Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I don't mind shootouts because they can be pretty entertaining and ties suck ass. But that 3-2-1 system sounds like a good idea.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I'd rather become a fan of the Blues than have ties return.

How does a shootout determine who the better team is on a given day? It is a stupid gimmick that has no place in determining a winner or loser.

Furthermore, what is wrong with two teams being as good as each other on a given night and calling it at that? The fascination with needing a winner or loser is so odd.

member 151739

The fascination with needing a winner or loser is so odd.

It's like reading a book and at the end, the protagonist and antagonist simply shake hands and go their separate ways. I'd throw that book across the room.

The shootout is a necessary evil. TV restraints, the fact it's just a regular season game, and the players would get tired. The game has to end. In a perfect world, I'd prefer just overtime. But I know that's not likely. So a shootout is fine. I would like, however, a 10 minute overtime before the shootout.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How does a shootout determine who the better team is on a given day? It is a stupid gimmick that has no place in determining a winner or loser.

Furthermore, what is wrong with two teams being as good as each other on a given night and calling it at that? The fascination with needing a winner or loser is so odd.

Seriously. Nobody is calling for ties in the post season. Sometimes two teams are just even. End of story.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1h
Told #CBJ asst. GM Bill Zito and Ryan Johansen's agent, Kurt Overhardt, met yesterday in Traverse City. No progress; still $3M apart / year

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 2h
#CBJ say they wish Johansen had arbitration rights now, that a deal would be done. That's how strongly they feel about $3.5M offer.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 2h
RT @PlanetCBJ: @Aportzline @Peej_Jones Do you think #CBJ goes no higher than 3.75 m. per on Johansen contract? / They say no. We'll see. (Bold is Portzline's answer)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think he saw how Bobrovsky handled the bridge demand from Jackets and wants to replicate that

Bob got a 2 yr deal but a 5.6M cap hit

Problem for Johansen is that Bob had a legit KHL offer (I believe 10M) and was coming off Vezina year.

Jackets got the bridge years but had to give in on $$$ demands of Bob. Unless KHL comes calling and Johansen is actually willing to go he has very little leverage

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Johansen had a good season last year, but the season before he was a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs. You can't fault Columbus for wanting to be sure of the player they actually have.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Johansen had a good season last year, but the season before he was a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs. You can't fault Columbus for wanting to be sure of the player they actually have.

Cant fault Johansen though for proving his doubters in organization wrong and expected to be rewarded for it

He has become the face of that franchise in Columbus alongside Bobrovsky

He also saw that laughable contract that RHN got from Oilers and is using that as comparable

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Proving his doubters wrong would be coming out again this season and building upon what he did last year. One year of good hockey does not constitute being elevated to where Johansen thinks he is. I love his game, but he has to prove it for more than just one season.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Cant fault Johansen though for proving his doubters in organization wrong and expected to be rewarded for it

He has become the face of that franchise in Columbus alongside Bobrovsky

He also saw that laughable contract that RHN got from Oilers and is using that as comparable

I don't see one year as proving doubters wrong.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well he did prove his doubters wrong and had breakout year

Now if they want a bridge so much then he should demand a 1 yr deal which I believe would give him arbitration rights next offseason and open him up to offer sheet potential

I bet the Jackets would be opposed to that because if he proves it again then he will get his big $$$ potentially from someone else

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Well he did prove his doubters wrong and had breakout year

Now if they want a bridge so much then he should demand a 1 yr deal which I believe would give him arbitration rights next offseason and open him up to offer sheet potential

I bet the Jackets would be opposed to that because if he proves it again then he will get his big $$$ potentially from someone else

1 year is not proving his doubters wrong long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad