Rangers couldnt win that series because I think they are a better team all-around than the Oilers, even with the warts they have.

Oh, well. Its fun to dream. At least it looks like they lost to the Cup champs

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Lol really?

They got away with plenty in the NYR series and have the entire playoffs so on that end, no it wasn't NYR specific. It's one of the more bizarre subplots of the entire post season as they were one of the most penalized teams during the regular season.

No one has denied that Florida was better than the Rangers are. I'm rooting against Sam Bennett more than I'm rooting against Florida.
What motivation would the league have to prefer an Edmonton-Florida matchup than an Edmonton-New York matchup? That's probably the highest possible ratings for any matchup in the league

Every fanbase of every sport believes the refs, league, etc are biased against their team, it is completely irrational

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What motivation would the league have to prefer an Edmonton-Florida matchup than an Edmonton-New York matchup? That's probably the highest possible ratings for any matchup in the league

Every fanbase of every sport believes the refs, league, etc are biased against their team, it is completely irrational

I don't think that it's driven by the league. It's just something that is happening for whatever reason. There have been teams that just get away with shit that other teams don't get away with (Trotz Isles being the king example of this, and in that case it was more obstruction based shit. They got called for most of their dirty shit though were always under penalized) but they normally get away with that stuff during the regular season too.

It's not really irrational to say that Florida has gotten away with a ton of shit during this run, they have. It's just weird to see them go from being one of the most penalized teams to like the least penalized team once the playoffs started. Especially with the volume of dirty stuff that some of their players have done.

Reactions: Graves97

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
no sympathy for florida. live by the sword, die by the sword. our guys don't have it in them to be shitheads, and that's commendable, but i believe it makes winning a cup harder and less likely.

Reactions: will1066 and AirGut

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York

A Dallas vs Florida series could have been much more beneficial to a NY vs EDM series. Reason being the latter is already a saturated market. However, the former could lead to much more exposure in the South in an attempt to continue to grow the sport and add to the fanbases.

I get revenue, but sometimes looking at ROI makes sense too. Not saying they pushed either team, but just stating that just because a large market didn't make the final doesn't mean it's not beneficial for the NHL or the sport.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I have no qualms about McD and Draisaitl being the new "dirtiest players in the game" meme if it takes the spotlight off Trouba who's been unfairly persecuted for trying to keep alive and protect an age-old part of the game. We need the league's offensive stars to help keep hitting and post whistle shenanigans sacred. When Florida dives more than what we'll see in Paris 2024, all's fair with the borderline hits on them.

Last edited:

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

This I agree with you. It's amazing that we think McDonough and Ferraro and the refs are out to get us on every broadcast while the rest of the fanbases think they're cupping our balls the entire time.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This I agree with you. It's amazing that we think McDonough and Ferraro and the refs are out to get us on every broadcast while the rest of the fanbases think they're cupping our balls the entire time.
Still doesnt change the fact that the ESPN coverage blows and McDonough is a shit play by play announcer who has no business calling a Cup final

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

Give Leon a medal. I love it. I want more of it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Still doesnt change the fact that the ESPN coverage blows and McDonough is a shit play by play announcer who has no business calling a Cup final

McDonough stumping for David Quinn last night was hilarious. Its the Stanley Cup Final but he had to shoe-in how the league has screwed over his buddy. Probably why he doesnt like the Rangers tbh.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Not bashing his skill, I’m saying he’s awkward AF and honestly an embarrassing ambassador to the sport. He is an unlikeable diver and never gets called, and idk what game you were watching when the Oilers literally injured half of their team lol. Panthers play a physical game, sure they’re a pain in the ass to play against but I’d love our team to play more like them.
Idk what game you were watching. What Panthers were actually injured? Rodrigues did his usual, I'm going to lay on the ice for 5 minutes and not miss a shift. He did the same thing at least twice against us. Ekblad was laying on the ice for multiple minutes and also didn't miss a shift and Listerine's supposed career ending injury according to Ferraro had him miss a single shift. Like I said, FL was reaching european soccer levels with their dives and faking injuries the minute the opposition plays the same physical game they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad