Around The NHL (Part XLI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
But who is the other guy fighting against? Call offsetting minors in that case.

Fighting is pretty much defined by dropping gloves and throwing punches. If one player doesn't take the bait, the other guy gets the fighting major. And I've seen plenty of situations where the player dropping his gloves is trying to get the other player because of a clean hit. It happens less and less because there is less fighting.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
I hope the Flames feast on the Oilers tonight.
Maybe the loser Oiler management will realize that successive #1 picks does not a winner make.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
About Edmonton:
+ Pittsburgh sucked for 4 years too
-The Pittsburgh picks are much better

A point often overlooked when people talk about how amazing the Oilers are going to be "in a few years" every year at the draft when they make their annual lottery pick. The Penguins ended picking the best player in the league and the second best player in the league. Not to mention a goalie.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Patrick Marleau has equalled a 96 year old record by scoring 2 goals in each of the Sharks' first four games.

The Sharks look good again, but I've seen that story for many seasons now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Because we think Brady Skjei will be the better player in the long run?

Yeah, but I understand the motives for questioning the passing on Matteau. Skjei, yet another D, while we could really do with an offensive draft pick being able to play immediately.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Man both Marleau and Thornton are on fire. Marleau has 8 goals and 11pts in four games. Thornton has 11pts. Not to mention Paveleski has 8 assists as well.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Yeah, but I understand the motives for questioning the passing on Matteau. Skjei, yet another D, while we could really do with an offensive draft pick being able to play immediately.

"Yet another D?"

Our third pairing is garbage, if you didn't realize. I'd REALLY love to see Skjei and McIlrath bring us a dynamic third pairing in the future.

Or maybe even higher up, if we can't resign one of our big 4.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
"Yet another D?"

Our third pairing is garbage, if you didn't realize. I'd REALLY love to see Skjei and McIlrath bring us a dynamic third pairing in the future.

Or maybe even higher up, if we can't resign one of our big 4.

Yes, yet another D since he won't be playing for the Rangers any time soon. The Rangers could have picked a guy like Matteau or another played who was NHL-ready at the draft. Now we have another D-man for the future.

Not that I mind, but I understand why people would have preferred Matteau who is already cracking the line-up in NJ. And it's not like Matteau is a name being dropped just now. During the draft he was mentioned a lot on these boards as the Rangers 1st round pick.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, yet another D since he won't be playing for the Rangers any time soon. The Rangers could have picked a guy like Matteau or another played who was NHL-ready at the draft. Now we have another D-man for the future.

Not that I mind, but I understand why people would have preferred Matteau who is already cracking the line-up in NJ. And it's not like Matteau is a name being dropped just now. During the draft he was mentioned a lot on these boards as the Rangers 1st round pick.

Matteau would not be on the Rangers this season so it doesn't matter. The Rangers want their players to dominate at their level first. It's a much more patient approach.

16 To Stanley*

The devils are desperate. They lost parise and don't have guys to fill there lineup other than Kovy and Zajac/Henrique. They need offensive skill hence the reason for Matteau being brought in so quickly.

Look at it this way. If Kreider was on the devils, he'd be getting huge minutes, but right now it's a debate whether he should be a healthy scratch or sent to the minors. The rangers are as interested in the now as they are in the future and its really shown in there development. If Matteau was a Ranger he probably wouldn't be on the team and if he was, he sure as hell wouldn't be in the role that he's playing on the devils.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Just watched last night's Kings-Yotes replay on NHLN. Goalies are getting quick whistles this year. And getting the benefit of the doubt in general. Quick let the puck go through his five hole, but the ref blew it dead before it went through him. Terrible. Should have been a goal.

And I'm not even going to talk about the horrible no-goal that went against CBJ yesterday. That was ****.

Kershaw

Just watched last night's Kings-Yotes replay on NHLN. Goalies are getting quick whistles this year. And getting the benefit of the doubt in general. Quick let the puck go through his five hole, but the ref blew it dead before it went through him. Terrible. Should have been a goal.

And I'm not even going to talk about the horrible no-goal that went against CBJ yesterday. That was ****.

Worst call I may have ever seen. CBJ got screwed so badly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad